• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

whip antennas

Status
Not open for further replies.

ObiHann

question for you guys. My Jeep had for a while a 4' fiberglass antenna mounted on the back spare tire, but it became a head ache opening and closing the door and glass, so we took it off. I'm looking at some whip antennas, basically some of the magnetic mounts with about 38" length. I see a lot of people tie down whip antennas so they don't stick straight up and wave around, is there much of a reception issue from having them straight up and tied down?

freqs

Well for best reception you will need it straight up in the air .Most people tie them down like you say so it dont hit stuff when not in use .wolcottcb.com has some CB Antenna mounts for JEEPS you should take a look at .I mounted a CB antenna on my sons YJ on the spare tire mount but on the right side the part that mounts to the body

ObiHann

Would it look silly if I tie down a 38" whip?
Would it be risky tieing down a magnetic antenna? (don't want the megnetic base to pop off)

How about this

Obi, I had a YJ and it was hard to mount a ant. on the jeep. Here is what I did. I prefer and ant that is 8' and can B mounted off the drivers rear side taillight. I put the better L shape mount from any trucker store. I is heavy duty and can withstand some abuse. In my theory the top or ant. load needs to be above the jeep's top to get coverage to the front in a 360deg. And yes mounted to the rear will have a forward coverage since the ground will have more metal to the front. This is where I got a wilson 1000 in a 8' ant. If dealing with a garage use a 4' to 6' and has some flex to the tip. My 8' i used on the road and in the woods. I also carried the steel whip at 103". Use the 103" whip in the woods but if the receive is not as wanted then go to the 8' that is more rigid. Mounting your ant. on the left rear puts the ant on the side where the back roads have more clearance from trees. The right side will expose the ant to all the tree limbs along the way. If you have a light bar to deal with then mount it in the center and get receive in the 360deg. mode. I found a short ant. to mount there but the downside is if you have to carry canoes or kayaks that ant is in your way. I will say this for you that in the coal country of NC,VA,WV the mine trucks and the locals mount the tall ant. in the front instead of the rear. This is to get coverage to the front around the curvy roads. I have not had to do this yet but here is another opinion. As for ants. I have had great luck with the Wilson Ant. and as well with the Francis 6' rods. Tuning is done with the coax and not the ant. always trying to get the 1.1to1. I have used the Antron ant. for it's copper center. You have to be nasty to break that one. I guess your cold weather could break it. For the record if going into the woods for overnight I take my dye-pole made ant. and string it vert. or hors. I have been known to carry a small amount to helium and a balloon and fly this above the tree canopy. This was used in Viet Nam for communications. Using an Antron99 where you can break it down for travel and to bad. I had a whole bunch of neighbors who loved to use side band so I was always going to the woods and try to get home to talk. Most of the time I made the trip. I have witnesses on this. Here in Rocky Top Tennessee we got no telephone, no TV and no electric bills. Me coondogs use the tread mill for charging the batteries.

mancow

Database Admin
I have a 1995 YJ Sahara with an SGC HF antenna on a 3/8 L bracket mounted to the outside of the spare tire bumper bracket. The antenna is about 7 feet tall and it works great there. It's far enough to the right to clear the glass when lifted. I put a small plastic hook on the hard top near the corner of the passenger door to hook the antenna down in a fashion similar to what you see on military humvees. Even with the antenna folded I can still get fair performance.

cforgue95yj

I have a 1995 YJ Sahara with an SGC HF antenna on a 3/8 L bracket mounted to the outside of the spare tire bumper bracket. The antenna is about 7 feet tall and it works great there. It's far enough to the right to clear the glass when lifted. I put a small plastic hook on the hard top near the corner of the passenger door to hook the antenna down in a fashion similar to what you see on military humvees. Even with the antenna folded I can still get fair performance.

mancow,
would you be able help me find a whip antenna and mount like that? im looking for something like the ones mounted on the military humvees. not sure where to look.

Olmanrivah

Just browsing the Forum and came across this thread,

I've been running a 102" stainless steel whip with a bumper mount on my 1999 Jeep for years. Works great and in those instances when I need clearance, I simply fold it over to the adjacent tail light bracket.
My Jeep is a soft top and I don't like the spare tire mounts.

Status
Not open for further replies.