• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

maybe a dumb question...

Status
Not open for further replies.

rafale01010

I got a few old antennaes for a cb, 3 were fiberglass whips and 1 was a metal whip with a coiled section about 3in from the base. it opens up, not 3in from the bottom, and has coiled copper i think and goes back to the whip after about another 2-3"and the last whip section is a pretty good length, not as long as my 102" whipthough. Does the coiled section improve reception or something else, i cant remember now. Any input greatly appreciated.

w8jjr

Premium Subscriber
simply the coil of wire electricly replaces the missing part of the 102'.

so you could have 30'' rod and the coil would be 72'' of wire. More to it, but thats it in a nut shell

rafale01010

Where would the best pace to put it be at? Right now i have it mounted in th mount i had for my 102"whip, which came out a while back, right on the passenger side of the back bumper.

w8jjr

Premium Subscriber
the best would be the 102 1/4 wave at that location. . Best spot would be center of the car- roof.
if size is not limiting.

rafale01010

Ah, thats what i figured. Where would i be able to just get the magnetic roof mount for the antennae instead of mounting it directly on the hood itself?

N

N_Jay

simply the coil of wire electricly replaces the missing part of the 102'.

so you could have 30'' rod and the coil would be 72'' of wire. More to it, but thats it in a nut shell

Yes, and No.
The coil "replaces" the length of the whip "electrically" but not physically.

The coil will have an inductance that is needed due to the whip being shorter then proper to resonate at the desired frequency, but the length of the wire in the coil is not directly related to the missing length of the antenna.

DX949

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
That is not a good analogy.

Analogy's us if you please, and set us straight on what would be a good analogy,keeping the topic posted in mind of course.

N

N_Jay

At antenna at resonance looks like a tuned L/C (Coil (Inductor)/Capacitor) network.

When it is not at its physical resonance frequency it either lacking capacitance or lacking inductance.
You add an appropriate capacitor or inductor at the appropriate point to return the circuit to resonance it the frequency you desire.

I find that analogies are hard to use because what seems like it helps explain it to one person ends up confusing others.

Even if we tried your "speed" analogy, the coil would be said to "Slow Down" the signal, so it takes a whole quarter cycle of time to get from the base of the antenna to the tip.

Last edited:

rafale01010

That helps me out a little, and the vehicle i'm mounting it to, if i can find the right mount, will be a 1994 Toyota Pickup. I really wont care if it'll look tacky, my trucks already has antennaes galore with 2 pieces of metal pipe for flag pole. The only thing i dont want to do is drill a hole in the roof of the cab

Status
Not open for further replies.