RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > U.S. Regional Radio Discussion Forums > California Radio Discussion Forum

California Radio Discussion Forum - Forum for discussing Radio Information in the State of California.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-03-2013, 1:34 PM

Interesting how car manufacturers have to issue these mass recalls. Does it usually have to do with a bad batch of material that they bought and used in bulk to build the cars with?
Sponsored links
Old 09-03-2013, 8:49 PM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by russianspd View Post
Interesting how car manufacturers have to issue these mass recalls. Does it usually have to do with a bad batch of material that they bought and used in bulk to build the cars with?
CorrOsion is usually caused by lack of protection .....paint...powder coating or anything to prevent air from attacking metal that oxidizes. Most metals oxidize other than gold. Even stainless turns black with time.
Old 09-04-2013, 1:43 AM

Thanks for the info Scotty.
Old 09-05-2013, 1:33 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by russianspd View Post
What constitutes the end of life for an CVPI? Seems they run forever and have long lives.
Usually a set mileage like 100,000.

I know a lot of PDs have upped their retirement mileage because of budget concerns. The CHP has a lucrative secondary market for used patrol cars, so they don't want to run them completely into the ground.
Old 09-05-2013, 3:08 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Code20Photog View Post
Usually a set mileage like 100,000.

I know a lot of PDs have upped their retirement mileage because of budget concerns. The CHP has a lucrative secondary market for used patrol cars, so they don't want to run them completely into the ground.
No kidding, I've been to the auction in Davis. Those patrol cars, even non-ops were hot ticket items.

I bet there's also a spending cap on each vehicle... that way, if one is a problem child they quit throwing good money after bad if the drive-train has significant issues for a second time under that mileage cap.

CHP bought a metric butt-ton of CVPIs when Ford made the announcement that they were discontinuing the model. There will be plenty on the road for the next few years, and some of them still need the 700mhz equipment. They want to get those ones compliant and fast.
Sponsored links
Old 09-06-2013, 4:32 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkewman View Post
No kidding, I've been to the auction in Davis. Those patrol cars, even non-ops were hot ticket items.
Right next to the South Los Angeles office here in Los Angeles, is the CHP used car sales. Stuff never stays there very long.

Quote:
I bet there's also a spending cap on each vehicle... that way, if one is a problem child they quit throwing good money after bad if the drive-train has significant issues for a second time under that mileage cap.
Yes, what we were told, the cars are under a warranty for 100k miles, and after that, the maintenance costs are the responsibility of the CHP. Then it's a cost-effectiveness issue as to what cars are fixed and what ones aren't.

Quote:
CHP bought a metric butt-ton of CVPIs when Ford made the announcement that they were discontinuing the model.
You should see LAPD and especially LA County Sheriff. You have NO IDEA how many CVs the sheriff bought. They're crammed in every nook and cranny of the fleet services area in East LA.

Plug this into google maps and scroll around

34.055347, -118.167709

If you zoom out a bit, there's even more than when the took the closer photos.
Old 09-06-2013, 11:54 AM

Neat info Code, thanks.
Old 09-06-2013, 12:59 PM

I saw the CHP Explorers on I-80 last weekend in Solano County while driving between Sacramento and Fairfield.
Old 09-06-2013, 5:07 PM

Quote:
You should see LAPD and especially LA County Sheriff. You have NO IDEA how many CVs the sheriff bought. They're crammed in every nook and cranny of the fleet services area in East LA.
Not that I'm one for conspiracies, but... seems like discontinuing it didn't turn out to be a bad sales strategy. Maybe they took a page from the aircraft makers... 'Oh sorry, we won't be making anymore C-17s ever again, so maybe you should buy more right now'.

But I'm sure Ford would never bring the model back in 5 years... They never do stuff like that.
Old 09-06-2013, 6:11 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPD1 View Post

But I'm sure Ford would never bring the model back in 5 years... They never do stuff like that.
They might bring the name back. Whether they would bring back a car that large after discontinuing it, when they are trying to meet tougher fuel economy standards, I'm not sure.
Old 09-08-2013, 7:51 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I really think that they're trying to streamline the production lines. The Crown Victoria really wasn't a huge seller on the consumer market, while the Taurus in the past has been one of the most popular cars in the US, and the Explorer *invented* the SUV class. By building the new police platforms on a popular chassis it's more cost effective. The PIUVs are built on the same assembly line as the regular Explorer, they just get a few tweaks and add ons
Old 09-08-2013, 8:21 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Thumbs up

The Explorer probably makes a better police vehicle than the first and early SUV's.

These were more "utility" than "sport" but were marketed for hunters, fisherman, etc., too. The first ones appeared just after WWII, and they were built until the mid-1960's. The Cherokee, on the other hand, saw a lot more use in law enforcement:

(thanks to the folks at Allpar covers Dodge, Chrysler, Plymouth, Jeep, and related Fiat, Alfa, and Lancia cars, minivans, and trucks)

The new Explorer is definitely a sharp looking vehicle that appears to offer more function than previous Explorer/Expedition/Excursion (yes, I know of one area PD that had an Excursion) models. Thank goodness for R&D progress.
Old 09-09-2013, 3:34 AM

Quote:
I really think that they're trying to streamline the production lines. The Crown Victoria really wasn't a huge seller on the consumer market, while the Taurus in the past has been one of the most popular cars in the US, and the Explorer *invented* the SUV class. By building the new police platforms on a popular chassis it's more cost effective. The PIUVs are built on the same assembly line as the regular Explorer, they just get a few tweaks and add ons
As far as the earliest "SUV" remember something different. Toyota had 4 WD pickup and lots of people were putting shell campers on it and installing back seats. Not just a few people, but quite a few. Toyota then extended the pickup to include a backseat and trunk. It was really the same frame, drive train, engine, etc. They just modified the chassis. It was called the Toyota Four Runner, this being in the early 80's. The Ford Bronco came earlier and was a small and built like a box. When the Bronco was increased in size it started being called a SUV. The Jeep Cherokee wagon was larger than the CJ's and was also a SUV, but the acronym had not become popular then. I purchased a Toyota Land Cruiser FJ-40 in 1977 (still have it) and I would say it is an SUV also. When the FJ-60, 70, and 80's came out they were certainly SUV's and those predated the Ford Explorer.

As they increased in size and popularity we started seeing a large number of them in rural areas. Very few were used off pavement and the drivers would label driving there "off roading." As these increased in size and numbers we began calling them "UAV's," short for "Urban Assault Vehicles."

Most SUV's are too big to travel on rough roads. The long wheel base is really the limiting factor in their use when roads get primitive.

Anyhow, that is what I remember about SUV's.

It is interesting to hear how long vehicles are used before being replaced. When I worked for the Forest Service we had the lowest cost fleet of any federal agency. The Forest Service gathered a lot of data and came up with mileage and age criteria of when a vehicle should be replaced. The pickups I had were replaced at 7 years if they had enough mileage and if they didn't they weren't kept more than an additional 2 years. Fire apparatus and heavy equipment had different criteria. Because of the required maintenance the vehicles received, USFS vehicles were sold at relatively high prices when they were auctioned. The Inyo National Forest found that there was a cost savings when key personnel were assigned a vehicle rather than have them in a pool. When people are assigned their own vehicle they are maintained better as problems are reported sooner and more consistently, enough to make up for the additional vehicles the forest had to purchase.

Law enforcement vehicles in urban areas are driven rough on crowded streets with lots of acceleration and braking. City miles are much harder on vehicles. However, USFS vehicles are often loaded heavily and are used on very rough and primitive roads. I guess comparing CVPI's with USFS vehicles is an apples and oranges comparison, but it would seem that a similar analysis process would have advantages for police agencies.
Old 09-09-2013, 4:10 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

FWIW The explorers are being equipped with:

Uniden 996s (Unknown if T or XT models... but probably XT) that are controlled remotely via touchscreen interface NOT the GRE scanner as previously thought. I guess when GRE closed shop OES/CTA/CHP made the switch.
700/800 mobile
700 mhz Repeater system
Lowband Kenwoods
GPS
UHF and I'm pretty sure VHF... but my memory is fuzzy.

Interesting that the 700 mhz statewide system is still in the early planning stages, and yet CHP is thinking ahead and equipping EVERY vehicle that comes through the assembly line (both crown vics and explorers) with a 700/800 Mobile radio. Very smart move by... OES or CTA or CHP or whomever made that decision. OES is running the show now, so I bet it was CTA or CHP.

Basically every CHP vehicle, wherever it is, will be able to communicate with any agency it comes into contact with. It's almost as if it has it's own comm center trailer attached!
Old 09-09-2013, 10:02 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exsmokey View Post
As far as the earliest "SUV" remember something different. Toyota had 4 WD pickup and lots of people were putting shell campers on it and installing back seats. Not just a few people, but quite a few. Toyota then extended the pickup to include a backseat and trunk. It was really the same frame, drive train, engine, etc. They just modified the chassis. It was called the Toyota Four Runner, this being in the early 80's. The Ford Bronco came earlier and was a small and built like a box. When the Bronco was increased in size it started being called a SUV. The Jeep Cherokee wagon was larger than the CJ's and was also a SUV, but the acronym had not become popular then. I purchased a Toyota Land Cruiser FJ-40 in 1977 (still have it) and I would say it is an SUV also. When the FJ-60, 70, and 80's came out they were certainly SUV's and those predated the Ford Explorer.

As they increased in size and popularity we started seeing a large number of them in rural areas. Very few were used off pavement and the drivers would label driving there "off roading." As these increased in size and numbers we began calling them "UAV's," short for "Urban Assault Vehicles."

Most SUV's are too big to travel on rough roads. The long wheel base is really the limiting factor in their use when roads get primitive.

Anyhow, that is what I remember about SUV's.

It is interesting to hear how long vehicles are used before being replaced. When I worked for the Forest Service we had the lowest cost fleet of any federal agency. The Forest Service gathered a lot of data and came up with mileage and age criteria of when a vehicle should be replaced. The pickups I had were replaced at 7 years if they had enough mileage and if they didn't they weren't kept more than an additional 2 years. Fire apparatus and heavy equipment had different criteria. Because of the required maintenance the vehicles received, USFS vehicles were sold at relatively high prices when they were auctioned. The Inyo National Forest found that there was a cost savings when key personnel were assigned a vehicle rather than have them in a pool. When people are assigned their own vehicle they are maintained better as problems are reported sooner and more consistently, enough to make up for the additional vehicles the forest had to purchase.

Law enforcement vehicles in urban areas are driven rough on crowded streets with lots of acceleration and braking. City miles are much harder on vehicles. However, USFS vehicles are often loaded heavily and are used on very rough and primitive roads. I guess comparing CVPI's with USFS vehicles is an apples and oranges comparison, but it would seem that a similar analysis process would have advantages for police agencies.
Hi Fred....Fj 40 are awesome.... I own a tundra.... I love when people call FJ's jeeps...the owners squeal.
Old 09-09-2013, 10:31 PM

Quote:
FWIW The explorers are being equipped with:

Uniden 996s (Unknown if T or XT models... but probably XT) that are controlled remotely via touchscreen interface NOT the GRE scanner as previously thought.
I wonder how much they actually use those. I know some of the PD air guys carry scanners and use them quite a bit. Maybe if more PDs go with NXDN, that will be more motivation to include it eventually.
Old 09-09-2013, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPD1 View Post
I wonder how much they actually use those. I know some of the PD air guys carry scanners and use them quite a bit. Maybe if more PDs go with NXDN, that will be more motivation to include it eventually.
Please be more clear ? Use those ???? You mean the MDT screen scanner interface ?
Old 09-09-2013, 10:47 PM

Talking

Quote:
My understanding from a friend at the radio shop, All the CHP explorers are 700 mhz VRS equpped. And have radios programmed with 1 encrypted 700mhz mode.
Can your buddy give us any insight how radio shop is programming the scanners. Also are they using Rs-232 communication from the data screen to the scanner ? For control right? The data is converted to screen images like the remote head set up right ? They are trying to save space and make a nice GUI ... In essance so all mobiles can mount in the rear of the vehicle. I need a close up of the screen. Maybe code 20 can get us a better console data screen shot.
Old 09-11-2013, 2:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyhetzel View Post
Hi Fred....Fj 40 are awesome.... I own a tundra.... I love when people call FJ's jeeps...the owners squeal.
How many jeeps from 1977 do you see on the road? People can call my FJ-40 a jeep all they want, but not in earshot of it!
Old 09-11-2013, 2:37 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyhetzel View Post
Can your buddy give us any insight how radio shop is programming the scanners. Also are they using Rs-232 communication from the data screen to the scanner ? For control right? The data is converted to screen images like the remote head set up right ? They are trying to save space and make a nice GUI ... In essance so all mobiles can mount in the rear of the vehicle. I need a close up of the screen. Maybe code 20 can get us a better console data screen shot.
Unsure of whether or not the channel display data is being used on the screen, but I'll ask. I would assume so. That system is pretty nifty.

No idea how they're programming them, but I'd assume it'd just be surrounding agencies.