RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial, Professional Radio and Personal Radio > Budget and Entry Level Transceivers

Budget and Entry Level Transceivers - For discussion of budget or entry level radios such as Baofeng, Wouxun, Puxing and other radio communications designated as commercial but not targeted for Amateur or GMRS. Also included are MURS and ISM 900MHz designed radios.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-29-2018, 2:33 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default Harris military radio clone?

Check this out...
https://www.chierda.com/GP-152A-Chie...pd6070910.html

https://www.harris.com/solution/harr...handheld-radio
Old 10-29-2018, 2:49 PM

They did a good job replicating a Harris case but its in no way a clone. The innards are similar to a $25 Baofeng UV-5R. Kind of like a Rolls Royce kit car made from an old Volkswagen.

Old 10-29-2018, 2:51 PM

Vaporware, can't order it from that site. Alibaba has it for $188.00, but doesn't show shipping costs until you complete order, and I didn't do that. The other thing is no frequency ranges given, no power out levels or sensitivity. I agree probably a Befonger in a cheap plastic look alike case.

On another Chinese site 446shop.com it gives the specs, but I wouldn't count on it.

Found others on e-bay listings that appear to be a FRS radio.

Last edited by radioman2001; 10-29-2018 at 3:12 PM..
Old 10-29-2018, 3:31 PM

There's a number of these on e-Bay.

Cheap CCR's in a fancy box. Aimed at the Airsoft guys so they can look like real soldiers. The ones I've seen on e-Bay have no FCC numbers on them. VHF/UHF coverage. No spec's given.

I agree, not a knock off, it's a look-alike toy for grown adults pretending they are soldiers.
Old 10-29-2018, 3:34 PM

Some of these show internal photos. None have FCC ID's.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/TRI-AN-PRC-...f631:rk:1:pf:0
https://www.ebay.com/itm/METAL-SHELL...vUBh:rk:4:pf:0
Sponsored links
Old 10-29-2018, 3:46 PM

I've seen one Chinese version of the PRC-152 and the MBITR and you cannot tell them from the real thing by looking at the case. I've had them next to the real thing and its an impressive physical copy. The internal radio is a dual band VHF/UHF and works about the same as a Baofeng, not that bad but not great either.
Old 10-29-2018, 4:07 PM

I had the Triumph version and it was cheap. Looked good, actually performed OK, but it was a cheap radio inside. RX audio was super weak and tinny. But there was plenty of room inside it to mod it, increase audio output, add equalization, and install a better speaker.

Programming it was a stone cold b***h. REALLY non-intuitive and even with the aid of the manual, it wasn't easy. The only thing I'd say for it was that battery life was killer and it was at least a functional dual band radio. Not awful. Not even for the price. But it's just a cheap radio with a certain cosmetic to it. Expect no miracles.
Old 10-29-2018, 11:47 PM

MBITR is 30-512 MHz. These look like them, but the are FM Radio, 136-174 & 400-512.
Old 10-30-2018, 2:25 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by prcguy View Post
They did a good job replicating a Harris case but its in no way a clone. The innards are similar to a $25 Baofeng UV-5R. Kind of like a Rolls Royce kit car made from an old Volkswagen.
Exactly!

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
Old 10-30-2018, 2:27 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmckenna View Post
There's a number of these on e-Bay.

Cheap CCR's in a fancy box. Aimed at the Airsoft guys so they can look like real soldiers. The ones I've seen on e-Bay have no FCC numbers on them. VHF/UHF coverage. No spec's given.

I agree, not a knock off, it's a look-alike toy for grown adults pretending they are soldiers.
I gotta wonder, with the way they market this, if some procurement officers in third world country's are being duped into buying these for their military.

Old 10-30-2018, 3:13 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by radioman2001 View Post
Vaporware, can't order it from that site. Alibaba has it for $188.00, but doesn't show shipping costs until you complete order, and I didn't do that. The other thing is no frequency ranges given, no power out levels or sensitivity. I agree probably a Befonger in a cheap plastic look alike case.

On another Chinese site 446shop.com it gives the specs, but I wouldn't count on it.

Found others on e-bay listings that appear to be a FRS radio.
The site given has a specs tab, showing the freq ranges. (Or did you mean Ali Baba has no specs given?)

Sent using Tapatalk
Old 11-03-2018, 12:42 AM

Quote:
I've seen one Chinese version of the PRC-152 and the MBITR and you cannot tell them from the real thing by looking at the case. I've had them next to the real thing and its an impressive physical copy. The internal radio is a dual band VHF/UHF and works about the same as a Baofeng, not that bad but not great either.
This ^

Somewhat more water resistant than the low priced Baofengs/Wouxuns as advertised too.
The TCA versions of the radios can use Harris headphones and batteries without modification. Where else can you get a new radio for $230 plus shipping that can use battle tested accessories?

Obviously, no manufacturer is going to be able to produce a fully equivalent copy of a PRC-152 for five percent of the real McCoy's price.

Bob
Old 11-03-2018, 5:48 AM

The market for these was originally paint ball enthusiasts but their popularity has crossed over to military radio collectors on a budget and the curious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFI-EMI-GUY View Post
I gotta wonder, with the way they market this, if some procurement officers in third world country's are being duped into buying these for their military.

Old 11-03-2018, 7:01 AM

I got a TRI 152.
Old 11-05-2018, 10:47 PM

Well Pro-91, have you used it, tried out the water resistant case, and bought any of the large capacity battery packs?

A field report please.

Bob
Old 11-05-2018, 11:07 PM
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin

Probably had better audio than the speaker in my 5800.

Last edited by mancow; 11-05-2018 at 11:30 PM..
Old 11-07-2018, 8:23 PM

There is a pretty good thread on the PRC-148 clone and the various versions of the PRC-152 clones on M4Carbine.Net. It seems that one of the PRC-152 clones is advertised as have 28-30 mhz capability.

Bob