celebrity no ham radio policy

Status
Not open for further replies.

skip39

does anyone if celebrity cruise lines allows police scanner on their ships. i would appreciate any information on this.
thanks ryan

KB1UAM

I don't see why not. its not like the airport where security checks your luggage. I would take it with me. I don't see any harm on taking it on a cruise

KB7MIB

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux i686; U; en-US) Gecko/20081217 Vision-Browser/8.1 301x200 LG VN530)

Check the cruise lines' website to see if they have any restrictions on scanners or 2-way radios. Also be aware that the laws in other countries regarding private possesion of 2-way and scanner radios may require a permit if you go ashore with it.

KB7MIB

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux i686; U; en-US) Gecko/20081217 Vision-Browser/8.1 301x200 LG VN530)

You don't want to find yourself in trouble with a foreign police department. (And most cruise liners do not fly the American flag, and are therefore considered "foreign soil", so that nations' laws would apply on board the ship.)

haleve

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Common Sense Prevails

I go on occasional cruises out of country & my radios stay locked in my luggage & only come out when I am in my stateroom, I never carry any of them into common areas of the ship & never disembark with any of them in another country.

Last edited:

ecps92

Actually you do go thru Airport type Security and if they see something they do confiscate.
There are two Screenings. A. People with Carry On's B.) Your luggage as it comes on-board the ship and they do call people down to have a further inspection.

My last Cruise they thought a bottle of Hand Sanitizer was Alcohol [Well, yes, but not the drinking.] No problem lets open the bag. One Ding-Bat actually had a full bar-b-que too set [why ? on a Cruise] in her bags, she will never get them back !

Never had a problem with Airport Security and any Scanner, Two-way or other electronics

I don't see why not. its not like the airport where security checks your luggage. I would take it with me. I don't see any harm on taking it on a cruise

Last edited:

ecps92

Most prohibit "Ham Radios" and from talking to friends in the industry that was written for the HF side, not mean't for 2/220/440 etc. Scanners have been no problem, altho you might get questioned by Security if they do see it [even in your room - Stateroom Attendent might advise them]

Best to
a.) Carry on - vs Check any Radios [less Scrutiny] same with Laptop etc
b:) Keep the Two Way hand-helds low key, altho FRS/GMRS are all around
c.) Scanners - use ear buds/head phones
d.) Leave the Radios on-board vs Shore Exc - you never know what the Laws on the Land are. I did use my 2meter HT in Bermuda a few years ago [they issue a Temp License]

Check the cruise lines' website to see if they have any restrictions on scanners or 2-way radios. Also be aware that the laws in other countries regarding private possesion of 2-way and scanner radios may require a permit if you go ashore with it.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Traveling with scanner

I take my scanner and usually a dual band ht in my carry on whenever I fly, and I have never had a problem, even when I went to Guatemala. I did get an official letter from the Guatemala radio society to present if I had any problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.