RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > International Radio Discussion Forums > Caribbean Radio Discussion Forum

Caribbean Radio Discussion Forum Discussion Forum for Puerto Rico, The Virgin Islands, the Bahamas, an other Caribbean nations

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-22-2011, 6:21 AM

We are the ones paying their salaries,so we should be able to take our radios!
Rules are meant to be broken.
Sponsored links
Old 07-22-2011, 8:20 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

BTW they don't allow you to be bailed out of "Cruise Ship Jail"
I hear those Philipino Guards are tough

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicjellybeans View Post
We are the ones paying their salaries,so we should be able to take our radios!
Rules are meant to be broken.
Old 01-29-2012, 12:54 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default Ham friendly cruise line

Holland America has a SOP that states that as long as no interfearence is created you can operate.

I have cruised twice on Holland America. Each time I operated from the rear deck with an Icom 7000, LDG antenna tuner, and 1/2 G5RV strung just outboard of the railing. I brought a 65 amp gel cell and was able to work stations all day long. Each time I came home to over 50 QSL cards. I worked most bands with about 65 watts out.

The CG conducted an emergency evacuation by helo while we were off of centeral Baja. I was able to hear all of the excitement.

Holland America is Ham friendly
Old 01-31-2012, 10:11 PM

Default Carnival Cruise Lines-No Ham Radio Allowed

I am glad that I happened to run across this resurrected post. I have been on cruises in the past and I have brought an amateur radio portable with me a couple of times. Anyway, this winter my wife and sons and I will be going on Carnival. I have been on various lines in the past, but never Carnival. Anyway, I have been considering what sort of devices to bring along for us. Both my wife and I are ham radio operators. I considered amateur, FRS, GMRS, MURS, 900 mHz ISM, Direct Talk, etc. So far, I am leaning towards my old Nextels for off-network Direct Talk simplex. I probably will only get less than a mile for range, but that should be good enough on ship and from ship to shore (nearby). The other issue is Nextels look like cellular mobile telephones. They don't look like two way radios. (I actually do have one Motorola remote speaker microphone for Nextel, but I better leave that home!)
Old 02-01-2012, 6:46 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

When I hear Cruise Lines talking about Ham Radio, and in discussion with the on-board staff, it seems to be BASE/Mobile type operations and not Portables.

I have never been questioned over a portable radio, even with a speaker-mic. Only a base radio, has drawn attention. YMMV

Quote:
Originally Posted by JASII View Post
I am glad that I happened to run across this resurrected post. I have been on cruises in the past and I have brought an amateur radio portable with me a couple of times. Anyway, this winter my wife and sons and I will be going on Carnival. I have been on various lines in the past, but never Carnival. Anyway, I have been considering what sort of devices to bring along for us. Both my wife and I are ham radio operators. I considered amateur, FRS, GMRS, MURS, 900 mHz ISM, Direct Talk, etc. So far, I am leaning towards my old Nextels for off-network Direct Talk simplex. I probably will only get less than a mile for range, but that should be good enough on ship and from ship to shore (nearby). The other issue is Nextels look like cellular mobile telephones. They don't look like two way radios. (I actually do have one Motorola remote speaker microphone for Nextel, but I better leave that home!)
Sponsored links
Old 02-05-2012, 2:26 PM

Thumbs down

i had my police scanner on the carnival cruise and they confiscated it from me. so i advise you not to take it on carnival with you.
ryan
Old 02-06-2012, 4:25 AM

Default Carnival Cruise Lines-No Ham Radio Allowed

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip39 View Post
.....i had my police scanner on the carnival cruise and they confiscated it from me.....
Did they ever return it to you?
Old 02-06-2012, 6:07 AM

yes they returned my scanner
Old 02-06-2012, 10:16 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

And their reasoning was?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip39 View Post
i had my police scanner on the carnival cruise and they confiscated it from me. so i advise you not to take it on carnival with you.
ryan
Sponsored links
Old 02-06-2012, 10:28 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I have been on 11 cruises with Carnival and not once have I been bothered by their security about having a scanner or a portable Ham radio. I have left the scanner charging on the table in the room and never been asked about it. I have used the portable on deck and never been bothered. If you are dumb enough to ask them about using the radio Yes they will say no. I worked for 1 yr with them doing baggage ex-ray and on their confiscate list they do not list scanners or ham radios. Remember this OUT OF SITE OUT OF MIND.