Chp dispatch centers

Status
Not open for further replies.

E5911

Premium Subscriber
Does any one have a list of Dispatch center locations? I am going to assume they are at the Division level, I just wanted to confirm it.

Fielder3

Premium Subscriber
CHP Dispatch Centers

Wow, that is a lot of dispatch centers! They could save some money by doing what Oregon State Police has done and merge some centers. Not the the extreme (2 centers for the whole state) but try a regional approach in selected areas.

kma371

QRT
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3GS: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

E5911 said:
Does any one have a list of Dispatch center locations? I am going to assume they are at the Division level, I just wanted to confirm it.

The database is set up by dispatch center.

Sac916

Wow, that is a lot of dispatch centers! They could save some money by doing what Oregon State Police has done and merge some centers. Not the the extreme (2 centers for the whole state) but try a regional approach in selected areas.

California is much larger than Oregon with a much larger force - Plus one building for a force that large is not smart especially if something goes wrong at the building - Where will they go? You would need a large enough infrastructure and building to support a dispatch center that large.

BlueZebra

Notice the Bay Area has already consolidated- one dispatch center for the entire division. I think the reviews are generally it wasn't a big success. Extreme workload for cell phone calls, long wait times, same street names in up to 8-10 areas, etc. I am in favor of some consolidation, but when you merge 10-11 counties, you are probably over doing it.

Radio_Lady

Based on just raw population and organizational sizes (and not on specific duties, crime rates, calls for service, etc), CHP and OSP are pretty close to equivalent in their relative numbers of dispatch centers:

California's population is about 10 times that of Oregon: 37 million in CA vs 3.8 million in OR
Sworn officers, again close to 10x: CHP 7500, OSP 760

OSP dispatch centers: 2
CHP dispatch centers: 24

Just for something to do, I also compared the City of Los Angeles:
Population: 3.8 million (roughly the same as OR)
Dispatch Centers: 2 (same as OSP)
Sworn officers: 9300 (1.25x that of CHP, 12x that of OSP) - the difference of course being that LAPD is, for all intents and purposes, the only LEA for the city, with the exception of a couple small, specialized LEAs, and CHP handling freeways within the city limits

Last edited:

LowBat

Premium Subscriber
I agree it's best not to merge too much, especially when it comes to the CHP. One of my calls to them (1-800-TELLCHP) was misrouted by the call taker to the wrong division dispatcher. They also ask you what county you're calling from. I so wish they'd come up with a better way to report problems and emergencies.

SCPD

QRT
One of my calls to them (1-800-TELLCHP) was misrouted by the call taker to the wrong division dispatcher. They also ask you what county you're calling from. I so wish they'd come up with a better way to report problems and emergencies.

That's why in my case I have Santa Rosa and Marin Center direct line programmed in my Cell phone, so I can call the nearest center directly.

Last edited by a moderator:

PaulNDaOC

That's why in my case I have Santa Rosa and Marin Center direct line programmed in my Cell phone, so I can call the nearest center directly.

If all else fails Zenith 12000 with the operator still works.

Status
Not open for further replies.