St. Maarten

Status
Not open for further replies.

DMBFireman

Feed Provider
Hello everyone,

I will be going to St. Maarten in August and of course visiting Maho Bay to photograph the airliners. In addition to information on the aviation frequencies I am also looking for other monitoring opportunities on St. Maarten like Police, Fire, and EMS. I have not been able to come up with much searching google so does anyone have any information they can share about scanning here? I'm also interested in any laws or restrictions on scanners in St. Maarten. Thanks for the help!

Brandon Thetford

FLRAILMAN

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Brandon, relax, my ex had tons of relatives on the French side & whenever we stayed there I brought tons of radios listening to everthing I could, I don't have the local frequencies anymore, we are talking over 8 years ago & I never had a problem on either the French or Dutch side, The police on the French side are very courteous & accomodating & VERY busy so don't worry about them, the police on the Dutch side are not as busy however they are very snobbish & too busy trying to look important & that's a good thing, not to mention the fact that both police departments have been consuming their time battling each other in a jurisdictional turf war that's been going on since the beginning of time. Nine out of ten people are walking around with cameras taking pictures of any & everything so you don't have to worry about that either. Also the downtown areas of both sides is wall to wall locals & tourist so I think you could carry an assault rifle on your shoulders & nobody would notice, go ahead & enjoy yourself because in my opinion & from personal experience you are visiting one of the safest islands in the Carribean.

FLRAILMAN

Last edited:

harryshute

Premium Subscriber
Many years ago I monitored Police Force Netherlands Antilles (Dutch Side) on 149.500. Also heard stuff on 148.010 and 148.400. Dutch Tour company on 154.300. I had no problem carrying around a scanner and frequency counter.

carlosmarks637

QRT
Premium Subscriber
I too would be interested if anyone knew some frequencies down there. When I was there in April 2011 most police and airport workers were using Tetra radios which is un-monitorable what I understand.

gcr33

I was just there a week ago and the police on their bicycles in the downtown area (Dutch side) were carrying some type of Motorola radios and when they were talking it was encrypted (sounding) on the portables the 3 officers were carrying. They were stopped in a plaza area.
Are they using Tetra?
It was not a Trbo radio or any other Motorola I had seen or version thereof.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.