RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > U.S. Regional Radio Discussion Forums > California Radio Discussion Forum

California Radio Discussion Forum Forum for discussing Radio Information in the State of California.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-29-2009, 3:44 AM

Default CHP on 154.570?

Why am I hearing CHP on 154.570 with a PL of 67.0? Sounds like there mobile extender, but I thought that is on 154.905??
Sponsored links
Old 11-29-2009, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by conve36 View Post
Why am I hearing CHP on 154.570 with a PL of 67.0? Sounds like there mobile extender, but I thought that is on 154.905??
Hard to say why you're hearing that. 154.57 is in the Industrial/Business pool, and a license search shows nothing to the State of California on that frequency. I've not heard of any CHP extender use of anything other than 154.905.
Old 11-29-2009, 11:45 AM

Quote:
154.570 is a MURS frequency. Most likely someone is running a feed of CHP so they can hear it elsewhere.
bcprogtool.tcl for XT
Old 11-29-2009, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac7xc View Post
154.570 is a MURS frequency. Most likely someone is running a feed of CHP so they can hear it elsewhere.
Good point. I didn't even think of the MURS aspect of it. All the Business and Industrial users with valid licenses are grandfathered.
Old 11-29-2009, 1:15 PM

I can hear it when I am mobile (but not all the time)... sometimes miles away from my home and I live in hilly terrain, it sounds exactly as if it were an extender DUE to the fact that the signal varies. Are the extenders radio traffic delayed at all? Because I figured out that it is only the radio traffic from Temecula/Oceanside 39.80mhz. Becasue if I have my scanner tuned to 39.80mhz and my HT (hooked to an external antenna) tuned to 154.570 the radio traffic is real-time, no delay what-so-ever.
Sponsored links

Old 11-29-2009, 3:08 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Are the extenders radio traffic delayed at all?
No. So if the traffic you are hearing on the GURS frequency is delayed, it sounds to me like someone is picking it up off of an Internet feed, not a radio/scanner.
Old 11-29-2009, 4:10 PM

Quote:
I can hear it when I am mobile (but not all the time)... sometimes miles away from my home and I live in hilly terrain, it sounds exactly as if it were an extender DUE to the fact that the signal varies. Are the extenders radio traffic delayed at all? Because I figured out that it is only the radio traffic from Temecula/Oceanside 39.80mhz. Becasue if I have my scanner tuned to 39.80mhz and my HT (hooked to an external antenna) tuned to 154.570 the radio traffic is real-time, no delay what-so-ever.
Is it stronger when you are in range of Santiago Peak? Can you also hear with a PL of 162.2?

It could be intermod between the 39.80 Tan-1 xmtr and something else (with a PL of 67.0) at Santiago.

Last edited by MrAntsy; 11-29-2009 at 4:12 PM.. Reason: added PL question
Old 11-29-2009, 5:19 PM
California DB Admin
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin

For what it's worth I was hearing an IG UHF repeater for a local Kaiser Hospital's security channel being relayed or simulcast on this exact same MURS frequency 154.57. It did not appear to be intermod because there were beeps on the MURS frequency when the repeater would key and unkey that did not exist on the repeater itself. This was verified with two scanners side-by-side. The MURS traffic appeared to be originating from a popular repeater site on a local mountaintop and seemed to be using way more than the legal 2 watt MURS limit.

This had always been a mystery to me until it was suggested earlier in this thread that it could have been a "feed." Is it normal to use MURS for this purpose? Didn't mean to hi-jack but just thought it was a strange and noteworthy coincidence that the same frequency had been used up here for similar purposes.
Old 11-29-2009, 5:29 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Smile

The legality is questionable, as FCC rules say you can't run a repeater or "store and forward" operation on MURS frequencies. However, MURS is a license free service and in real life that means that as long as this use of those frequencies isn't bothering/interfering with anybody else's communications, its fine.

I personally think its a cool idea to have MURS set up to a scanner feed.

-List all my radios here, etc.
Sponsored links
Old 11-29-2009, 5:40 PM
California DB Admin
Database Admin

Interesting. Thanks.
Old 11-29-2009, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmclam View Post
No. So if the traffic you are hearing on the GURS frequency is delayed, it sounds to me like someone is picking it up off of an Internet feed, not a radio/scanner.
No, the radio traffic I am hearing is NOT delayed. It is real-time. I confirmed this using my scanner.
Old 12-06-2009, 11:09 PM

Plumas County does not use 154.905, their units have the extender frequency of 155.445 in lieu of 154.905.
Old 12-09-2009, 2:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KF4ZTO View Post
The legality is questionable, as FCC rules say you can't run a repeater or "store and forward" operation on MURS frequencies. However, MURS is a license free service and in real life that means that as long as this use of those frequencies isn't bothering/interfering with anybody else's communications, its fine.

I personally think its a cool idea to have MURS set up to a scanner feed.
wow thats a GREAT idea!
Old 12-10-2009, 2:19 PM
Database Admin
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac7xc View Post

Tow truck company poaching ??
Old 01-04-2010, 5:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trooperdude View Post
Tow truck company poaching ??
Hmm... that's true... But if they would go that far to set-up something elaborate as that, you'd they would just monitor CHP direct... And I know they are legally not suppose to monitor CHP cause it breaches the contract they have together...
Sponsored links