RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog
 

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > U.S. Regional Radio Discussion Forums > California Radio Discussion Forum


California Radio Discussion Forum - Forum for discussing Radio Information in the State of California.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 08-20-2013, 9:50 PM
DPD1's Avatar
Member
   
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,991
Default New CHP Explorer

Just happen to walk by one for the first time, while he was giving a guy a ticket. Unfortunately didn't get a pic. They look pretty cool. Didn't get a good look, but it had the regular low band, then they might have had a low profile can for the 700. Not sure. Then also the regular slanted FM in the back.
__________________
Dave
www.DPDProductions.com
Antennas & Accessories for the RF Professional & Radio Hobbyist
Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 08-20-2013, 11:32 PM
Member
   
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Palm Springs Area / OrCo
Posts: 1,329
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPD1 View Post
Just happen to walk by one for the first time, while he was giving a guy a ticket. Unfortunately didn't get a pic. They look pretty cool. Didn't get a good look, but it had the regular low band, then they might have had a low profile can for the 700. Not sure. Then also the regular slanted FM in the back.
Riverside Co. Sheriff K9 has one too. Saw it on the 10 west bound from Calimesa. I need to snap a pic too.
__________________
You be steppin....I be stomping.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 08-21-2013, 1:02 PM
LAflyer's Avatar
Global DB Admin
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: SoCal
Posts: 1,410
Default

We have a thread in the Los Angeles section (w/pic) as CHP Southern just got their first batch of vehicles.

http://forums.radioreference.com/gre...y-vehicle.html

=
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 08-21-2013, 7:39 PM
jmarshl's Avatar
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 92
Default

San Diego PD has a few on the street, this one is K-9.
Attached Images
 
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 08-21-2013, 11:56 PM
Member
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: San Diego County, California
Posts: 2,301
Arrow

Escondido, California

Light under the side mirrors
http://www.soundoffsignal.com/produc...r-mirror-light
Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 08-22-2013, 12:05 AM
dshafer1's Avatar
Member
   
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 91
Default

The next-gen Police Interceptor. Sweet looking vehicles!
__________________
David

BCD396XT, BCD996XT
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 08-22-2013, 5:19 PM
carlt's Avatar
Member
   
Join Date: May 2004
Location: SD County, CA
Posts: 107
Default

It's about time SDPD gives their K-9s new vehicles. They usually get the almost out-to-pasture cars, and have to use them until they won't go anymore!
__________________
Listening to San Diego since 1968!
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 08-22-2013, 6:30 PM
mkewman's Avatar
Member
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Sacramento County, California
Posts: 1,692
Default

My understanding from a friend at the radio shop, All the CHP explorers are 700 mhz VRS equpped. And have radios programmed with 1 encrypted 700mhz mode.
__________________
the preceeding post in no way reflects the views of anyone except myself.
---
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 08-22-2013, 6:38 PM
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 223
Default

Connecticut picked of a few and a few chargers.
CT uses them as an off duty vehicle - so there is no Identifications.
The Crown Vic's and some of the Older Expeditions have removable Whelen Light Bars.
It appears in the 'in term' they are pushing out a series of vehicles with no bars right now - Strictly undercover lighting.
Attached Images
 
__________________
Kmacinct....
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 08-23-2013, 2:27 PM
Member
   
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 357
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmacinct View Post
Connecticut picked of a few and a few chargers.
CT uses them as an off duty vehicle - so there is no Identifications.
The Crown Vic's and some of the Older Expeditions have removable Whelen Light Bars.
It appears in the 'in term' they are pushing out a series of vehicles with no bars right now - Strictly undercover lighting.
For me the rims give it away.
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 08-24-2013, 9:17 PM
mkewman's Avatar
Member
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Sacramento County, California
Posts: 1,692
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by russianspd View Post
For me the rims give it away.
true, but you can't see the rims when it's behind you!
__________________
the preceeding post in no way reflects the views of anyone except myself.
---
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 08-25-2013, 1:05 AM
Member
   
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 357
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkewman View Post
true, but you can't see the rims when it's behind you!
I always look for the cage meshing while looking straight through their car from my rear view mirror. Also if they have a laptop sticking up slightly above the dash.
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 08-25-2013, 2:09 AM
Paco-Jerte's Avatar
Member
   
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: 34.0500 N, 118.2500 W
Posts: 533
Default Re: New CHP Explorer

Seen alot of them around West Valley for a while.. sick @$$ vehicles

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2
__________________
tons of scanners why list them huh
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 09-01-2013, 2:09 AM
mkewman's Avatar
Member
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Sacramento County, California
Posts: 1,692
Default

I posted this on another thread but I may as well post it here. There's a metric-crap-ton of Explorers in West Sac that are waiting to be outfitted with new radios and the VRS. Techs are working both day and night shifts to outfit them and apparently CVPIs that haven't had the 700 VRS installed, and aren't near end-of-life are also a major priority.

This change is going to go a lot faster than we're all expecting.
__________________
the preceeding post in no way reflects the views of anyone except myself.
---
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old 09-01-2013, 2:56 AM
Member
   
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 7,039
Default

I wonder where the money is coming from? The whole CHPERS program seems to have slowed considerably so I'm wondering why they have such a high priority on the new mobile radio configuration. The CHP is 8 months out of compliance with the narrowband mandate on the 154.905 radios, but I think there are likely other agencies in the same boat, so I wouldn't expect that to be a problem.

This is as I understand things myself. There must be something I'm missing.
Reply With Quote
  #16 (permalink)  
Old 09-01-2013, 10:41 AM
ramal121's Avatar
Member
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Sonoma, CA
Posts: 1,565
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exsmokey View Post
The CHP is 8 months out of compliance with the narrowband mandate on the 154.905 radios.
Just read a magazine article. FCC David Furth stated the narrow band mandate is now about 85% compliant and hinted they will aggressively pursue wide band licensees. I'm sure the CHP as large as they are, sticks out like a sore thumb.
Reply With Quote
  #17 (permalink)  
Old 09-01-2013, 8:41 PM
mkewman's Avatar
Member
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Sacramento County, California
Posts: 1,692
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exsmokey View Post
I wonder where the money is coming from? The whole CHPERS program seems to have slowed considerably so I'm wondering why they have such a high priority on the new mobile radio configuration. The CHP is 8 months out of compliance with the narrowband mandate on the 154.905 radios, but I think there are likely other agencies in the same boat, so I wouldn't expect that to be a problem.

This is as I understand things myself. There must be something I'm missing.
I believe they already have the equipment, it's just a matter of installing it. Procurement happened a long time ago. The deadline for that passed a long time ago and they purchased everything they needed so they wouldn't lose the budgeted money.

Also, they want to be in compliance with the FCC. I'm speculating here, but it could make it harder to acquire the frequencies they'll need in the future for the statewide 700 system if they don't get compliant and fast. I'm not saying the FCC would deny applications, but they could delay things and make it a little more difficult in the future, and could take a "well you weren't in a hurry to get compliant in '13, why are you in such a hurry now?" stance.

Also, OES is now in charge of public safety communications. It would be pretty embarrassing for OES if they got a notice or fined by the FCC in their first year on the job. I think one of the reasons why the CHPERS project slowed is because of the transfer of the agency from CTA to OES.
__________________
the preceeding post in no way reflects the views of anyone except myself.
---

Last edited by mkewman; 09-01-2013 at 8:46 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #18 (permalink)  
Old 09-02-2013, 1:30 PM
K6CDO's Avatar
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 975
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkewman View Post
I believe they already have the equipment, it's just a matter of installing it. Procurement happened a long time ago. The deadline for that passed a long time ago and they purchased everything they needed so they wouldn't lose the budgeted money.
Much of the funding comes out of vehicle registration fees and road/gas taxes. Installation has been delayed due to a number of factors, including "you can only do so much with the staff resources available."

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkewman View Post
Also, they want to be in compliance with the FCC. I'm speculating here, but it could make it harder to acquire the frequencies they'll need in the future for the statewide 700 system if they don't get compliant and fast. I'm not saying the FCC would deny applications, but they could delay things and make it a little more difficult in the future, and could take a "well you weren't in a hurry to get compliant in '13, why are you in such a hurry now?" stance.
The State already has their 700 MHz frequencies, and they don't have to apply for individual licenses. They do, however, have to show they are using their 700 MHz spectrum, and the CHP is key in meeting the FCC's mandates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkewman View Post
Also, OES is now in charge of public safety communications. It would be pretty embarrassing for OES if they got a notice or fined by the FCC in their first year on the job. I think one of the reasons why the CHPERS project slowed is because of the transfer of the agency from CTA to OES.
OES is now the agency that the Public Safety Communications Division (PSCD) is within, just as CTA was the agency that PSCD was within. It is still PSCD's responsibility (as the Governor's designee) to ensure State land-mobile operations are in compliance. Any 'black eyes' stay in PSCD, the same as it was under CTA, and DGS before that.

As to the delays on CHPERS, see my comments above as to one of the reasons for the delays (there are other significant reasons, also, which I won't get into).
Reply With Quote
  #19 (permalink)  
Old 09-02-2013, 5:38 PM
Member
   
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 357
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkewman View Post
I posted this on another thread but I may as well post it here. There's a metric-crap-ton of Explorers in West Sac that are waiting to be outfitted with new radios and the VRS. Techs are working both day and night shifts to outfit them and apparently CVPIs that haven't had the 700 VRS installed, and aren't near end-of-life are also a major priority.

This change is going to go a lot faster than we're all expecting.
What constitutes the end of life for an CVPI? Seems they run forever and have long lives.
Reply With Quote
  #20 (permalink)  
Old 09-02-2013, 8:53 PM
Member
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Peoria, AZ.
Posts: 3,390
Default

Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (BREW; Opera Mini/6.0.3/27.2338; U; en) Presto/2.8.119 320X240 LG VN530)

Ford has just issued a recall for all 2005-2011 Ford Crown Vic's (including CVPI's), Mercury Grand Marquis and Lincoln Towncars due to a corrosion problem on steering wheel shafts that could lead to loss of steering control. I don't know how that may affect the CHP's fleet of CVPI's (or any other agency, for that matter), how quickly the issue can be taken care of.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 3:09 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
All information here is Copyright 2012 by RadioReference.com LLC and Lindsay C. Blanton III.Ad Management by RedTyger
Copyright 2015 by RadioReference.com LLC Privacy Policy  |  Terms and Conditions