• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Vintage CB Find

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYRHKY94

Hi Guys:

I recently came across a MINT condition Johnson Messenger 132 telephone style base CB, and wanted to ask if any of you remember this one from the good old 70's! This model came out in 1975 (pictures of actual unit below).

Thanks!

Last edited:

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Yeah,that is a goodie! I used to have one back when I could stand to listen to cb!!
I had the mobile unit with the handset,before cell phones were popular. Got some looks!
Wasn't a fancy radio,but it worked well!
N9ZAS.

n9emz

I think that was the sorriest telephone I ever got hoodwinked into buying. Never succeeded in making even one call....hell, I couldn't even connect to an operator. All I ever got out of it was a bunch of people talking to each other that I never called or ever wanted to talk to.

I hope you have better luck with yours.

gewecke

Banned
One of the strangest cb contacts I had was made on mine...to a hot air ballon over chicago on ch.23.
Wish I could have made that contact on ssb!

DX949

Banned
One of the strangest cb contacts I had was made on mine...to a hot air ballon over chicago on ch.23.
Wish I could have made that contact on ssb!
That doesn't surprise me coming from you! your full of hot air.......I'm Bad

DX949

Banned
Hi Guys:

I recently came across a MINT condition Johnson Messenger 132 telephone style base CB, and wanted to ask if any of you remember this one from the good old 70's! This model came out in 1975 (pictures of actual unit below).

Thanks!

Real nice !! thanks for sharing,
Where did you find it ?

DX949

Banned
Hi Guys:

Thanks!
Real nice rig,where did you get it from ?

gewecke

Banned
Someone put the 22a,22b channels in the one I had. It should have been left stock.
Some of E.F.Johnson's earlier commercial remote bases looked similiar to that.
N9ZAS.

DX949

Banned
Then they'd be able to check out each others "handle"...

Maybe I'm worse worse worse worse worse. ;)

Like you did ?.....You are worse worse worse worse

Last edited:

DX949

Banned
Hi Guys:

Thanks!

Real nice rig,where did you get it from ?

ksphotoguy

I think that was the sorriest telephone I ever got hoodwinked into buying. Never succeeded in making even one call....hell, I couldn't even connect to an operator. All I ever got out of it was a bunch of people talking to each other that I never called or ever wanted to talk to.

I hope you have better luck with yours.

well, duh, it worked fine, you were just on a party line........ some people nowdays

Daniel_Boone

Banned due to duplicate accounts
Banned
That radio would be a pain in the butt to use for any period of time.
I believe that it was designed to be used in a quite space - such as a dispatchers office and not for home use.

At one time Johnson was pretty good stuff....

I would have a competent radioman check it out and make sure that all of the capacitors are in good shape before I hooked it up and tried to use it.
If something is not right - it could daisy chain and take out other things inside of the radio and it could get very expensive to repair.

Some of the older capacitors tended to dry out with age and go bad, even when it was in storage and not even hooked up.

Status
Not open for further replies.