New CHP frequency assignments? Cutover date?

Status
Not open for further replies.

b52hbuff

According to information in this forum, the CHP is going to a new frequency assignments. Any idea how it's going? When is the official cutover date? Will this happen statewide, or by dispatch center?

avtarsingh

Premium Subscriber
almost all of the mobile radios have been reprogrammed

some of the antenna jobs should be released soon

but it wont matter until the radios are released and installed ..

could happen anytime from the next few weeks to spring

no word on the new radios being released yet

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Chp

almost all of the mobile radios have been reprogrammed
can you provide the frequencies (and perhaps channel names) for what has been programmed? I suspect that the Excel file previosuly provided was edited at least a little. Thanks

benca

Premium Subscriber
CHP on

Has anyone came accross the new CHP talk groups?
The following is from the NAPCo news letter
http://www.napco.org/newsletters/090701nl.pdf

The California Highway Patrol (CHP) has begun a statewide initiative to upgrade communications capability for their officers.
The California Highway Patrol Enhanced Radio System, the “CHPERS” project for short, is a multi phased project that will add
7/800MHz Project 25 mobile radios to all patrol vehicles and portable radios to all field officers beginning in late 2009, with
estimated completion in late 2012
The new equipment will complement the CHP’s system wide radio enhancement effort, which will also include installation of
local 700 MHz base-station equipment at all field offices and commercial vehicle inspection facilities. The addition of the new
equipment will greatly improve the CHP’s ability to communicate during critical incidents and responses with agencies operating
on these bands throughout the state. Additionally, the CHP will begin using the 700 MHz channels acquired as the primary
band for the vehicle repeater system used to connect officers to the low band mobile radio when out of the vehicle.
Patrol vehicles will field a new package of mobile radios covering VHF low band, VHF high band, UHF and 700/800 MHz,
which will all be accessible through the vehicle repeater system.
The first rollout has begun in Sacramento County. The CHP entered into a Secondary User Agreement with the Sacramento
Regional Radio Communications System (SRRCS) allowing the new CHP portables to communicate directly with the law enforcement
and fire agencies in Sacramento County and the City of West Sacramento without a manual patch. Through an
agreement with the City of Roseville, SRRCS also added Roseville’s police talk groups to the new portables.
As part of the COPS 2007 grant, SRRCS, with the cooperation of the CHP, is adding a low band transceiver at their head in
and connecting it to an 800 MHz talk group; furthering SRRCS’s interoperability with the CHP.
At this month’s NAPCO meeting, representatives from CHP will be available to discuss their program in detail, and answer
questions that NAPCO members may have with the deployment.
Questions? Contact Lt. Evan Robinson at ERobinson@chp.ca.gov

Sac916

Has anyone came accross the new CHP talk groups?

As a secondary user they will not get their own Talk Groups, they have access to Primary User Talk Groups such as Sac Sheriff, Elk Grove PD, Citrus Heights PD, Sac PD, Folsom PD, Regional Fire etc

scannerboy02

Premium Subscriber
As part of the COPS 2007 grant, SRRCS, with the cooperation of the CHP, is adding a low band transceiver at their head in
and connecting it to an 800 MHz talk group; furthering SRRCS’s interoperability with the CHP.

63920 CHPLNK is the talk group for this, only heard traffic on it a few times.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Traffic on new CHP White Sacramento channel

I just picked up some chatter which sounded like radio testing on the new WHITE BASE CHP channel - 44.920 MHz CT:173.8 :)

kma371

QRT
Yeah Wayne and I are hearing the traffic as well. Wayne more than me, I don't have outside antenna at the moment.

WayneH

Forums Veteran
Super Moderator
At the moment, no. Maybe when they finish all the sites it will be. This evening they were working on Mt Zion getting Blue 2 and White 2 working. I successfully heard both freqs with 173.8 and heard them mention 42.36 as the Mobile for Blue 2. I don't know about White 2 as what that spreadsheet lists is the Base for Modesto/Sonora.

scannerboy02

Premium Subscriber
I noticed today that Gold Valley and Black Valley were patched? together for a few hours starting around 2pm, I was getting the same traffic from dispatch on both channels. The mobiles were still talking on the correct 42.20 gold/42.70 black though. How they were not talking over each other, I have no idea.

avtarsingh

Premium Subscriber
depends on how the bridge clips are placed if it was done at the mtn top ... the m/w ctr etc

the white2 and the blu1 and blu2 for mt zion are all but done

a few more sites getting worked on - mt oso should be done tomorrow if everything goes ok

how consoles are patched - programmed etc

WHT2 VAL 44.92 42.32 173.8

BLU2 VAL 44.84 42.36 173.8

jlanfn

California Database Admin
Ultimately, what method are they planning to use across the state to auto repeat mobiles on the base? Are they sticking with the audio switch method they already use in many areas, are they going to conventional repeaters, or something else? Their new licenses do not include the typical FB and FB2 needed for repeaters.

WayneH

Forums Veteran
Super Moderator
It's probably revolving around what's already available or how it's done in the area. Based on what I've heard around here it's all still separate receive and transmit stations that relay over the M/W to Sac.

Last edited:

Caboosey

Just in the past 9 months, CHP has been taking up 800MHz in the San Luis Obispo County and Santa Barbara County looking at the FCC licenses.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.