Carnival Cruise Lines-No Ham Radio Allowed

Status
Not open for further replies.

rfsparkz

Premium Subscriber
Just wanted all of you to know that Carnival Cruise Lines does not allow any type of Ham Radio on board.I saw this posted on the wall while getting off The Carnival Freedom in Venice last October.Scanners should not be a problem though.

Russ VE3ELL

Chris-KH2PM

Premium Subscriber
Intersting. Yet I found this after doing an internet search.

http://www.carnivalconnections.com/cruisetalk/forums/p/48834/175018.aspx

http://www.hamradiocruises.com/

The 'Ham Radio Cruise' was obviously a special event and they allowed guests to bring
their gear and use it.

Otherwise, Ham Radio equipment is on the "prohibited list". I would think that applies to
HF equipment and would not think twice about bringing a small handheld for VHF/UHF
with me. There are always dozens of guests on board that are using FRS radios so
who would know the difference?

Now if you were to set up a big HF station and bolt on a vertical antenna to the ship,
well ahhhh...

Last edited:

ecps92

Yet, FRS and GMRS are the most likely to interfere with the Ships Frequencies.

Altho it could be the ship doesn't want to be Party to any Amateurs improperly operating
in a foreign country .....w/o asking for permission...

I'll have to ask Carnival in an e-mail...

Just wanted all of you to know that Carnival Cruise Lines does not allow any type of Ham Radio on board.I saw this posted on the wall while getting off The Carnival Freedom in Venice last October.Scanners should not be a problem though.

Russ VE3ELL

appalachianscanner

Premium Subscriber
yarrrr ye might be talkin to em pirates pack ye mitter and yell walk da plank,
Seems like Ham Radio and Firearms are gettin more common every day,

Hey buddy you got a license to use that?
Are you the Police?
You cant have that in your car.
You're making people nervous with that.
Nark!
Prohibited Items....

ecps92

I still have an e-mail into them, as GMRS/FRS would cause more interference than a Licensed Amateur.
But here is the Link
http://www.carnival.com/CMS/FAQs/What_NOT_to_Pack.aspx

yarrrr ye might be talkin to em pirates pack ye mitter and yell walk da plank,
Seems like Ham Radio and Firearms are gettin more common every day,

Hey buddy you got a license to use that?
Are you the Police?
You cant have that in your car.
You're making people nervous with that.
Nark!
Prohibited Items....

RayAir

Russ VE3ELL

Don't know why not, I have cruised Carnival three times (3 different ships) and every gift shop sold FRS/GMRS hand held radios. Unless it has to do with radio laws in other countries? But then why do they sell FRS?

On land where I am pretty sure FRS, etc is not permitted I normally use Motorola DTR 650's for short range comms with a little earpiece since the DTR signal is virtually undetectable (LPI).

ecps92

A Very Short reply, and not signed [means standard line of CRAP] from Carnival was returned with

"Due to security reasons and the possible interference with the ship's communications, amateur radios are not permitted on board."

I replied about FRS/GMRS on-board and being sold in the same band, vs the amateur and requested to be directed to someone who drafted or had input into this ODD rule.

I still have an e-mail into them, as GMRS/FRS would cause more interference than a Licensed Amateur.
But here is the Link
http://www.carnival.com/CMS/FAQs/What_NOT_to_Pack.aspx

RADIOGUY2002

Ahh

Well thats pretty stupid, and now cI know they won't get my business until they can firgure out what radio is really about. Morons

fun for none, their rules are tad bit crazy

Last edited:

rescuecomm

I asked somewhat the same question of Celebrity Cruise Lines several years ago about a dual band 2m/440 WT and a portable GPS. The ham radio was not a problem, but the GPS was taboo. Something about it interfering with the ships navigation systems. You could just tell them the 2m/440 radio is a new type FRS radio and they would probably let it go through.

Bob

skip39

i am going on carnival cruise lines in august for 5 days. can i still bring my scanner on board or the ship security officers gonna give me problems with bringing the scanner on the ship.
ryan

RobKB1FJR

Premium Subscriber
I asked somewhat the same question of Celebrity Cruise Lines several years ago about a dual band 2m/440 WT and a portable GPS. The ham radio was not a problem, but the GPS was taboo. Something about it interfering with the ships navigation systems. You could just tell them the 2m/440 radio is a new type FRS radio and they would probably let it go through.

Bob

That is what I'm talking about. Anything that is HF would be extremely hard to hide or lie about, unless its a QRP CW rig.

N

N_Jay

i am going on carnival cruise lines in august for 5 days. can i still bring my scanner on board or the ship security officers gonna give me problems with bringing the scanner on the ship.
ryan

Doesn't their web site tel you what is not allowed?

ecps92

I've never had a problem with a Scanner or Laptop, just carry it in either your checked bags or your carry on.

Use care when listening on-board [ear phone, head phones] makes folks think it's an ipod etc.

What Ship and from where? I can pass along some good channels to add
to your list

ryan

RADIOGUY2002

its like everything else

Its like everything else in life, when someone has no idea about it, they get all pissy.

It amazing the places I've been too and got the evil eye from security or other guests who have no idea about it or are so worried. But, funny I work in security and for high risk clients as far security aspects are consider. I rather apporach you and ask you questions about your equipment and your intent then give you the evil eye and have no idea what you carring or capable of. At least if I have a conversation with the person with the equipment I have some idea of what you capable of via radio and / or personally on some level. Their just worried about the potential for a risk as they not fully understandable or knowledgable in equiment theory or concepts and what to do in such evil circumstances if the person is with holding the equipment.Realstically they should be more considered with the stuff they can not see, typically us the ham groups or scanner enthuastis do not hide their equipment under most circumstances unless force into it like this situation. Being a marine vessel you alreay established that their on some type of vhf allocation alone. Now being made of heavy duty steal, the possibility of using vhf for general operations is rather unlikey. So, now we know they have vhf on borad for marine calling and uhf / 800 / 900 for daily operations on big vessels.

And at some places I just go right threw security points because of all the equipment I have and what my car looks like. So, where is the justice. I have also been stopped purily as investiagtive stops just to see what equipment I have in my car or stocked on a properties. Whats funny about all this is I understand the techniques, so it doesn't surprise me and in most cases they get a nice break check. Come check out my stuff and me before you get all crazy or stupid, I give you a tour.

Thayne

Its like everything else in life, when someone has no idea about it, they get all pissy.

It amazing the places I've been too and got the evil eye from security or other guests who have no idea about it or are so worried. But, funny I work in security and for high risk clients as far security aspects are consider. I rather apporach you and ask you questions about your equipment and your intent then give you the evil eye and have no idea what you carring or capable of. At least if I have a conversation with the person with the equipment I have some idea of what you capable of via radio and / or personally on some level. Their just worried about the potential for a risk as they not fully understandable or knowledgable in equiment theory or concepts and what to do in such evil circumstances if the person is with holding the equipment.Realstically they should be more considered with the stuff they can not see, typically us the ham groups or scanner enthuastis do not hide their equipment under most circumstances unless force into it like this situation. Being a marine vessel you alreay established that their on some type of vhf allocation alone. Now being made of heavy duty steal, the possibility of using vhf for general operations is rather unlikey. So, now we know they have vhf on borad for marine calling and uhf / 800 / 900 for daily operations on big vessels.

And at some places I just go right threw security points because of all the equipment I have and what my car looks like. So, where is the justice. I have also been stopped purily as investiagtive stops just to see what equipment I have in my car or stocked on a properties. Whats funny about all this is I understand the techniques, so it doesn't surprise me and in most cases they get a nice break check. Come check out my stuff and me before you get all crazy or stupid, I give you a tour.

Okay, thanks for the concise posting clearing that up!

gcgrotz

Another reason not to sail on Carnival, IMHO.

With the attitude of many people, I would say that I'm paying you a lot of money for a vacation and I'm taking my radios. There are plenty of other ships to sail on.

As for GPS interfering with their navigation, HAHA!

Idiots.

bigbcbear

Just had to add this from the do not use on board list for Carnival Lines and I quote (Metal Detectors: Guests are not permitted to use metal detectors on board because anything found on board would "belong" to Carnival Cruise Lines. We would then try to return the item to the guest. ) trying to metal detect in side a metal can , that a new one . This company is sooo funny . lol

RayAir

FYI, Norwegian Cruise Lines is worse than Carnival when it comes to the use of 2-way radios.

Status
Not open for further replies.