• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

wilson 1000 antenna Lightning Rod ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

aircatheavy

Hello,

Just got my Wilson 1000 Mag Mount Antenna today and after sticking on the roof of my minivan I stood back and thought....

hmmmmm.....nice lightning rod.

Is lightning a potential hazard with a 5ft metal whip antenna on top of your vehicle?

aircatheavy

From the National Lightning Safety Institute

Quote from the National Lightning Safety Institute......

What happens when lightning strikes a vehicle? The answer, gleaned from anecdotal observations, is all the way from "Nothing" to "Wow! What a mess . . . my car is a disaster."

Electrically speaking, at lightning's higher frequencies, currents are carried mostly on the outside of conducting objects. A thick copper wire or a hollow-wall metal pipe will carry most of the lightning on outer surfaces. This phenomenon is called "skin effect." The same holds true for lightning when it strikes metal vehicles: the outer surface carries most of the electricity. The persons inside this steel box can be likened to protected by a partial Faraday cage.

But, consistent with lightning's capricious nature, situations alter results. Is the car dry or wet? If the car is made of fiberglass (a poor conductor) or a convertible, skin effect principles may not work. (Corvette and Saturn owners, please note this fact.)

aircatheavy

When lightning strikes vehicles

I found this site where LOTS of people posted their experiences of having been struck by lightning while in their vehicles.

Apparently there are a few very common things that happen....

1). Most people report a very loud boom and see bright light (much more than usual)

2). Extensive vehicle damage is quite possible in cases of direct vehicle strikes.

What Happens When Lightning Strikes Your Car? | The UberReview

After reading all the information I could find here is my conclusion.....

It is probably a good idea to remove a tall, metal CB antenna from your car when in the vicinity of thunderstorms when possible.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.