RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > U.S. Regional Radio Discussion Forums > California Radio Discussion Forum

California Radio Discussion Forum - Forum for discussing Radio Information in the State of California.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-20-2013, 9:50 PM

Default New CHP Explorer

Just happen to walk by one for the first time, while he was giving a guy a ticket. Unfortunately didn't get a pic. They look pretty cool. Didn't get a good look, but it had the regular low band, then they might have had a low profile can for the 700. Not sure. Then also the regular slanted FM in the back.
Sponsored links
Old 08-20-2013, 11:32 PM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPD1 View Post
Just happen to walk by one for the first time, while he was giving a guy a ticket. Unfortunately didn't get a pic. They look pretty cool. Didn't get a good look, but it had the regular low band, then they might have had a low profile can for the 700. Not sure. Then also the regular slanted FM in the back.
Riverside Co. Sheriff K9 has one too. Saw it on the 10 west bound from Calimesa. I need to snap a pic too.
Old 08-21-2013, 1:02 PM
Global DB Admin
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin

We have a thread in the Los Angeles section (w/pic) as CHP Southern just got their first batch of vehicles.

http://forums.radioreference.com/gre...y-vehicle.html

=
Old 08-21-2013, 7:39 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

San Diego PD has a few on the street, this one is K-9.
Attached Images

Old 08-21-2013, 11:56 PM
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin

Arrow

Escondido, California

Light under the side mirrors
http://www.soundoffsignal.com/produc...r-mirror-light
Sponsored links
Old 08-22-2013, 12:05 AM

The next-gen Police Interceptor. Sweet looking vehicles!

BCD396XT, BCD996XT
Old 08-22-2013, 5:19 PM

It's about time SDPD gives their K-9s new vehicles. They usually get the almost out-to-pasture cars, and have to use them until they won't go anymore!
Old 08-22-2013, 6:30 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

My understanding from a friend at the radio shop, All the CHP explorers are 700 mhz VRS equpped. And have radios programmed with 1 encrypted 700mhz mode.
Old 08-22-2013, 6:38 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Connecticut picked of a few and a few chargers.
CT uses them as an off duty vehicle - so there is no Identifications.
The Crown Vic's and some of the Older Expeditions have removable Whelen Light Bars.
It appears in the 'in term' they are pushing out a series of vehicles with no bars right now - Strictly undercover lighting.
Attached Images

Old 08-23-2013, 2:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmacinct View Post
Connecticut picked of a few and a few chargers.
CT uses them as an off duty vehicle - so there is no Identifications.
The Crown Vic's and some of the Older Expeditions have removable Whelen Light Bars.
It appears in the 'in term' they are pushing out a series of vehicles with no bars right now - Strictly undercover lighting.
For me the rims give it away.
Old 08-24-2013, 9:17 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by russianspd View Post
For me the rims give it away.
true, but you can't see the rims when it's behind you!
Old 08-25-2013, 1:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkewman View Post
true, but you can't see the rims when it's behind you!
I always look for the cage meshing while looking straight through their car from my rear view mirror. Also if they have a laptop sticking up slightly above the dash.
Old 08-25-2013, 2:09 AM

Default Re: New CHP Explorer

Seen alot of them around West Valley for a while.. sick @$$ vehicles

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2
Old 09-01-2013, 2:09 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I posted this on another thread but I may as well post it here. There's a metric-crap-ton of Explorers in West Sac that are waiting to be outfitted with new radios and the VRS. Techs are working both day and night shifts to outfit them and apparently CVPIs that haven't had the 700 VRS installed, and aren't near end-of-life are also a major priority.

This change is going to go a lot faster than we're all expecting.
Old 09-01-2013, 2:56 AM

I wonder where the money is coming from? The whole CHPERS program seems to have slowed considerably so I'm wondering why they have such a high priority on the new mobile radio configuration. The CHP is 8 months out of compliance with the narrowband mandate on the 154.905 radios, but I think there are likely other agencies in the same boat, so I wouldn't expect that to be a problem.

This is as I understand things myself. There must be something I'm missing.
Old 09-01-2013, 10:41 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exsmokey View Post
The CHP is 8 months out of compliance with the narrowband mandate on the 154.905 radios.
Just read a magazine article. FCC David Furth stated the narrow band mandate is now about 85% compliant and hinted they will aggressively pursue wide band licensees. I'm sure the CHP as large as they are, sticks out like a sore thumb.
Old 09-01-2013, 8:41 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exsmokey View Post
I wonder where the money is coming from? The whole CHPERS program seems to have slowed considerably so I'm wondering why they have such a high priority on the new mobile radio configuration. The CHP is 8 months out of compliance with the narrowband mandate on the 154.905 radios, but I think there are likely other agencies in the same boat, so I wouldn't expect that to be a problem.

This is as I understand things myself. There must be something I'm missing.
I believe they already have the equipment, it's just a matter of installing it. Procurement happened a long time ago. The deadline for that passed a long time ago and they purchased everything they needed so they wouldn't lose the budgeted money.

Also, they want to be in compliance with the FCC. I'm speculating here, but it could make it harder to acquire the frequencies they'll need in the future for the statewide 700 system if they don't get compliant and fast. I'm not saying the FCC would deny applications, but they could delay things and make it a little more difficult in the future, and could take a "well you weren't in a hurry to get compliant in '13, why are you in such a hurry now?" stance.

Also, OES is now in charge of public safety communications. It would be pretty embarrassing for OES if they got a notice or fined by the FCC in their first year on the job. I think one of the reasons why the CHPERS project slowed is because of the transfer of the agency from CTA to OES.

Last edited by mkewman; 09-01-2013 at 8:46 PM..
Old 09-02-2013, 1:30 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
I believe they already have the equipment, it's just a matter of installing it. Procurement happened a long time ago. The deadline for that passed a long time ago and they purchased everything they needed so they wouldn't lose the budgeted money.
Much of the funding comes out of vehicle registration fees and road/gas taxes. Installation has been delayed due to a number of factors, including "you can only do so much with the staff resources available."

Quote:
Also, they want to be in compliance with the FCC. I'm speculating here, but it could make it harder to acquire the frequencies they'll need in the future for the statewide 700 system if they don't get compliant and fast. I'm not saying the FCC would deny applications, but they could delay things and make it a little more difficult in the future, and could take a "well you weren't in a hurry to get compliant in '13, why are you in such a hurry now?" stance.
The State already has their 700 MHz frequencies, and they don't have to apply for individual licenses. They do, however, have to show they are using their 700 MHz spectrum, and the CHP is key in meeting the FCC's mandates.

Quote:
Also, OES is now in charge of public safety communications. It would be pretty embarrassing for OES if they got a notice or fined by the FCC in their first year on the job. I think one of the reasons why the CHPERS project slowed is because of the transfer of the agency from CTA to OES.
OES is now the agency that the Public Safety Communications Division (PSCD) is within, just as CTA was the agency that PSCD was within. It is still PSCD's responsibility (as the Governor's designee) to ensure State land-mobile operations are in compliance. Any 'black eyes' stay in PSCD, the same as it was under CTA, and DGS before that.

As to the delays on CHPERS, see my comments above as to one of the reasons for the delays (there are other significant reasons, also, which I won't get into).
Old 09-02-2013, 5:38 PM

Quote:
I posted this on another thread but I may as well post it here. There's a metric-crap-ton of Explorers in West Sac that are waiting to be outfitted with new radios and the VRS. Techs are working both day and night shifts to outfit them and apparently CVPIs that haven't had the 700 VRS installed, and aren't near end-of-life are also a major priority.

This change is going to go a lot faster than we're all expecting.
What constitutes the end of life for an CVPI? Seems they run forever and have long lives.
Old 09-02-2013, 8:53 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (BREW; Opera Mini/6.0.3/27.2338; U; en) Presto/2.8.119 320X240 LG VN530)

Ford has just issued a recall for all 2005-2011 Ford Crown Vic's (including CVPI's), Mercury Grand Marquis and Lincoln Towncars due to a corrosion problem on steering wheel shafts that could lead to loss of steering control. I don't know how that may affect the CHP's fleet of CVPI's (or any other agency, for that matter), how quickly the issue can be taken care of.