Status
Not open for further replies.

stafuneral

I am going on the Monarch of the Seas in April going to Coco Cay, and Nassau. Looking for fire, ems, and ship frequencies. Hope to load the scanner for interesting listening. Any help would be appreciated.

ecps92

Contact me Offline from my Web site and I can also provide you with a list of what OTHER cruise ships you should encounter on your trip. This applys to anyone going on a Cruise, always Glad to help in our Hobby.

My info for the Monach is from Aug of 2005 and has not been Re-Validated since then, so Any additions/corrections or Confirmations would be Great.

My Experience in the Carribean countries has been to search 160-174 for the Police/Fire/EMS, altho you never know what might POP elsewhere.

I am going on the Monarch of the Seas in April going to Coco Cay, and Nassau. Looking for fire, ems, and ship frequencies. Hope to load the scanner for interesting listening. Any help would be appreciated.

ecps92

The info for the Majesty is also weak and last reported in 2008.

The best bands [outside of the VHF Marine - Not just the USA Channels !]
is to program FRS./GMRS , then lock them out after you are Certain it is not Crew [give it some time, as they do use those same Frequencies]

Also put in

457.5000, 457.5250, 457.5500, 457.5750, 457.6000, 457.6250
467.5000, 467.5250, 467.5500, 467.5750, 467.6000, 467.6250
467.7500, 467.7750, 467.8000, 467.8250

Some might be updated before most Trips, as I plan on doing some research [Scan-Cation] in Miami this month [20+ ships in 5 days]

I am doing the same trip this month on the Majesty of the Seas. Different ship, but I'll see what is in each town.

Gator596

Premium Subscriber
The info for the Majesty is also weak and last reported in 2008.

The best bands [outside of the VHF Marine - Not just the USA Channels !]
is to program FRS./GMRS , then lock them out after you are Certain it is not Crew [give it some time, as they do use those same Frequencies]

Also put in

457.5000, 457.5250, 457.5500, 457.5750, 457.6000, 457.6250
467.5000, 467.5250, 467.5500, 467.5750, 467.6000, 467.6250
467.7500, 467.7750, 467.8000, 467.8250

Some might be updated before most Trips, as I plan on doing some research [Scan-Cation] in Miami this month [20+ ships in 5 days]

Thanks Bill - I put these freqs in and will also have the FRS/GMRS and Marine service searches running. Close call too!

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Interesting, I was not aware of that. How can they deny taking a radio on board? I have been tempted to take a Blues cruise, but the thought of being around people at sea for that long gives me the creeps. I will never get over the time I took a gambling cruise into international waters. It was like being on ship with people from a Far Side cartoon.

Confuzzled

going to Coco Cay, and Nassau. Looking for fire, ems, and ship frequencies. Hope to load the scanner for interesting listening. Any help would be appreciated.

I guess one question would be about the laws in the Bahamas and other islands regarding radios.

kennyblues

Interesting, I was not aware of that. How can they deny taking a radio on board? I have been tempted to take a Blues cruise, but the thought of being around people at sea for that long gives me the creeps. I will never get over the time I took a gambling cruise into international waters. It was like being on ship with people from a Far Side cartoon.

Don't be too creeped out about being on the Big Blues Cruise with a lot of like minded folk, it's a whole lot of fun, The boat is full with nothing but Blues fans with plenty of music going on at different locations on board until the break of dawn. It's a bit pricey but all Blues fans owe it themselves to make this high seas pilgrimage at least once.
Legendary Rhythm & Blues Cruise | The World's Only Fully Chartered Blues Cruise

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
If I am not mistaken, the Queen of the Blues, Etta James was on board one of these Blues Cruises. Now, I might go if she were on board; however, I recently heard that Etta is in very poor health. Thanks for the information.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Blues Cruise

Don't be too creeped out about being on the Big Blues Cruise with a lot of like minded folk, it's a whole lot of fun, The boat is full with nothing but Blues fans with plenty of music going on at different locations on board until the break of dawn. It's a bit pricey but all Blues fans owe it themselves to make this high seas pilgrimage at least once.
Legendary Rhythm & Blues Cruise | The World's Only Fully Chartered Blues Cruise

Charlie Musselwhite? What a friendly fellow. One night, in Houston, Texas at the Bon Ton Room, I had the privilege of shaking his hand. He signed his autograph too. Big Head Todd still mystifies me as to whether I would call them a blues act.

kennyblues

I don't think we'll see Etta perform again, word has it that she is not doing well at all. Suffering from Dementia and other related illnesses. I did get to see her on the Blues Cruise back in the mid ninety's. She really didn't enjoy being on the boat so she didn't really enjoy herself there. Charlie is a very cool guy, very friendly and accommodating to his fans, class act and quite a musician. Big Head Todd were just up here touring the Boston area paying tribute to Robert Johnson.

ecps92

Leave them on the ship to avoid issues, unless you have applied for a License from the various countries. You can still hear plenty from the Ship/Cabin of the host countries traffic

Bermuda requires a One-Time license and are very accomadating, especially with a Temp Amateur Radio Licenses.

I guess one question would be about the laws in the Bahamas and other islands regarding radios.

ecps92

What to Pack and Not Pack
a.) Ham Radios ;)

Gator596

Premium Subscriber
Bahamas Cruise aboard Majesty of the Seas

Here are my observations from last week aboard the Majesty Of The Seas (MajOTS).
Note: Due to the presence of other ships in the ports visited, only the freqs listed as heard Out At Sea (OAS) or those where I actually saw someone talking on a radio can be definitely associated to the MajOTS.

Miami
(Celebrity Century, Carnival Imagination and Norwegian Sky nearby)

467.8 – Annoying computer “handshakes” and some voice comms
467.5 – voice comms with “man with printer coming aboard”
467.825 – Handshakes. Also observed OAS so likely MajOTS
457.55 – voice comms with talk of “concierge”
457.525 – “Bridge” callsign with talk of meeting between Ships Officers and Coast Guard Officers. Also east Europe accented English with talk about generators. (NB - MajOTS Engineering Officer was noted to be from former USSR)
457.575 – previously identified on Bill Dunn’s excellent website as a MajOTS freq in 2008 and observed to still be in use on same ship. Many comms mentioning “security officers”, and “Gangway to Bridge” with calls regarding counts of crew and passengers who were late to board at ports of call. Also “Port Agent to Bridge” with luggage deliveries, etc.

Out At Sea
(Carnival Imagination always on horizon during passage to Key West)
161.75 (Marine Chan 23R) – Open mic with TV in background
912.9 – household noises and conversation. Baby monitor?
143.75 – cowboy movie type music. TV headset?
149.75 – English language news. TV headset?
467.75 – handshakes
457.6 – crew with fire fighting muster exercise comms. Observed onboard MajOTS.
462.5875 (FRA/GMRS/MURS Chan2) – crew with talk of rooms and manifest. PL 192.8

Key west
Was fishing. No monitoring except just before departure to catch hilarious comms on 457.575 regarding late crew and passengers seen dashing down streets to ship.

Nassau
(Monarch Of The Seas, Carnival Fascination, Norwegian Sky and Norwegian Gem all docked nearby)
851.2375 – phone calls. English with Carib accents. NFM modulation
851.0375 – phone calls as above
460.25 – unk hotel housekeeping with Carib accents
Searching VHF at Prince Georges Wharf became almost impossible due to strong image/overload/bleed-over from unknown English language news program (Carib accents) that appeared almost everywhere on VHF band.
800MHz band active with many Taxi, hotel security and housekeeping comms with Carib accents.

CoCo Cay
(Unknow NCL ship, likely Norwegian Gem or Sky in sight at Great Stirrup Cay)
156.050 (Marine Chan 1A) – MajOTS tender comms
156.3 (Marine Chan 6A) – NCL “Tender Base”
156.6 (Marine Chan 12A) “CoCo Cay site Manager to Bridge” comms
457.525 – voice with talk about “anchor chain tension”. Eastern European accent. Likely MajOTS.
467.85 FRS/GMRS/MURS – briefly heard “bridge copies”. Strong sig but NCL ship still in sight.

All observations made with bcd396xt, Diamond RHF40 antenna and ear buds.
Other than one polite question from fellow cruise member, monitoring went unquestioned by rest of passengers and crew. YMMV.

The cruise ROCKED! I highly recommend taking a trip on the Majesty. Great food, Great Sights and Good Times!

swannie

I've done work aboard several RCCL ships during the new-build process and I was given a 16 channel Motorola radio while onboard.

The frequencies programmed in the radio were:
460.1750 460.5000 460.3000 460.6500 460.0250 460.0750 460.4000 460.5500
445.7750 445.8750 467.7500 467.7750 467.8000 457.5500 457.5250 457.5380

I don't know that they use those radios when in operation, but I'd be surprised if they don't. Usually each department onboard has a channel (Hotel, Food & Bev, Marine, IT, House Keeping, etc...) These should be current as of late last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.