RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > U.S. Regional Radio Discussion Forums > California Radio Discussion Forum

California Radio Discussion Forum Forum for discussing Radio Information in the State of California.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-11-2013, 7:18 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exsmokey View Post
How many jeeps from 1977 do you see on the road? People can call my FJ-40 a jeep all they want, but not in earshot of it!
Lol....not that many.
Old 09-13-2013, 11:24 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Default CHP added info

A couple of things to get correct.

CHP only gets it budget from vehicle registration fees, the $60-100 listed at the top of your renewal form and some government grant money. No gasoline or road tax money.

Most CHP area have switched to 700 in the individual officer's extenders.

CHP warranty is the same as a private person would get. On the CVPIs is was 3 yrs, 50,000 miles. CHP, as part of the bid process required a 3 year 100,000mile warranty on the engine, transmission, rear-end and I believe the drive line. After 100,000 miles, CHP foots the bill on those repair. In the office I retired from, we would hit 100,000 miles right around the 36 month limit. We had a 1996 CV that got the engine replaced at (approximately) 91,000, then transmission at about 95k, and then the rear end and driveline at 97k. Then we turned the car in at just over 100k. Ford asked no questions.

East Sacramento Area was created a couple of years ago. Its listed in the database as Rancho Cordova. They got a number of high mileage CVPIs from offices who lost territory and staff to the new office. So in the last few months, all their CVPIs have been replaced with Ford Explorers. Unfortunately an officer rolled one about two weeks after they got it. The guys/gals have to learn how to adapt to all wheel drive.

Before I retired, CHP had staring going to a system where everything is controlled by a laptop, lights, siren, radio, scanner, and it doubles as your mobile data terminal for CAD. I understand the need to compact everything , the cars are getting smaller, etc. But at some point functionality has to be considered. Version 2 of laptop control let you control the scanner, volume, but not the channel selection, which ones to scan, could not make entries. Scanner was in the trunk, behind a protective grill. so you had to program every conceivable freq you might need, at the office, inside the trunk. And while you could control up to 3 two-2ay radios, they only gave you one mic. There were a few other quirks with the Version 2 of the system that I hope they have worked out.
Old 09-14-2013, 12:13 PM

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by chpray View Post
A couple of things to get correct.

CHP only gets it budget from vehicle registration fees, the $60-100 listed at the top of your renewal form and some government grant money. No gasoline or road tax money.

Most CHP area have switched to 700 in the individual officer's extenders.

CHP warranty is the same as a private person would get. On the CVPIs is was 3 yrs, 50,000 miles. CHP, as part of the bid process required a 3 year 100,000mile warranty on the engine, transmission, rear-end and I believe the drive line. After 100,000 miles, CHP foots the bill on those repair. In the office I retired from, we would hit 100,000 miles right around the 36 month limit. We had a 1996 CV that got the engine replaced at (approximately) 91,000, then transmission at about 95k, and then the rear end and driveline at 97k. Then we turned the car in at just over 100k. Ford asked no questions.

East Sacramento Area was created a couple of years ago. Its listed in the database as Rancho Cordova. They got a number of high mileage CVPIs from offices who lost territory and staff to the new office. So in the last few months, all their CVPIs have been replaced with Ford Explorers. Unfortunately an officer rolled one about two weeks after they got it. The guys/gals have to learn how to adapt to all wheel drive.

Before I retired, CHP had staring going to a system where everything is controlled by a laptop, lights, siren, radio, scanner, and it doubles as your mobile data terminal for CAD. I understand the need to compact everything , the cars are getting smaller, etc. But at some point functionality has to be considered. Version 2 of laptop control let you control the scanner, volume, but not the channel selection, which ones to scan, could not make entries. Scanner was in the trunk, behind a protective grill. so you had to program every conceivable freq you might need, at the office, inside the trunk. And while you could control up to 3 two-2ay radios, they only gave you one mic. There were a few other quirks with the Version 2 of the system that I hope they have worked out.
Does CHP get a portion of the issued ticket if the party is guilty ?

Warranty you say...does CHP garages get re-enbursed or does te explorers need to be repaired by Ford delearships ?

Are you saying each office uniden scanners get a different channel line up per their close allied agencies ?

Thank you in advance !
Old 09-30-2013, 10:06 PM
Completely Banned for the Greater Good
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by russianspd View Post
I always look for the cage meshing while looking straight through their car from my rear view mirror. Also if they have a laptop sticking up slightly above the dash.
CT State Police dont have a cage so that wont work either. The prisoner rides in the front passenger seat.
Old 10-27-2013, 12:28 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default Humboldt CHP Explorers and new Blue-2 Channel

Humboldt CHP appears to have at least a half dozen Interceptors, which is about as many cars as they run other than the Willow Creek units. Haven't seen a Crown Vic on the road in a couple weeks.

The VRS01 extender freq, 769/799.16875 is in constant use, and 154.905 has been silent for a while. Most of those P25 transmissions are coming through loud and lousy on my Pro-96.

One new twist has been very occasional multicasting by dispatch on the Northern Blue-2, 44.98, though just about every time I've heard it the dispatcher has alluded to skip or radio problems. Otherwise they're still on the old Green 42.54/42.24 pair.
Sponsored links
Old 11-06-2013, 3:54 PM

Great pic's of the new setup

2013 Ford Explorer SUV Enforcement Vehicle Photos
Old 11-06-2013, 4:05 PM

Awesome link...I am glad he updated his site....Nice Work !
Old 11-07-2013, 11:33 AM

Those are nice looking pictures. But I was shocked to see the couple of the "trunk" area with the radio/computer stacks. It appears to me that the majority of your "trunk space" is taken up by the comm equipment. I do not see enough room for all of the gear bags and such. Anyone else agree?
Old 11-07-2013, 2:35 PM

I think that is what the top tray is for, but I agree. And, how well can one see back using the inside rearview mirror?
Old 11-07-2013, 10:35 PM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by musician2111 View Post
Those are nice looking pictures. But I was shocked to see the couple of the "trunk" area with the radio/computer stacks. It appears to me that the majority of your "trunk space" is taken up by the comm equipment. I do not see enough room for all of the gear bags and such. Anyone else agree?
Active shooter bags and personal gear are in the front passenger seat.
Old 11-14-2013, 1:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScannerDude244 View Post
Are the small boxes in front of the keypad wireless mics in chargers? I can't quite make out the name.

I see they switched out the UHF Kenwood and 700/800 Motorola as seen in previous evolutions with EF Johnson mobiles. Still kept the VHF Midland, though. Hmm, interesting.

Can anyone tell if they have a vent on the battery? If so, I'd be interested to find how they ran it to the outside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by musician2111 View Post
I don't think it is as full as you think. If you look closely you can tell the drawers go in as far as the top one. In Rear Equipment picture #1 both lower drawers are pulled out, but you can see the top drawer is locked in. In picture #2 you can see they approximately line up with the end of the battery box when closed.

Looking at the third picture you can see the battery is quite a ways foreward and looks like a lot of room left for gear.
Old 11-15-2013, 10:43 AM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by box23 View Post
Are the small boxes in front of the keypad wireless mics in chargers? I can't quite make out the name.

I see they switched out the UHF Kenwood and 700/800 Motorola as seen in previous evolutions with EF Johnson mobiles. Still kept the VHF Midland, though. Hmm, interesting.

Can anyone tell if they have a vent on the battery? If so, I'd be interested to find how they ran it to the outside.

I don't think it is as full as you think. If you look closely you can tell the drawers go in as far as the top one. In Rear Equipment picture #1 both lower drawers are pulled out, but you can see the top drawer is locked in. In picture #2 you can see they approximately line up with the end of the battery box when closed.

Looking at the third picture you can see the battery is quite a ways foreward and looks like a lot of room left for gear.

AGM batteries and dry cells dont require venting.. : )
Old 11-15-2013, 1:03 PM

That would make sense. Never thought of a different battery chemistry.

Thanks
Old 11-16-2013, 12:45 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I've seen pictures of the trunk of CHP vehicles from several years ago. Traffic cones, crime scene tape, an EMT bag and some other bulky items were kept in the trunk. The pictures of the SUV trunk show no room for any of this. I can't imagine a CHP officer patrolling without an EMT bag.

Started out as a "donnowhatiwannabe," moved on to a "wannabe," became "abe" and now I'm a "wasabe."
Old 11-16-2013, 6:22 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmacinct View Post
Connecticut picked of a few and a few chargers.
CT uses them as an off duty vehicle - so there is no Identifications.
The Crown Vic's and some of the Older Expeditions have removable Whelen Light Bars.
It appears in the 'in term' they are pushing out a series of vehicles with no bars right now - Strictly undercover lighting.
Hardly "undercover" with the spotlight...
Old 11-16-2013, 6:32 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Code20Photog View Post
Explorer *invented* the SUV class.
I disagree about this statement...as I owned the original "Tahoe Cadillac": Jeep Wagoneer.

The original Cherokee was just a variation of the Wagoneer, before it got a smaller chassis of it's own...

I prefer the wheelbase of my Grand Cherokee limited because it's ride is a lot smoother than a CJ series & it's spawn...
Old 11-16-2013, 9:30 PM

Does anyone know if they program any local frequencies in those radios yet? Theirs been a few times when they were assisting SO and they were still going through CHP dispatch to relay.
Old 11-17-2013, 1:03 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScannerDude244 View Post
Does anyone know if they program any local frequencies in those radios yet? Theirs been a few times when they were assisting SO and they were still going through CHP dispatch to relay.
It depends on the area. Any vehicle that is equipped with the 700 mhz VRS is also equipped with a 700/800 mhz radio that is capable of operating on local Motorola or P25 Trunked systems.

Some areas do not have agreements with CHP. Some do. So there are a few factors. Certainly the Air units have the ability to talk local agencies systems... but not all vehicles.
Old 11-18-2013, 10:59 AM

In San Diego east (Gold-El Cajon), I hear CHP requesting that a SO unit go to their TAC channel regularly. But, they are both on the RCS. I don't think I have heard anything similar with San Diego (Orange). They can be patched thru RCS, with multiple agencies, but not going directly to another agencies channels.
Old 12-09-2013, 9:47 PM

Does anyone know what scanner the new vehicles are using ? I understand its RS232 controlled....