scanner laws here in california

Status
Not open for further replies.

robert_stroy

what are the laws for scanners here in sacramento do i have to have it regestered i know the law for not having it in a motor vehicle but is there anything i should know that is redicules in this lovely state

SAR923

There are no laws in California that either require you to register a scanner or prevent you from having a scanner in your vehicle. The only law that affects scanners are that you can't repeat what you hear on scanner to another person and that your can't use a scanner during the comission of a crime.

RolnCode3

I don't know of any other laws than the one about not using a scanner to further criminal activity. As far as having it mounted in a vehicle, there's nothing I've ever heard about that. Basically, I don't think it's illegal.

zgafford

It IS illegal in California to have a scanner in your vehicle AND be using it. The loop hole is that cops don't know EVERY law on the books so unless you get stopped by someone who has dealt with that particular law then they won't know about it.

JoeyC

zgafford said:
It IS illegal in California to have a scanner in your vehicle AND be using it. The loop hole is that cops don't know EVERY law on the books so unless you get stopped by someone who has dealt with that particular law then they won't know about it.

Never heard of that. What is the CA Penal code for that?

ECPD279

Premium Subscriber
zgafford said:
It IS illegal in California to have a scanner in your vehicle AND be using it.....

It is only illegal in LA County. This is a local ordinance, not a state law. There is no vehicle code section pertaining to use of scanners in vehicles. The only thing illegal about scanners statewide is use in commission of a crime. I have two scanners in my truck with no ill effect, and I have never heard of anyone being hassled about it.

JoeyC

pitcockm said:
http://www.monitoringtimes.com/html/mtlaws_oct03.html

If you READ the penal code section (and even the MT article) you will see that it has NOTHING to do with mobile use of a scanner.

Mobile use of a scanner is illegal in LA city (I heard it was a local city ordinance, not even countywide) and perfectly LEGAL in all other parts of the state as long as the user abides by CA PC 636.5.

RolnCode3

Even if you got caught in LA (and the officer knew of and could find the section number), it's still only an infraction. Unhook the scanner, toss it in your trunk, and go to traffic court on the right date. THEN, either 1) Be a good boy, leave it at home or 2) Keep going to traffic court if you keep getting caught. Besides, the antennas are more likely to give you away.

I'm a peace officer in a different part of the state, and don't condone illegal activity, but that's how I see it. Hell, if you have enough people you could always petition the City Council to remove the section.

West of the Muddy Creek, East of the Big Hill.
Scanner Laws

The scanner laws in most states, cities and counties are full of loopholes. The loopholes are usually filled when the law enforcement agency which stops a person with a scanner, decides it was used during the commission of a crime.

Now when I travel my scanner is off and packed away!

SAR923

I had mobile scanners in LA for 10 years in the late 60's and early 70's and was never bothered by any law enforcement personnel. If you're sitting around a business district at 0200 then you may get more attention if you have a scanner going but very few cops are out looking to bust people with scanners. I don't know if the LA City ordinance has ever been tested in court but I doubt it would survive.

Amazingly, in the land of a law for everything, there's nothing else that stops you having a scanner in your vehicle, home or business anywhere outside LA City.

robert_stroy

SAR2401 said:
I had mobile scanners in LA for 10 years in the late 60's and early 70's and was never bothered by any law enforcement personnel. just think that was 30 or 40 years ago and im very sure they have changed scanner laws by now. now police are like that these day the pick on you for just looking at them wrong ........ 8)

RolnCode3

umm, some of us ARE officers, and that isn't really an accurate representation of the job. Granted, it can happen, but people who give us "the eye" usually have a reason. Not that I'm here to discuss law enforcement and it's public image.

robert_stroy

Rolncode3, Your a police officer, you should know if its against the law here in sacramento or even LA. I have searchd the net since I have had my scanner and I have seen that its completly illegal for having a scanner here in california. I have read you cant have it in your car. I have heard you can have it in your car. So many people want to believe that they can do anything they want with thier scanner that they post it all over the net if someone has it in a document about all of these laws.(please post )

JoeyC

robert_stroy said:
Rolncode3, Your a police officer, you should know if its against the law here in sacramento or even LA. I have searchd the net since I have had my scanner and I have seen that its completly illegal for having a scanner here in california. I have read you cant have it in your car. I have heard you can have it in your car. So many people want to believe that they can do anything they want with thier scanner that they post it all over the net if someone has it in a document about all of these laws.(please post )

I believe Rolncode has answered the question, as have several others.

You can look up all the legal mumbo-jumbo you want for CA at:

http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/calaw.html

jbstahr

I grew up in Southern California in Ventura County, just north of LA. I have had scanners since I was in High School. Many people I knew had scanners in their vehicles. The police knew we had scanners and other types of radios and pretty much left us alone. I think the bottom line is that in most metro cities the police have much better things to do than bust scanner listeners. They are mainly concerned with people using scanners during the commission of other crimes or interfering with a crime scene or other event. I can remember one time when officers were comparing the quality of what we had to the equiptment in their cruisers. Things may have changed since I moved from CA, but back then I never had any real problems with the police.

ECPD279

Premium Subscriber
robert_stroy said:

robert_stroy, you seem to be the only dissenting opinion in this thread. Your query has been answered several times in this thread alone that it IS LEGAL TO USE A SCANNER IN YOUR VEHICLE in the State of California, except in L.A. You will not find an official state document authorizing the use of scanners in a vehicle because there is none. None is needed. If the law does not specifically prohibit something, it is legal. The laws of the State of California are not written to specifically PERMIT acts, they are written to specifically PROHIBIT acts. Therefore, if the law doesn't say you CAN'T do something, it is assumed that you CAN! I certainly hope this makes it PAINFULLY clear to you that what we have told you is the truth and has absolutely nothing to do with how you look at us.

danpirate

I pratice law

I practice law, and in general minus La county unless your commiting a crime and using a scanner, or under a new set of laws just passed, are caught being distracted while driving and playing with your scanner (actually anything which distracts you not just a scanner but i see it happening). It is legal to posses in you vehicle.

robert_stroy

Ok thanks to all of you..... i was just tring to make sure and to get anyone who might know if it is illegal to do so. it all makes since that you can have a scanner in your car as long as you dont fumble around with it. and once again thank you for your help..... :D 8) :lol:

als365

I don't know about the laws in california, but when i used to live in florida the law was:

it is legal to own a scanner

it is legal to listen to a scanner in your home

it is legal to have a scanner in your car (turned off)

it is legal to listen to a scanner in your car (turned on) if and only if you meet one of two criteria.
1 - you are a HAM radio operator
2 - you are a public safety worker (police, firefighter, EMT, red cross)

now that i have moved to nevada i don't give a darn because i'm a FF/EMT.

hope this helps. :) :)

Status
Not open for further replies.