RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial, Professional Radio and Personal Radio > Budget and Entry Level Transceivers

Budget and Entry Level Transceivers - For discussion of budget or entry level radios such as Baofeng, Wouxun, Puxing and other radio communications designated as commercial but not targeted for Amateur or GMRS. Also included are MURS and ISM 900MHz designed radios.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-05-2018, 10:42 AM
Lead Wiki Manager
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyShack View Post
I did not see anything related to output purity like spurious signals or high harmonic content. It apears they can still be used in the Amateur service...
True. This recent FCC citation does not address spurious emissions, just the suitability for the service to which the radios were marketed.

However, I would not take that as a statement from the FCC that the subject radios "can still be used in the amateur service". 97.307(e) still applies to radios used in the amateur radio service.

"The whole world's living in a digital dream. It's not really there, it's all on the screen." -- WB6ACU
Sponsored links
Old 08-07-2018, 10:47 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill4long View Post
The radios were capable of being programmed outside of Part 90 frequency specs. Why the FCC type accepted them in the first place is puzzling because they did pass the vetting process. At any rate, this is not going to materially affect the available of CCRs.
I agree 100%. Part of the problem is it appears nobody inside the FCC is checking what gets type accepted. The FCC appears to be simply reacting to complaints when they come in.

The FCC is probably 3 to 6 months ahead of what is publicly known so far through the citation. I think we can expect to see a few more Baofeng related documents come out over the next several months so stay tuned.

GMRS [ZA] = KAE9013 (12/1992)
Old 08-07-2018, 11:22 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by n1das View Post
I think we can expect to see a few more Baofeng related documents come out over the next several months so stay tuned.
It will be interesting to see if the FCC takes action on other complaints regarding other vendors who sell these radios to customers, knowing they don't comply.

var radioList = new List<Radio>();

Last edited by call_sign_null; 08-07-2018 at 11:28 AM..
Old 08-07-2018, 9:14 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default All over the place

I just had a set of Baofeng 777 or 888 radios. They came with ten or so channels randomly programmed. You can re program them with software, but they are basic radios with a volume knob and channel knob-no display or way to do this without plug and software...so pretty much none of them will be re programmed. I got them from a college theater group...realized I had no need for them, and passed them on to a local farmer. Actually decent little radios, other than the unfortunate channels programmed in.
Old 08-10-2018, 6:36 AM

Default FCC Cracks Down On Baofeng Radios

The dam has been breached and the FCC has now started going after the company selling the Baofeng portable radios here in the U. S.

The link is here: https://www.rrmediagroup.com/News/Ne...s/newsID/17192

Jim
Old 08-10-2018, 8:41 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim202 View Post
The dam has been breached and the FCC has now started going after the company selling the Baofeng portable radios here in the U. S.

The link is here: https://www.rrmediagroup.com/News/Ne...s/newsID/17192

Jim
Too little Too late.
Old 08-10-2018, 9:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFI-EMI-GUY View Post
Too little too late.

The FCC should be preventing this junk from getting certified in the first place. The FCC certification process is misused and abused. They pass junk that would never meet industry standards ( TIA-603D ) as long as the garbage fits within the emissions masks. That's why you see funky low deviation emission designators and radios rated at exactly 1.476548 Watts.

Look at all the EF Extended Frequency and "Part 9" certifications by these companies WTF? over.

Then the uncertified, DC to light stuff being sold as "Ham Radio" to the unwashed masses.

The FCC and US Customs are just letting any crap come in.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
Yep, agree 100%.

They (the FCC) have only themselves to blame. But now these things are out there. I have mine.
Old 08-10-2018, 9:22 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I still think the FCC's actions are too little, too late.
Old 08-10-2018, 12:44 PM

Quote:
I went to the website of the seller. They are pushing a radio called the ATR-22. While I was checking the FCC certs for this Part 90 radio, a chat box popped up.
FYI, the ATR-22 is a BF-888 in a different plastic housing. We have used them occasionally in the past. The FCC ID on the radios from that time period were completely fake. It looked like they took another, valid ID number and added a letter or number.
Old 08-10-2018, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W9BU View Post
According to the citation, the FCC has to issue a citation before they can issue an NAL.
Yep. AFAIK, if they jump straight to NAL, it can be successfully challenged.
Old 08-10-2018, 12:56 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans13 View Post
Yep. AFAIK, if they jump straight to NAL, it can be successfully challenged.
Does this weak enforcement by FCC smell of political intervention?

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
Old 08-10-2018, 1:07 PM

Quote:
Does this weak enforcement by FCC smell of political intervention?
My opinion, just my opinion, this is a typical federal regulatory agency being itself. Politics always plays a role at some level. But, I don't think it is specifically of political intervention beyond that an organized group has been complaining about it for a while. Again, IMHO, it's just the FCC being it's usual, incompetent self; just like any other federal alphabet soup entity.
Old 08-10-2018, 2:47 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

The DOJ is buying CCRs

https://www.fbo.gov/index?s=opportun...=core&_cview=1

hope you enjoyed the humor, TGIF
milf CAN'T hear me, I've got private line
Old 08-10-2018, 5:45 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans13 View Post
FYI, the ATR-22 is a BF-888 in a different plastic housing. We have used them occasionally in the past. The FCC ID on the radios from that time period were completely fake. It looked like they took another, valid ID number and added a letter or number.
There are 2 FCC IDs for BF-888S and one for ATR-22.
https://fccid.io/ZZ2-ATR-22
https://fccid.io/ZP5BF-888S
https://fccid.io/2AJGM-BF888S
The internal photos of the PCB are different for each one. There is no telling what you are buying or what other clones are out there.
Old 08-10-2018, 7:51 PM

With millions already in use, to say the horse is already out of the barn
would be the understatement of the century.
Old 08-10-2018, 8:31 PM

Wow, you mean after ALL these years the FCC FINALLY looked at the CCR and said..., "Hey, that ain't right! Nor legal! Well I'll be damn!"
Old 08-10-2018, 8:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nd5y View Post
There are 2 FCC IDs for BF-888S and one for ATR-22.
https://fccid.io/ZZ2-ATR-22
https://fccid.io/ZP5BF-888S
https://fccid.io/2AJGM-BF888S
The internal photos of the PCB are different for each one. There is no telling what you are buying or what other clones are out there.
The ATR-22 radios we had were very early production with a fake FCC ID and programmed under Chirp as BF-888.

Thanks for the list. I'll check it out.
Old 08-10-2018, 9:39 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default FCC/Boafeng

If my comment is not appropriate, delete. No harm, no foul. I agree with the idea of too little, too late. That being said,I can say as a long time civil service employee if anyone thinks that the FCC (especially under the "leadership" of Ajit Pi) is going to REALLY do anything to any person or corporation to slow the flow of CCRs being imported, Guess again. Sorry, but our alleged government agencies are not designed to look for, or resolve problems. They are only designed to keep the sheep in the pen and suck every bit of money they can from said sheep. Just sayin'. Let the hatin' begin! Peace.
Old 08-11-2018, 12:23 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Ever so true---the funny part is they fine left and right-(alot of money has been taken in) but give it back to the cell companies for there 5g garbage to run the internet of things--multi millions have been raised at auctions and pockets are lined nicely

the proof is in black and white--this is 4 years in the making as said in other posts--so its gonna be a small fine an im sorry wrong stickers we will fix the problem and the case will be terminated like the past 6 led light company enforcement cases
Old 08-11-2018, 9:39 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipfd320 View Post
Ever so true---the funny part is they fine left and right-(alot of money has been taken in) but give it back to the cell companies for there 5g garbage to run the internet of things--multi millions have been raised at auctions and pockets are lined nicely
The FCC is owned by the telecom cartels. They really could care less about part 90, 95, 97, and anything that isn't an LTE band. It's an annoyance to them and they (along with the cartels) want it to go away. If allowing a few million Baoturd spurious/unauthorized emission generators into the hands of the general public who use them to fill that LMR/PMR spectrum with hash and trash gets more users to transition to the cartels' networks where everything is "pay to play", it's a win-win for the FCC and their constituents.

The engineering minded people were ejected out of the agency decades ago. Current chairman is a shill for the cartels. Look at his bio. This is all a dog and pony show. Nothing will happen. And plenty of jamming CCRs will continue to be sold.