CHP on 154.570?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zz0468

QRT
Banned
Why am I hearing CHP on 154.570 with a PL of 67.0? Sounds like there mobile extender, but I thought that is on 154.905??

Hard to say why you're hearing that. 154.57 is in the Industrial/Business pool, and a license search shows nothing to the State of California on that frequency. I've not heard of any CHP extender use of anything other than 154.905.

SCPD

QRT
Why am I hearing CHP on 154.570 with a PL of 67.0? Sounds like there mobile extender, but I thought that is on 154.905??

154.570 is a MURS frequency. Most likely someone is running a feed of CHP so they can hear it elsewhere.

zz0468

QRT
Banned
154.570 is a MURS frequency. Most likely someone is running a feed of CHP so they can hear it elsewhere.

Good point. I didn't even think of the MURS aspect of it. All the Business and Industrial users with valid licenses are grandfathered.

conve36

I can hear it when I am mobile (but not all the time)... sometimes miles away from my home and I live in hilly terrain, it sounds exactly as if it were an extender DUE to the fact that the signal varies. Are the extenders radio traffic delayed at all? Because I figured out that it is only the radio traffic from Temecula/Oceanside 39.80mhz. Becasue if I have my scanner tuned to 39.80mhz and my HT (hooked to an external antenna) tuned to 154.570 the radio traffic is real-time, no delay what-so-ever.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Are the extenders radio traffic delayed at all?
No. So if the traffic you are hearing on the GURS frequency is delayed, it sounds to me like someone is picking it up off of an Internet feed, not a radio/scanner.

MrAntsy

I can hear it when I am mobile (but not all the time)... sometimes miles away from my home and I live in hilly terrain, it sounds exactly as if it were an extender DUE to the fact that the signal varies. Are the extenders radio traffic delayed at all? Because I figured out that it is only the radio traffic from Temecula/Oceanside 39.80mhz. Becasue if I have my scanner tuned to 39.80mhz and my HT (hooked to an external antenna) tuned to 154.570 the radio traffic is real-time, no delay what-so-ever.

Is it stronger when you are in range of Santiago Peak? Can you also hear with a PL of 162.2?

It could be intermod between the 39.80 Tan-1 xmtr and something else (with a PL of 67.0) at Santiago.

Last edited:

inigo88

California DB Admin
Database Admin
For what it's worth I was hearing an IG UHF repeater for a local Kaiser Hospital's security channel being relayed or simulcast on this exact same MURS frequency 154.57. It did not appear to be intermod because there were beeps on the MURS frequency when the repeater would key and unkey that did not exist on the repeater itself. This was verified with two scanners side-by-side. The MURS traffic appeared to be originating from a popular repeater site on a local mountaintop and seemed to be using way more than the legal 2 watt MURS limit.

This had always been a mystery to me until it was suggested earlier in this thread that it could have been a "feed." Is it normal to use MURS for this purpose? Didn't mean to hi-jack but just thought it was a strange and noteworthy coincidence that the same frequency had been used up here for similar purposes.

KF4ZTO

The legality is questionable, as FCC rules say you can't run a repeater or "store and forward" operation on MURS frequencies. However, MURS is a license free service and in real life that means that as long as this use of those frequencies isn't bothering/interfering with anybody else's communications, its fine.

I personally think its a cool idea to have MURS set up to a scanner feed.

code3cowboy

Plumas County does not use 154.905, their units have the extender frequency of 155.445 in lieu of 154.905.

conve36

The legality is questionable, as FCC rules say you can't run a repeater or "store and forward" operation on MURS frequencies. However, MURS is a license free service and in real life that means that as long as this use of those frequencies isn't bothering/interfering with anybody else's communications, its fine.

I personally think its a cool idea to have MURS set up to a scanner feed.

wow thats a GREAT idea!

Status
Not open for further replies.