Pennyloop UHF Antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

digitalanalog

Seen this today and was giving some thought to making one but not real sure it would work for me, I need deep fringe antenna, i don't have any close TV stations and I live down in a valley.
Any thoughts on this design.

Here is a link to the information, it a long article so I will provide just the link.
Build the Pennyloop UHF Antenna

Input?

Jim

Attachments

• pennyloop1.jpg
    pennyloop1.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 1,912
  • pennyloop2.jpg
    pennyloop2.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 1,972

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
Might work. Try it. However, it is not going to provide as much gain in one direction as a regular UHF TV Yagi antenna would. The penny loop is bidirectional, so your gain will be split between the direction you want, and 180 degrees opposite that direction (which you may not need).

Delta33

Popnokick, Most of the stations I watch are East and West of me so if it has bidirectional characteristics then that should be ideal. :)

Golay

Will work for me

Might work. Try it. However, it is not going to provide as much gain in one direction as a regular UHF TV Yagi antenna would. The penny loop is bidirectional, so your gain will be split between the direction you want, and 180 degrees opposite that direction (which you may not need).

A bi-directional TV antenna would work for me.
Question: Is the gain facing the loops, or off the sides of the loops?
Thanks.

KR3LC

Premium Subscriber
...I need deep fringe antenna, i don't have any close TV stations and I live down in a valley....QUOTE]

Are you sure there are any signals even present? Being in a valley and being far from a transmitter could be an issue an antenna cannot overcome.

If you have not already done so, give these tools a try to see what stations are likely receivable in your location:
https://www.fcc.gov/media/engineering/dtvmaps
or this one
https://www.antennaweb.org/Address

VE6ND

Penny Loop

Jim
This is also known as a BiQuad antenna because of the two loops that form the driven element for a quad. If you are only looking in one direction then a flat reflector spaced about 8" behind the loops will give you about 7dBd gain.
I've used this type of antenna while mobile rover on UHF SSB.

Glenn, VE6ND

Status
Not open for further replies.