RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog
 

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial, Professional Radio and Personal Radio > Budget and Entry Level Transceivers


Budget and Entry Level Transceivers - For discussion of budget or entry level radios such as Baofeng, Wouxun, Puxing and other radio communications designated as commercial but not targeted for Amateur or GMRS. Also included are MURS and ISM 900MHz designed radios.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 10-29-2018, 2:33 PM
Member
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Wichita Falls, TX
Posts: 7,441
Default Harris military radio clone?

Check this out...
https://www.chierda.com/GP-152A-Chie...pd6070910.html


https://www.harris.com/solution/harr...handheld-radio
__________________
Tom
Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 10-29-2018, 2:49 PM
prcguy's Avatar
Member
   
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 6,880
Default

They did a good job replicating a Harris case but its in no way a clone. The innards are similar to a $25 Baofeng UV-5R. Kind of like a Rolls Royce kit car made from an old Volkswagen.


Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 10-29-2018, 2:51 PM
Member
   
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: New York North Carolina and all points in between
Posts: 2,406
Default

Vaporware, can't order it from that site. Alibaba has it for $188.00, but doesn't show shipping costs until you complete order, and I didn't do that. The other thing is no frequency ranges given, no power out levels or sensitivity. I agree probably a Befonger in a cheap plastic look alike case.

On another Chinese site 446shop.com it gives the specs, but I wouldn't count on it.

Found others on e-bay listings that appear to be a FRS radio.

Last edited by radioman2001; 10-29-2018 at 3:12 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 10-29-2018, 3:31 PM
mmckenna's Avatar
Member
   
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: WTVLCA01DS0
Posts: 9,329
Default

There's a number of these on e-Bay.

Cheap CCR's in a fancy box. Aimed at the Airsoft guys so they can look like real soldiers. The ones I've seen on e-Bay have no FCC numbers on them. VHF/UHF coverage. No spec's given.

I agree, not a knock off, it's a look-alike toy for grown adults pretending they are soldiers.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 10-29-2018, 3:34 PM
mmckenna's Avatar
Member
   
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: WTVLCA01DS0
Posts: 9,329
Default

Some of these show internal photos. None have FCC ID's.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/TRI-AN-PRC-...f631:rk:1:pf:0
https://www.ebay.com/itm/METAL-SHELL...vUBh:rk:4:pf:0
Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 10-29-2018, 3:46 PM
prcguy's Avatar
Member
   
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 6,880
Default

I've seen one Chinese version of the PRC-152 and the MBITR and you cannot tell them from the real thing by looking at the case. I've had them next to the real thing and its an impressive physical copy. The internal radio is a dual band VHF/UHF and works about the same as a Baofeng, not that bad but not great either.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 10-29-2018, 4:07 PM
Member
   
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Florida, where you wish you were!
Posts: 2,371
Default

I had the Triumph version and it was cheap. Looked good, actually performed OK, but it was a cheap radio inside. RX audio was super weak and tinny. But there was plenty of room inside it to mod it, increase audio output, add equalization, and install a better speaker.

Programming it was a stone cold b***h. REALLY non-intuitive and even with the aid of the manual, it wasn't easy. The only thing I'd say for it was that battery life was killer and it was at least a functional dual band radio. Not awful. Not even for the price. But it's just a cheap radio with a certain cosmetic to it. Expect no miracles.
__________________
No, I will not program your radio for you. No, I will not give you any software. Don't ask unless you want a rude answer.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 10-29-2018, 11:47 PM
TrooperBruceMichaels's Avatar
Member
   
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: West of the Mississippi
Posts: 77
Default

MBITR is 30-512 MHz. These look like them, but the are FM Radio, 136-174 & 400-512.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 10-30-2018, 2:25 AM
RFI-EMI-GUY's Avatar
Member
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 2,444
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by prcguy View Post
They did a good job replicating a Harris case but its in no way a clone. The innards are similar to a $25 Baofeng UV-5R. Kind of like a Rolls Royce kit car made from an old Volkswagen.
Exactly!

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
__________________
"Have Spectrum Analyzer, - Will travel" "Standby for Traffic, Now Going Red"
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 10-30-2018, 2:27 AM
RFI-EMI-GUY's Avatar
Member
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 2,444
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmckenna View Post
There's a number of these on e-Bay.

Cheap CCR's in a fancy box. Aimed at the Airsoft guys so they can look like real soldiers. The ones I've seen on e-Bay have no FCC numbers on them. VHF/UHF coverage. No spec's given.

I agree, not a knock off, it's a look-alike toy for grown adults pretending they are soldiers.
I gotta wonder, with the way they market this, if some procurement officers in third world country's are being duped into buying these for their military.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
__________________
"Have Spectrum Analyzer, - Will travel" "Standby for Traffic, Now Going Red"
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 10-30-2018, 3:13 AM
krokus's Avatar
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Southeastern Michigan
Posts: 3,402
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by radioman2001 View Post
Vaporware, can't order it from that site. Alibaba has it for $188.00, but doesn't show shipping costs until you complete order, and I didn't do that. The other thing is no frequency ranges given, no power out levels or sensitivity. I agree probably a Befonger in a cheap plastic look alike case.

On another Chinese site 446shop.com it gives the specs, but I wouldn't count on it.

Found others on e-bay listings that appear to be a FRS radio.
The site given has a specs tab, showing the freq ranges. (Or did you mean Ali Baba has no specs given?)

Sent using Tapatalk
__________________
Generic radio geek, in southeast Michigan.
PSR-500, TM-742, TM-V71,TH-78, HTX-420, IC-2AT, IC-2E (clone), Pro-39, BC-235XLT, TK-290, XTS-5000
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 11-03-2018, 12:42 AM
rescuecomm's Avatar
Member
   
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Travelers Rest, SC
Posts: 952
Default

Quote:
I've seen one Chinese version of the PRC-152 and the MBITR and you cannot tell them from the real thing by looking at the case. I've had them next to the real thing and its an impressive physical copy. The internal radio is a dual band VHF/UHF and works about the same as a Baofeng, not that bad but not great either.
This ^

Somewhat more water resistant than the low priced Baofengs/Wouxuns as advertised too.
The TCA versions of the radios can use Harris headphones and batteries without modification. Where else can you get a new radio for $230 plus shipping that can use battle tested accessories?

Obviously, no manufacturer is going to be able to produce a fully equivalent copy of a PRC-152 for five percent of the real McCoy's price.

Bob
__________________
Amateur Extra Class
Travelers Rest, SC
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 11-03-2018, 5:48 AM
prcguy's Avatar
Member
   
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 6,880
Default

The market for these was originally paint ball enthusiasts but their popularity has crossed over to military radio collectors on a budget and the curious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFI-EMI-GUY View Post
I gotta wonder, with the way they market this, if some procurement officers in third world country's are being duped into buying these for their military.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 11-03-2018, 7:01 AM
Member
   
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 82
Default

I got a TRI 152.
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old 11-05-2018, 10:47 PM
rescuecomm's Avatar
Member
   
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Travelers Rest, SC
Posts: 952
Default

Well Pro-91, have you used it, tried out the water resistant case, and bought any of the large capacity battery packs?

A field report please.

Bob
__________________
Amateur Extra Class
Travelers Rest, SC
Reply With Quote
  #16 (permalink)  
Old 11-05-2018, 11:07 PM
mancow's Avatar
Member
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: N.E. Kansas
Posts: 5,565
Default

Probably had better audio than the speaker in my 5800.

Last edited by mancow; 11-05-2018 at 11:30 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #17 (permalink)  
Old 11-07-2018, 8:23 PM
rescuecomm's Avatar
Member
   
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Travelers Rest, SC
Posts: 952
Default

There is a pretty good thread on the PRC-148 clone and the various versions of the PRC-152 clones on M4Carbine.Net. It seems that one of the PRC-152 clones is advertised as have 28-30 mhz capability.

Bob
__________________
Amateur Extra Class
Travelers Rest, SC
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:57 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
All information here is Copyright 2012 by RadioReference.com LLC and Lindsay C. Blanton III.Ad Management by RedTyger
Copyright 2015 by RadioReference.com LLC Privacy Policy  |  Terms and Conditions