• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Question about CB users .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deart

I was thinking of getting a CB radio.However, after listening to some CB'ers it appears to me that some use them as they see fit , very non professional to say the least .Do any folks using CB'S use them following the rules ? Maybe it is just my area .Seems to me the local CB'ers never give a call sign and speak like they nerer went to school .Maybe I should just forget getting a CB .Thanks for reading this.
Art
Pro 197
BC898T
Satellit750

Last edited:

gldavis

KE7MQF
Premium Subscriber
My initial reactions was, "What Rules???" There is no more requirment to have a liscense, or call sign on the CB Band. The FCC gave up policeing that band years ago. I have found the CB coming in handy for cross-country/Interestate travel for road and weather conditions. There seems to be fewer "truckers/professional drivers that are making reports on CH-19, but there are still a few that do.
I guess the first questoin for you would be, why do you want to get one?

KC8TCQ

The FCC no longer issues callsigns for the 11m band, and they no longer actively enforce the rules. 11m has turned into a zoo.

62Truck

Ordinary Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
The FCC no longer issues callsigns for the 11m band, and they no longer actively enforce the rules. 11m has turned into a zoo.

Thats why I went out and got my ham ticket.

K7CB

Premium Subscriber
Actually, the FCC does still enforce the rules...however, it is usually only in regards to amplifiers and uncertified radios. The FCC is no longer PROACTIVE....they've become REACTIVE...only doing something when they receive a bunch of complaints.

trace1

I was thinking of getting a CB radio.However, after listening to some CB'ers it appears to me that some use them as they see fit , very non professional to say the least .

It would seem most CB users do use it as they see fit and they are not "professional", after all it is CB (Citizens Band) radio...

Do any folks using CB'S use them following the rules ? Maybe it is just my area .

No it is just not your area and no the RULES are not strictly enforced, after all it is CB (Citizens Band) radio...

Seems to me the local CB'ers never give a call sign and speak like they nerer went to school .Maybe I should just forget getting a CB .Thanks for reading this.

Call-signs are not required anymore and they language used does leave a lot to be desired but after all it is CB (Citizens Band) radio...

However you may wish to still get a CB radio, it might be a cheap source of entertainment.

There is a warehouse distribution center near me that uses CB Ch. 8 to "check-in" the trucks and there is this one female security guard that gets really bent out of shape when one of the truckers blocks a certain drive-way. She will start screaming at them, threatening that she will send them to the back of the line etc.,etc.

And there was once, another person at the same location that got on to another person for using Ch. 8 telling them that it was a company frequency and that they had to get off of it!!!

Just remember that it is after all CB (Citizens Band) radio... ;)

Deart

I was thinking of getting a CB radio.However, after listening to some CB'ers it appears to me that some use them as they see fit , very non professional to say the least .Do any folks using CB'S use them following the rules ? Maybe it is just my area .Seems to me the local CB'ers never give a call sign and speak like they nerer went to school .Maybe I should just forget getting a CB .Thanks for reading this.
Art
Pro 197
BC898T
Satellit750
Thanks for the information .I got an education from the replies .Please feel free to delete this message now . THANKS ! Art

burner50

The Third Variable
Database Admin
Thanks for the information .I got an education from the replies .Please feel free to delete this message now . THANKS ! Art

Why would we delete it?

Anyway, there is more than one "CB" band now... There is 11 Meters, FRS, and MURS frequencies now.

11 Meters is the most widely used and it has turned into a mess. I once asked for advice on the best routes around the interstates in Dallas and I was lambasted by people who advised that I should get off the road.

I asked on 146.52 and received a much nicer reply.

btritch

I used to listen to the CB all the time. I have three in my room in the house and two for the car. However, around here all they wanna do is argue and argue and fuss and fight.. Well two in particular...So I got rid of them and switched to FM MURS channels AND it's MUCH better!!! Everyone who was nice on the CB band around here has switched to MURS channel 3. I got a Kenwood TK 7160 FM Transciever so I could monitor my local police/fire/ems frequencies but I also had the 5 MURS channels put in. I've used it for about a week now and it's much better than AM. No noise, No playing, No high power, not all the bullcrap that 11m has turned into. Would I got back to CB if it was cleaned up, Probably but is that going to happen around here, I doubt it.... As far as FMS goes, I don't use it much but it's pretty good around here too..
There's also a GMRS band too, But you have to obtain and FCC license for that band I think if I remember right..

There is a base station near my location that loves to trash talk to folks. He would probably would hold the Guiness Book for using the F-Bomb. He splatters real bad over 11m. I found him running a search over 10m ham on my Pro 96. and heard his splatter clear up past 27.4400mhz.

I used to enjoy DXing over LSB above Channel 37, which is illegal, but it seems that the sailor-mouthed fools found their way to SSB as well.

Meanwhile, my Cobra 148GLT sits in my closet collecting dust.

kny2xb

Why would we delete it?

11 Meters is the most widely used and it has turned into a mess. I once asked for advice on the best routes around the interstates in Dallas and I was lambasted by people who advised that I should get off the road.

I asked on 146.52 and received a much nicer reply.

I used to monitor ch 19 when I lived in New York State. I replied to someone requesting local info. There was a lot of interference, so I told him to go to ch 9, which was quieter. I gave him his info, and was then blasted by someone for using 9 for a non-emergency call. I told him to check his regulations, that ch 9 was for emergencies and travelers assistance. I told him I had assisted a traveler by giving him directions. No answer.

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Heh, you've already made your wise decision NOT to waste your time and money on CB but they just LOVE to pick it all apart and talk it to death. It makes for interesting reading but for once in my life "no comment".

Well just one... That's you all the way Joe D, tain fer onna rachet jaw tawkin inna circles anna goin' nowhere. Heck, it takes them longer than that just to give their handles and a vague description of where they are often 3 or 4 states over. So why wait for "skipland" when you can fiddle with the power up and down and fake it like I did? Oztraalya at 3:00am? No matter, they fell for it every time, you just have to get the accent right by listening to it.
Internode :: Residential :: Entertainment :: Broadband Radio
I could do a good bit of Jamaican too, da Rasta widda ganja pasta is bock atcha mon!

Nah, with idiots like me around there's no point in CB. Just reading me is bad enough but behind the mike I'll drive you to drinkin' (if you don't stop drivin' that hot rod Lincoln).

GrayJeep

Premium Subscriber
CB works reasonably well for vehicle convoys and 4WD trail rides because the radios are inexpensive and you can put a good antenna up on the roof. (vs FRS radios)

FRS/GMRS is what CB was planned to be back when the part of the ham frequency allocation that became CB was re-allocated. The skip characteristics of the band doomed the idea.

KC8TCQ

CB works reasonably well for vehicle convoys and 4WD trail rides because the radios are inexpensive and you can put a good antenna up on the roof. (vs FRS radios)

FRS/GMRS is what CB was planned to be back when the part of the ham frequency allocation that became CB was re-allocated. The skip characteristics of the band doomed the idea.

Exactly. I still don't understand why some of these guys spend so much money on 11m amps and many use ham radios to talk on 11m, why not get their ticket and just talk on the ham bands, they can legally talk around the world with a much better signal. I still can't believe the joker I heard on 20m earlier today though, 20m SSB with an echo mic :evil:

ERICMYERS

It is what it is

Although you'll very VERY rarely find anyone on this forum with anything positive to say about CB, there are a LOT of users in the world. I enjoy my CB, I enjoy listening to the trash talk, I'm not offended by rough language, and from time to time I find someone intelligent to have a conversation with.

It's a cheap hobby to get into. It's quite often entertaining, occasionally informative, pretty useful on a long road trip, and it's a radio to play (with which I like inherently in any form). Frankly, CB is far more interesting to listen to than most 2M yap I listen to during commutes.

CB's hold their value relatively well too for a very cheap investment, so if you get one and don't like it, sell it without taking a huge bath. I've spent more on dinner than a reasonably decent CB radio/antenna setup.

It is what it is.
Eric

pliquett

Just about all "Big Rigs" still have cb's in them though you usually cannot get a hold of the driver because they are on their cell phone. 19 is useful if there is a backup or road closure other than that it is constant arguing and fighting. Many of the trucking companys have "company channels" that everyone from a certain company uses to talk with fellow drivers. I use mine everyday at work to talk to fellow drivers, but would never use it in my personal vechicle with my wife and children present.

Status
Not open for further replies.