Wide awake Cal fire dispatch

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just heard Monterey ECC said they are now are wide awake dispatch i'm guessing 24/monitoring radios and having the dispatcher not sleep to wake up to make a dispatch?

jeremyphoto23

Correct. There are still some ECCs in the State that their CommOps are not awake 24 hrs. I'm pretty sure Fortuna ECC is this way as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

inigo88

California DB Admin
Database Admin
Marin County Fire ECC dispatchers (not CAL FIRE but a similarly structured department) usually has one dispatcher on working 24 hour shifts. Every once in a while on a late night response you'll hear the engine company say "You can go back to sleep, we'll find our way home." :)

Correct. There are still some ECCs in the State that their CommOps are not awake 24 hrs. I'm pretty sure Fortuna ECC is this way as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Now I wonder what they are going to do just for the fireseason. Yesterday was a bad day for CAL fire BEU they got voted out to run San Benito county fire after 30 something years.

Marin County Fire ECC dispatchers (not CAL FIRE but a similarly structured department) usually has one dispatcher on working 24 hour shifts. Every once in a while on a late night response you'll hear the engine company say "You can go back to sleep, we'll find our way home." :)

Yeah some times I would here the dispatcher say go back in quarters on the clock.

SCPD

QRT
BEU ECC

The Com Ops work 2 12 hr shifts. In the past, BEU Did not have Com Ops and ran a Fire Captain in the ECC working a 72 hr shift. No ECC's have Com Ops that work 24's, All are on 10's or 12's. Only The Captains work 24's.

inigo88

California DB Admin
Database Admin
The Com Ops work 2 12 hr shifts. In the past, BEU Did not have Com Ops and ran a Fire Captain in the ECC working a 72 hr shift. No ECC's have Com Ops that work 24's, All are on 10's or 12's. Only The Captains work 24's.

Thanks Conner. Since Marin is one of the contract counties apparently they have the latitude to do things a little differently.

BlueZebra

Calfire doesn't say a lot about how Contract Counties staff. For example, CalFire never pays Contract Counties enough for 3 shift, 56 hour staffing of anything. Usually CalFire pays for the CalFire equivalent number of positions to staff 24/7 during fire season. So, that is closer to 2 people for 24/7 (probably something like 2.3 people) staffing, not 3 plus a little that a standard fire agency (which the Contract Counties better represent) require to maintain 24/7 3 shift staffing, with vacation and sick day coverage personnel.

PaulNDaOC

SCU (Morgan Hill) recently went 24/7 awake with the commencement of the Morgan Hill city contract.

I beleive the proposal had them hiring three additional Communications Operaotors.

SCU (Morgan Hill) recently went 24/7 awake with the commencement of the Morgan Hill city contract.

I beleive the proposal had them hiring three additional Communications Operaotors.

I don't think it will last long now that they lost the contract with San Benito county $1.2 million lost ouch. But then again that's alot of money just to staff 2 fire fighters for 72 hour shifts.

Didn't Morgan Hill stay with the county dispatch?

Last edited:

BlueZebra

I don't think it will last long now that they lost the contract with San Benito county $1.2 million lost ouch. But then again that's alot of money just to staff 2 fire fighters for 72 hour shifts.

Didn't Morgan Hill stay with the county dispatch?

Morgan Hill doesn't dispatch for San Benito. Monterey did.

Status
Not open for further replies.