CDCR Cell Phone Blocking Antennas

Status
Not open for further replies.

emt_531

So, I have read several articles in the past regarding CDCR installing cell blocking capabilities at each of their prisons. I do realize that they are not the ones paying for this. I noticed these antennas being mounted at a local prison. The look directional and are pretty big, maybe 8 foot tall. How does this not interfere with the area just outside the prisons?

GrumpyGuard

Well, first off you are correct, CDCR is not footing the bill for these systems. The antenna's need to be directional so they don't bleed over to the area's adjacent to the facilities. As each is erected they must be tested to ensure only the prison is being blocked.

mkewman

I think CDCR should upgrade their radio systems before having these cellular blocking systems installed. IMO it's an officer safety issue to have a radio system that uses outdated equipment from the 80s being the only link to help.

russianspd

Premium Subscriber
What is the safeguard for if the radios and landlines fail? They can't use cellphones to call for aid.

SCPD

QRT
Why do inmates (prisoners) have cell ,phones? and other items, I will stop there as this is not the forum.

kma371

QRT
I think CDCR should upgrade their radio systems before having these cellular blocking systems installed. IMO it's an officer safety issue to have a radio system that uses outdated equipment from the 80s being the only link to help.

These are private company's installing these systems not CDCR and not funded by them either.

I believe the intent is companies are installing these systems for nothing to show they work, then contract through the state to implement state wide for pay

JoeyC

What is the safeguard for if the radios and landlines fail? They can't use cellphones to call for aid.

In the event of that happening without any other means of communication the blocking system would simply be disabled during the temporary emergency. Not an issue. Prisoners shouldn't have access to cellphones. I see this as a good move.

phillydjdan

The problem isn't that they need cell phone jammers. If the guards did their jobs properly and thoroughly, they wouldn't have that problem to begin with.

phillydjdan

My guess is you've never worked in corrections...

Dont need to. There are plenty of tools and tactics available to prevent contraband from entering a prison. If it get's in, someone didn't do something right.

kma371

QRT
Dont need to. There are plenty of tools and tactics available to prevent contraband from entering a prison. If it get's in, someone didn't do something right.

Actually you do need to, like me and plenty others on here who have, to truly understand how it works.

Heres a fact you dont know. Attorneys cannot be searched when they come into see their clients (thank your government for that). So there is nothing stoppimg some scumbag attorney giving their client a cell phone in a private room, who then conceals that phone in their rectum.

OR, nothing will stop some prison guard who's getting paid $500 from an inmate to smuggle him/her a cell phone. Happens a lot. How do you think Charles Manson got two cell phones in one of the most secure prisons in California?

So its possible to do and it does happen. Tools or tactics can't prevent that. The only tool that will is cell phone jammers which makes the phone useless.

WayneH

Forums Veteran
Super Moderator
I'm going to stop you right here. I think it's best you move on to another thread.

aquaregia

Premium Subscriber
I'm not going to waste anyones time with whether or not Corrections needs this technology. What I am going to point out is that California is flouting Federal law by employing these jammers. And before I get another "it's for the children/public safety/peace in our time" hogwash, it is against Federal law to employ ANY sort of jamming, except, and I'm quoting from the FCC whitepaper, "There is a very narrow exception. In limited circumstances, the sale of signal jammers for use by authorized federal agencies may be permitted. See 47 U.S.C. § 302a(c); 47 C.F.R. § 2.807(d)."

California/WTFever Corrections is not Federal, therefore, illegal in this context.

EDIT: After a bit more poking around, it seems Global Tel is operating some sort of rogue BTS, and not just blindly jamming, so my bad. However, this introduces a host of licensing/operational issues. I don't GSM/LTE much, so I could care less, but this strikes me as a bad idea all around.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.