• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Galaxy CB Radios

Status
Not open for further replies.

freqs

Looking for some feedback & reviews from members here on the Galaxy line of CB radios. I'm considering the DX979 in particular.
galaxy
The one website i looked at said it was just like a cobra 148 but it has talkback had a good price $149 i heard they can do a few mods to it as well sounds like a good radio ??????

2beers4me

I have a DX959. Overall It's been a decent radio for me. It had It's share of abuse over the years, and keeps on going. She has been in and out of countless trucks, on and off the road, operated in extreme cold, you name it. The only problem I keep having with mine is, a piece of solder holding the a speaker connection keeps breaking loose from all the bumps in the rig (I drive a dump truck) . I got tired of fixing it, so now I just run an external speaker. I payed to have it tuned. I get great reports on AM & SSB. It swings up to 21 watts on AM. I did the frequency mod myself, very simple. This radio is most likely very similar to the 979, without the frequency counter. Galaxy still calls it a C.B., not an "Export",or 10 meter radio. If your not going to do the channel mod , or just want to stick with AM the 979 is good for you. If you want SSB , and don't want to unlock the clarifier, or channel it Galaxy makes a DX949. It's the same radio with no counter. I'll end it with this- Good radio - Good performance - Good Looks - Good price. (Oh, I'm also ready to be crucified for modifying a C.B. radio, he he). Good luck with decision.

SCPD

QRT
I have a 77hml that I've had for around 10 yrs. I like it, very good radio but I would definately get one with a freq. counter galaxy radios I found seem to like to drift off freq.from when first turned on.

p.s. when clipped the modulation is outrageous and when modded right will swing like no tomorrow. (2beers we will probably both be crucified LOL )

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Galaxy is on the FCC illegal radios list as not having type acceptance certification so just take it from there.

"p.s. when clipped the modulation is outrageous and when modded right will swing like no tomorrow."
Yeah, and splattering all over the band you'll make a lot of friends with it.

N

N_Jay

Why is it, if CBers know so much about AM, you never hear any commercial (or self-respecting amateur) user of AM ever talk about the wonderful things the CBers talk about? (e.g. "swing", etc.)

I never liked any of the galaxy radio's I owned for use on AM. But on SSB they are great and yea the swing when tuned up right. I have had the pluto, satern, 2950, 2970, satern 5 star, turbo, (but on all the base units I always the same problem as everone else the power supply I had to change them in each base radio same as the 2980, 2990,2995. and no drift if you never turn the radio off. But for a 11 meter only radio the RCI/Galaxy are the best.

durango5550

Booger D.
galaxy 959's and 979's are not illegal radios. they were made to be accepted on the 11 meter band. Now the other radios like the 33's 77's 88's 99's etc. are Illegal according to the FCC.

I had an 88 and it lasted for years. You will have problems with bad solder joints , most of them do.

Dan

pliquett

Galaxy's are top notch when it comes to performance but require occational tuning or maintenence. I am very rough on my radio's slip seating everyday,rain,snow, a drop in the parking lot. Depending on what you want to spend and what features you want some of these radios can be found on ebay or craigslist for a good price. I recently bought an older 33 on ebay for $66. It works pretty go now but it will really put fire in the wire after my tech puts a $40 tune on it. So for $106 I will have a high performance cb with some wear and tear. If you are looking for "bling" go with a STRYKER-440. Copy that.

kb2vxa

Banned
N_Jay, gotta love your sarcasm but this time it's so far out I don't think they understand a word you said... buddayedoo. (;->)

S meter: The meter that tells you how big an S you're talking to.

N

N_Jay

N_Jay, gotta love your sarcasm but this time it's so far out I don't think they understand a word you said... buddayedoo. (;->)

S meter: The meter that tells you how big an S you're talking to.

Swing is for old timers, still using An-EE-Log meters.

Any self respecting CBer would have a dig-EE-Tal meter and everything is measured in "blippies".

The idea is to get the blippies to go as high as possible on the TV screen.

kb2vxa

Banned
I think we both missed THIS one.
"But on SSB they are great and yea the swing when tuned up right."
Well, duh?

"The idea is to get the blippies to go as high as possible on the TV screen."
You bet your sweet blippie!

Last edited:

stevolene

the older galaxies sucked on ssb, they drifted like crazy, AM was a different story, I have an old chromed out 88 that would scream, hooked to a boomer 600, I talked skip all over the country when I was driving cross country

kb2vxa

Banned
No Stevolene, if it drifts it drifts... period. You just don't notice it in AM mode as much because you have no "clarifier" to contend with. Now why talk skip when you're driving, can't you wait to get there? (;->) Then with that amplified screamer at least you don't have to change channels when you splatter all of them at once. :)-<)

Shortwavewave

Galaxy is on the FCC illegal radios list as not having type acceptance certification so just take it from there.

Warren, not to nit pik, but thats not ture, the actual "CB RADIOS" that Galaxy Makes ARE IN FACT FCC Accepted.

Now the "so called" CB RADIOS with extra channels, are NOT FCC Accepted

AND the "Ham Radios" (10meters) that Galaxy Make Are FCC Accepted.

Its Confusing, because theres 3 different "types" of radios Galaxy Makes.

But 9 times out of 10 if its a Galaxy and its being sold at a Loves Travel Stop or the likes, its a Lagit CB 4watt Radio.

Creater

"p.s. when clipped the modulation is outrageous and when modded right will swing like no tomorrow."
Yeah, and splattering all over the band you'll make a lot of friends with it.

Actually the newer ones that are being talked about here do have an FCC type acceptance sticker on them. It's the older "Export Radios" that have been banished by the FCC Just food for thought since you come off of 2m long enough to see what the Chicken banders are up to.

wesct

Warren, not to nit pik, but thats not ture, the actual "CB RADIOS" that Galaxy Makes ARE IN FACT FCC Accepted.

Now the "so called" CB RADIOS with extra channels, are NOT FCC Accepted

AND the "Ham Radios" (10meters) that Galaxy Make Are FCC Accepted.

Its Confusing, because theres 3 different "types" of radios Galaxy Makes.

But 9 times out of 10 if its a Galaxy and its being sold at a Loves Travel Stop or the likes, its a Lagit CB 4watt Radio.

Heres an article from the ARRL:

http://www.arrl.org/news/stories/2008/03/26/10025/?nc=1

and another:

http://www.fcc.gov/eb/Orders/2007/DA-07-881A1.html

Heres the list:

http://74.125.95.132/search?q=cache:gFX87RexAbUJ:www.ve7kfm.com/citation.pdf+fcc+list+of+non+certified+cb+radios&cd=36&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

wesct

Last edited:

kb2vxa

Banned
Shorty, if you "not to nit pick" why then do you nit pick? You do it rather often and it's quite annoying for myself and others having to go back on you for damage control. Now to fix THIS mess, I stand by my statement that Galaxy is one of the manufacturers on the "hit list" and I never said they are ALL illegal so if you have something of substance to add by all means add it but if not your hollow criticism is most unwelcome.

Wsect, thank you for adding something of substance.

Shortwavewave

And I stand by my statement, as I said there were "multipul" radios. Also I didnt know I "nitpik all the time???" Sorry but Im not on here all the time:roll:

Wsect, Those are "shops" Galaxy has no control on what shops sell. 90% Of ALL CB SHOPS sell illegal radios.

Now I know there are Illegal radios, but Galaxy has a name of quality with there true 4watt radios, which are made by Ranger (who also fallows the same Illegal and True Radios)

I was just trying to clear up that people dont have to worry If they buy a radio from a Loves, Petro, or Truck Stop THAT DOES NOT HAVE a "cb radio shop".

Status
Not open for further replies.