RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Topic Specific Forums > CB Radio Forum

CB Radio Forum Discussions regarding Citizens Band Radio (CB)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-03-2010, 5:15 PM

Default whip antennas

question for you guys. My Jeep had for a while a 4' fiberglass antenna mounted on the back spare tire, but it became a head ache opening and closing the door and glass, so we took it off. I'm looking at some whip antennas, basically some of the magnetic mounts with about 38" length. I see a lot of people tie down whip antennas so they don't stick straight up and wave around, is there much of a reception issue from having them straight up and tied down?
Sponsored links

Old 04-03-2010, 7:05 PM

Well for best reception you will need it straight up in the air .Most people tie them down like you say so it dont hit stuff when not in use .wolcottcb.com has some CB Antenna mounts for JEEPS you should take a look at .I mounted a CB antenna on my sons YJ on the spare tire mount but on the right side the part that mounts to the body
Old 04-03-2010, 7:07 PM

Would it look silly if I tie down a 38" whip?
Would it be risky tieing down a magnetic antenna? (don't want the megnetic base to pop off)
Old 04-03-2010, 9:26 PM

Default How about this

Obi, I had a YJ and it was hard to mount a ant. on the jeep. Here is what I did. I prefer and ant that is 8' and can B mounted off the drivers rear side taillight. I put the better L shape mount from any trucker store. I is heavy duty and can withstand some abuse. In my theory the top or ant. load needs to be above the jeep's top to get coverage to the front in a 360deg. And yes mounted to the rear will have a forward coverage since the ground will have more metal to the front. This is where I got a wilson 1000 in a 8' ant. If dealing with a garage use a 4' to 6' and has some flex to the tip. My 8' i used on the road and in the woods. I also carried the steel whip at 103". Use the 103" whip in the woods but if the receive is not as wanted then go to the 8' that is more rigid. Mounting your ant. on the left rear puts the ant on the side where the back roads have more clearance from trees. The right side will expose the ant to all the tree limbs along the way. If you have a light bar to deal with then mount it in the center and get receive in the 360deg. mode. I found a short ant. to mount there but the downside is if you have to carry canoes or kayaks that ant is in your way. I will say this for you that in the coal country of NC,VA,WV the mine trucks and the locals mount the tall ant. in the front instead of the rear. This is to get coverage to the front around the curvy roads. I have not had to do this yet but here is another opinion. As for ants. I have had great luck with the Wilson Ant. and as well with the Francis 6' rods. Tuning is done with the coax and not the ant. always trying to get the 1.1to1. I have used the Antron ant. for it's copper center. You have to be nasty to break that one. I guess your cold weather could break it. For the record if going into the woods for overnight I take my dye-pole made ant. and string it vert. or hors. I have been known to carry a small amount to helium and a balloon and fly this above the tree canopy. This was used in Viet Nam for communications. Using an Antron99 where you can break it down for travel and to bad. I had a whole bunch of neighbors who loved to use side band so I was always going to the woods and try to get home to talk. Most of the time I made the trip. I have witnesses on this. Here in Rocky Top Tennessee we got no telephone, no TV and no electric bills. Me coondogs use the tread mill for charging the batteries.
Old 04-03-2010, 9:31 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I have a 1995 YJ Sahara with an SGC HF antenna on a 3/8 L bracket mounted to the outside of the spare tire bumper bracket. The antenna is about 7 feet tall and it works great there. It's far enough to the right to clear the glass when lifted. I put a small plastic hook on the hard top near the corner of the passenger door to hook the antenna down in a fashion similar to what you see on military humvees. Even with the antenna folded I can still get fair performance.
Sponsored links
Old 01-05-2011, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mancow View Post
I have a 1995 YJ Sahara with an SGC HF antenna on a 3/8 L bracket mounted to the outside of the spare tire bumper bracket. The antenna is about 7 feet tall and it works great there. It's far enough to the right to clear the glass when lifted. I put a small plastic hook on the hard top near the corner of the passenger door to hook the antenna down in a fashion similar to what you see on military humvees. Even with the antenna folded I can still get fair performance.
mancow,
would you be able help me find a whip antenna and mount like that? im looking for something like the ones mounted on the military humvees. not sure where to look.
Old 04-27-2011, 12:25 PM

Just browsing the Forum and came across this thread,

I've been running a 102" stainless steel whip with a bumper mount on my 1999 Jeep for years. Works great and in those instances when I need clearance, I simply fold it over to the adjacent tail light bracket.
My Jeep is a soft top and I don't like the spare tire mounts.
Old 05-11-2011, 4:29 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Try a ball mount and spring on the fender with the 102 inch whip. you and bend it over or leave up!
Old 05-25-2011, 11:08 AM

This thread was originally from april of 2010, now that's funny.
Sponsored links