Top Conventional Frequencies For St. Thomas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Analogrules

Hey guys. My wife and I are going to St. Thomas in late spring and although I doubt I'll be doing much monitoring when I'm down there, I was hoping someone can perhaps give me the best local analog/conventional frequencies while I'm down there? I am not bringing my expensive bcd436 with me, just my baofeng. I noticed St. Thomas Territorial Police in tbe db, but none of the frequencies are listed as the main dispatch frequency, only law tac. What is St. Thomas's PD main police dispatch frequency (most active)? Also looking for the island's main EMS/FD dispatch channel(s). We are staying at a place called Point Pleasant Resort, so if anyone has the frequency their security uses, that would also be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much in advance. I went to their RR db page, but just not quite sure what are the main dispatch frequencies from what I see listed.

Analogrules

Well, it seems no one has any additional information aside from what is already in this forum and the radio reference database. I have decided to bring my digital scanner with me when I go in June. Although, I will be spending most of my time enjoying my vacation, if I happen to pick up anything in addition to what is in the RR database for St. Thomas, I will submit the information. I did notice that the FCC database does have several frequencies for St. Thomas that are not included in the radio reference database, so maybe I will be able to confirm some of them. I plan to just throw everything I find in my scanner and submit any new information into the RR DB once I get back.

Analogrules

I just got back from St. Thomas and have a lot of updates for the RR database. Many of the listed frequencies are not used anymore, while I found several active frequencies that are used (and not listed in the DB). Also, the DB is inaccurate by listing the frequencies in category by each island, although repeater sites for certain frequencies may come in stronger or weaker depending on your location. The police, EMS, and FD all operate on the same group of frequencies for the entire US. Virgin Island Region. The police department is called US Virgin Island PD, NOT St. Thomas PD or St. John PD like the database seems to indicate. There is a group of about 10+ frequencies with simulcast transmissions across all of the islands. However, it does not simulcasted on all frequencies at the same time, especially when there are several comms going on at once. It is an odd FM analog system, in which I've never encountered before. Either way, you do not need a digital or even a trunked scanner to monitor them. Here is a brief outline in case it takes forever for my updates to get approved by the administrators.

US VI Public Safety (PD/FD/EMS) monitored from east end of St. Thomas:

159.090, 159.120, 160.665, 159.150 (main dispatch channel), 159.450, 159.465. (Very strong signals)

Simulcasted at times with weaker signals on 160.980, 159.030, 159.210, 159.345, 159.360, 159.435, 159.780. (These may have been the St. John simulcast repeaters)

Data Channels (noise) on 158.895, 158.970, 159.000, 158.835

Note: Even the resort security frequencies and taxis frequencies were in the 158 - 161 range. It seems every agency on the island are packed in the same frequency range with nothing heard in any other band. Surprisingly, I heard zero marine comms on the standard marine frequencies.

Analogrules

Yes, I submitted the update to the DB, however I believe they were entered incorrectly under St. Croix instead of St. Thomas. All I know is that when I was down at St. Thomas a few weeks ago, the frequencies I listed above came in with a nice, strong signal meaning the repeaters must be in St. Thomas and should've been indicated as such in the DB (I guess these particular frequencies may also have repeaters in St. Croix and St. John.). I also cannot confirm or deny how the LTR group of frequencies are set up. But, if you're in St. Thomas and punch the frequencies I mentioned above in your scanner, you won't be missing anything. Of course it would be nice to figure out the correct grouping, so they can be entered in as a LTR system and avoid the long hang time at the end of each transmission.

sflmonitor

Premium Subscriber
I was last in the USVI in 2010. At that time, they had recently switched to some sort of VHF trunking system (from conventional). I never did map out any frequency usage as my time there was very limited. However, I can tell you that the USVI PD used Tait radios. With that said, does Tait support LTR Passport? I was under the impression they were using a MPT-1327 type system.

Status
Not open for further replies.