Armed Robbery gone bad in Mentone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Monitored San Berdoo sheriff dispatching units to armed robbery with shots fired and hostages at Mentone Liquor. It's the store on the bend of Hwy 38 that's famous for their jerky. Just east or Redlands in SoCal

Dispatcher advised RP stating 6 shots fired with a bad guy lookout out in front of the store and one bad guy in store holding the clerk.

Unit 101 said he was rolling but that was the last I heard on the scanner. Anyone hear anything else?

Last edited:

jlanfn

California Database Admin
Uh, I could see 40King doing an area check, but as there was no suspect vehicle description, it was only a couple of minutes before he left the scene. One victim was shot in the head (at least that was the original report) and was transported by AMR to the hospital (I forgot which one). He was concious and alert when the sheriff went on scene.

When the original call came out, there weren't any county units near the area so 4P31 came up on the Redlands PD Primary to ask for them to respond since they were closer. Redlands sent about three or four units code 3 to the scene and then they cleared as soon as the county units arrived.

Both suspects were GOA when PD arrived.

wires-n-pliers said:
It's the store on the bend of Hwy 38 that's famous for their jerky. Just east or Redlands in SoCal
Actually, I think the location of the liquor store is next to the A&W.

Yup. that's right, I got my stores mixed up. Thanks for the info, I missed the Redlands units being sent. Gotta check my TGs and see if I goofed on this scanner.

jrholm

By the way 101 is a CHP unit that frequently comes up on SBSO's and county fire radio. Especially when working in conjunction with them on a TC on the mountain roads.

Duster

Supposedly Retired...
Database Admin
jrholm said:
By the way 101 is a CHP unit that frequently comes up on SBSO's and county fire radio. Especially when working in conjunction with them on a TC on the mountain roads.

Unless things have changed since I worked there, 101 is also the Sheriff, in this case Gary Penrod, at least on the SBSD frequencies. It would depend upon the agency and the area as to who '101' would be. It might have been a Redlands PD unit (I don't know their numbering system).

jlanfn

jrholm said:
101 is a CHP unit that frequently comes up on SBSO's and county fire radio.
Very true. I have heard CHP come up on 8-Mtn-1 on several occasions. The "101" actually refers to the fact the the CHP unit is from the Arrowhead office. Usually when the unit uses the radio he says something like "Control, CHP 101-XX..." I guess that the XX depends on what area the unit is working.

Going back to the incident... I did notice, not for the first time, that when they're operating on other departments' channels, SBSO units only use their regular callsign (for example, "Redlands, 4P31...") Maybe it's a factor of their callsign system being so widely recognizable and there being no short way to say "county sheriff" quickly on the radio...oh well.

Here's a FOX11 video on the robbery.

Last edited:

Duster

Supposedly Retired...
Database Admin
jlanfn said:
Very true. I have heard CHP come up on 8-Mtn-1 on several occasions. The "101" actually refers to the fact the the CHP unit is from the Arrowhead office. Usually when the unit uses the radio he says something like "Control, CHP 101-XX..." I guess that the XX depends on what area the unit is working.

Going back to the incident... I did notice, not for the first time, that when they're operating on other departments' channels, SBSO units only use their regular callsign (for example, "Redlands, 4P31...") Maybe it's a factor of their callsign system being so widely recognizable and there being no short way to say "county sheriff" quickly on the radio...oh well.

Correct...the 'XX' in the CHP 101- callsign would refer to the beat that unit is assigned to.

San Bernardino County has a countywide numbering system in which every agency in the county has an assigned number (the first number in the ##-Name-## callsign). SBSD numbers go up through the 60's, and (at least in 1998 when I moved north) the cities with their own PD's were in the 90's (90-Paul-21). I don't remember exactly, but Colton and Rialto were 91 and 93, not necessarily in that order. All cities that use SBSD dispatching use the whole number. Cities with their own dispatch would often only use the full callsign when on the SBSD radio system. On their own radios, they would only use the last portion, or even use their own internal numbers.

This may have changed some (I know beat numbers have changed substantially...we only had single-digit beat numbers when I worked there. The new CAD system and patrol schedules required a change to two-digit beat numbers a few years ago), but that is the way it was as of 1998.

jrholm

Duster the two digits seem to be shift indicative. I've noticed localy 6P11, 6P21, and 6P31 are all the same beat area just indicate different shifts. I know we're going way off topic here but do you happen to know the various letter designators and what they stand for. I figure P is patrol, S is sgt., and D is detective but I've never gotten a handle on the others like A, B, or R.

jlanfn

This topic may have been discussed in a previous post, but perhaps I can help...

jrholm said:
I've never gotten a handle on the others like A, B, or R.
There are some resources out there on Socalscan and the Scannerstuff publications that list what these mean. Here are some of the more common ones:

A = Other/Special
B = Reserve Deputy
MET = Multiple Enforcement Team
R = Patrol - Roving
V = Volunteer
X = Traffic Enforcement

Also, the last two digits of the callsign, which the previously mentioned resources say refer to shift and beat, only apply to regular "beat units" (or "Paul" units). For example, the three Yucaipa traffic units, 14-X-10, 14-X-11 and 14-X-15, do not follow the shift and beat numbering.

Status
Not open for further replies.