• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Cobra 2000 GTL CB Radio base

Status
Not open for further replies.

radiolalaland

Where can I find a good website that gives some info on the Cobra 2000 GTL CB radio?

As I understand, it's a great classic CB Base radio to have. I might be able to get one at a fairly cheap rate, and a D104 Mic.

Also, a good description of all the mods that could be done to this radio would be great also.

Thanx

radiolalaland

What type of price range are we looking at for this type of rig?

It would also come with a D104 Mic.

I doubt the radio is modded but still, it's a nice radio.

gr8amp

The average going price for a 2000 is about $150-200. I've seen them go for much more and much less, but the 150-200 range seems about average for a clean unmodified radio that usually includes the matching external speaker.

I wouldn't really call it a "classic" CB radio, but they have been around for a while. It uses the same main board as the cobra 148 and uniden grant XL (among others), and is very easily modified. 90% of them out there probably modified for extra frequency coverage, so if you find an unmolested one it might be worth a little bit more.

ReceiverBeaver

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
The "classic" referral here will be to Ebay. I see 'um on there all the time.

nexus

radiolalaland said:
Where can I find a good website that gives some info on the Cobra 2000 GTL CB radio?

As I understand, it's a great classic CB Base radio to have. I might be able to get one at a fairly cheap rate, and a D104 Mic.

Also, a good description of all the mods that could be done to this radio would be great also.

Thanx

http://cbworldinformer.com/cb_world_960901.htm

I found that link, not much else except a bunch of links on mod'ing the rig. I do know this, back in the 80's when I was in REACT that radio was like the DADDY of CB's. A very solid built rig full of features.

kb2vxa

Banned
Hi LaLa and readers,

Is La La Land a location or a state of mind? (;->)

A Cobra and D-104 is a fantastic combination, I love it!

There are two reasons why I'm strictly against mods, one is they're ILLEGAL and the other is they ruin the value of the equipment. Ask any collector of anything, once you change anything from the original you've ruined it, the highest value is "new in box" untouched by human hands. Of course this is extremely rare for equipment but once you lay monkey paws on it the value drops to ZERO.

kf4lne

kb2vxa said:
Hi LaLa and readers,

Is La La Land a location or a state of mind? (;->)

A Cobra and D-104 is a fantastic combination, I love it!

There are two reasons why I'm strictly against mods, one is they're ILLEGAL and the other is they ruin the value of the equipment. Ask any collector of anything, once you change anything from the original you've ruined it, the highest value is "new in box" untouched by human hands. Of course this is extremely rare for equipment but once you lay monkey paws on it the value drops to ZERO.

Hes right. I think it applies to almost all equipment. I had a couple of alinco DR 110T 2 meter radios, not very good compared to new radios, but great first radio or APRS rig, I could not sell the modded radio no matter how hard I tried but the un modded radio sold on the second try. Modded gear usually only sells to those who want it because it is modded. the old CObra 2000 radios are great radios, there were some that were made more recently that were just plain junk. Once upon a time Cobra radios either had uniden boards or used the same curcit as a Uniden (same as the Uniden/President Grant XL) and at some point they changed over to another mfg and the quality was lessened. I don't know if this held true with all Cobra radios, but it was that way with a good number of them. Anyway, the D-104 and the Cobra radio will sound great as long as it hasnt been "super modulated" or "tuned up" in some way shape or form, remember that the guys who designed these radios know what they are doing and designed it that way for a reason and its best not to make changes. If the radio was meant to be modded it would have came from the factory like that.

kb2vxa

Banned
Hi LNE and all,

There's ANOTHER reason why you couldn't sell the modded 2M rig, if it was out of band TX capable there's no way it would fall under the federal preemption of the scanner laws. That means if it's mobile and a cop checks it out you're busted in a very complicated legal morass that varies from state to state and municipality to municipality. As a point of interest to hams who think their mobile and portable scanners are preempted also, NOT! Only an Amateur Radio tranceiver capable of out of band RX is, provided that it's incapable of TX out of band AND it's not used to receive police frequencies. That means if one is in memory or you're caught with the VFO tuned to one, BUSTED.

Due to all these legal complications I have advised (an been razzed for it) people to leave the scanner home. That way when venturing into unfamiliar territory (which can be simply crossing the city limits) you won't hear Gomer in your ear, "Surprise surprise surprise!".

bruce449

not all mods are ILLEGAL

changing the mic from stock to a d-104 could be considered a mod not ILLEGAL

replacing the power transistor to stabilize the main board power is a mod that doesn't affect the overall RF output is not ILLEGAL.

manufacturers use substandard parts to save overall cost and improve there bottom line.

a better receive transistor and a few good diodes can make a huge difference without making your transceiver ILLEGAL.

now as for resale I agree an unmolested unit is way more attractive.

but if it is my transceiver I would like to all of these mods along with the super swing mod,and a complete realignment.

as long as the RF output is within legal levels it's all good,
I want to sound loud and clear with 99% modulation 2 watts dead key swinging to +/- 15 watts

comoman

Premium Subscriber
A nice completely stock Cobra 2000GTL is next to impossible to find. Most of them have had the Golden Screwdriver put to them. I have one that I bought brand new in 1978 that has never had the cover off of it and no it's not for sale. It's probably the best CB base radio I've ever had.

KD8NIV

A Cobra 2000 is a sweet radio, and best thing about it, it don't take much to get one to sound good, have ran several of them myself down through the years....if you find one that's a bone stock radio, no mods, in mint condition, look to spend close to 500 bucks for one, there rare to find, but they are out there, just have to look for them...

Status
Not open for further replies.