• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Cobra LX LE 50 Year Anniversary Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

Speedkills

I just got this radio today @ The Walcott CB shop in Walcott IA.

Walcott CB - CB Radio, CB Radios, Antennas, Microphones, Mounts, Coax Cable, HAM, Amateur Radio - - Electronics Superstore www.WalcottCB.com

I had them install the large final peak and tune.

* Included with the Large Final Peak & Tune: Full transmit section realignment
* Full receive alignment
* Metering Alignment
* Squelch Alignment
* Antenna Warning Indicator (AWI) check and Alignment

The radio dead keyed @ 8 watts and transmitted 38 watts on the Bird Wattmeter.

Pros:
The radio performs amazingly compared to my other Cobra29LTD Classic. But what really stands out is the design. The display is great. The photo I posted is with the blue, and it is really to blue. The amber is perfect for day and night. The other features are nice. The audio sounds great.

Cons:
I do wish that the scan would give you a priority channel when scanning. I also would like to see it scan faster. The SWR to CAL does not work as described in the manual. But does give you a reading when you simply switch over to SWR and then key the mike. Talk Back volume control does not seem to work, but I'm still trying to figure that out. The radio displays a software version, but as far as I can see there is know way you could do a firmware update.

That might seem like more negative notes than positive ones but, I may not have figured out all of the bells and whistles yet. I will post and update after I get to play with the radio out on the road over the next few weeks. This radio has a very short run, and from what I read on Cobra's web site they only released 20,000 radios, so if you want one you better hop to it.

The radio features a completely redesigned, modern look with selectable display that can be programmed to red, green, blue or amber to match the instrument panel of the cab. The display also has customizable night and day settings to enhance readability in both bright and dark conditions. The large center scroll knob provides simple one-touch programming of the unit for easy setup and channel changes. The dynamic ergonomic microphone is redesigned for easy and comfortable use.

Based on the 29 LTD Classic platform with added features: The new weather receiver with scan automatically advances to the next clear channel when driving cross-country ensuring the driver is always getting the latest weather alerts and warnings. Also new is the industry’s first and only Radio Check Diagnostic. Now users can monitor the radio’s RF output, SWR setting, and vehicle battery voltage.

The 29 LX LE also includes all 40 channel scan and memory channel programming, Instant channel 9 and 19, audible key tones, channel frequency readout for CB and weather channels, 4 watts AM RF power output, the maximum amount of power allowed by law; Talk Back controls allowing drivers to adjust the desired amount of modulation talk-back.

Cobra 29LXLE Features

* 4-Color LCD Display
* 10 NOAA Weather Channels
* Emergency Weather Alert
* Talk Back
* Weather Alert Scan Automatically scans for the nearest weather alert signal.
* Radio Check Diagnostic
* Memory Channel Scan
* Memory Channels
* Selectable Key Tone
* Day / Night Dimmer Control
* SWR Calibration
* Channel Scan
* Auto Weather Scan
* Frequency Display
* 9 Foot Microphone Cord
* 4-Pin Front Microphone Connector
* Adjustable Dynamike Boost
* Tactile Controls
* PA Capability
* RF Gain
* Switchable Noise Blanker
* Dimmer Control Adjusts brightness of the front panel
* 4 Watts AM RF Power Output
* Antenna Warning Indicator
* Instant Channel 9 and 19.
* Delta Tune

Attachments

• Cobra29LXLE_50yr.jpg
    Cobra29LXLE_50yr.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 35,310

vdubb16

makes me think of something id see in the delorion in back to the future. i wouldnt mind one to flush mount in a vehicle. It would blend in with the newer vehicle style interiors rather than the typical radio sticking out like a sore thumb no matter how nice the install.

XTS3000

I fully tested the LX LE and the SWR meter worked perfectly. Went as far as purposly de-tuning an antenna to test the antenna warning indicator. Right at 3:1 SWR the SWR "FAIL".

The talkback is very weak sounding, placing a 1 cent resistor in the proper place corrects this problem, making the talkback fully adjustable from very low levels to very high levels.

I wouldn't let Wolcott CB shop rake my leaves, shovel my show, walk my dog. They are truly HACKS! The reason your SWR circuit isn't working properly is Wolcott put a "mod-kit" in your radio. This mod-kit reduces the AM carrier on the radio so low that the SWR Cal doesn't work anymore. Remember the AM carrier is your transmit distance, while the swing is how loud you are. Wolcott radios usually come with 1 watt carrier (factory sets carrier at 3.5 to 4 watts). The SWR calibration requires around 3 watts to calibrate properly. So in a nutshell, Wolcott radios are very loud over the air, but a stock untuned/stock radio will transmit farther then their "tuned" radios becasue they set the carrier so low.

Speedkills

I fully tested the LX LE and the SWR meter worked perfectly. Went as far as purposly de-tuning an antenna to test the antenna warning indicator. Right at 3:1 SWR the SWR "FAIL".

The talkback is very weak sounding, placing a 1 cent resistor in the proper place corrects this problem, making the talkback fully adjustable from very low levels to very high levels.

I wouldn't let Wolcott CB shop rake my leaves, shovel my show, walk my dog. They are truly HACKS! The reason your SWR circuit isn't working properly is Wolcott put a "mod-kit" in your radio. This mod-kit reduces the AM carrier on the radio so low that the SWR Cal doesn't work anymore. Remember the AM carrier is your transmit distance, while the swing is how loud you are. Wolcott radios usually come with 1 watt carrier (factory sets carrier at 3.5 to 4 watts). The SWR calibration requires around 3 watts to calibrate properly. So in a nutshell, Wolcott radios are very loud over the air, but a stock untuned/stock radio will transmit farther then their "tuned" radios becasue they set the carrier so low.

Wow. I thought that they seemed like they were very professional. In fact they put in a MOSFET IRF520 final and the radio dead keyed @ 8 watts and transmitted 38 watts on the bird meter. Never the less I had a good experience at Walcott CB. I have also checked the SWR meter with my PDC1 and it was really close. I'm sorry you had a bad experience from them.

The radio has performed flawlessly. I did figure out a few things that I thought you might be interested in. If you leave the radio on a certain channel and start scanning, as soon as you key up, you are transmitting on the channel you left the radio on. I also set up memory channels and scan those primarily. I leave the radio on channel 19, press scan twice to scan memory channels. If I see some thing that needs to be reported, as soon as I start transmitting, I’m back on 19. This does however stop you from scanning. I would like to see it start scanning again. It also would be nice if you could set a certain channel as a priority channel, so that any transmit ion from that channel interrupts scanning.

Speedkills

A message from Walcott CB

I wanted to follow up on what was posted about Walcott CB.

Here is their response:

Hi

First of all, thank you very much for both taking the time to post about your experience and for taking the opportunity to ask us for our feedback.

The person you're asking about in the forum listing is making unfounded claims, that are an absolute fabrication. Or at the very least he's propagating misinformation.

He suggests we install mod kits. We resoundingly do not. A mod kit is considered a type of radio hack, a cheap way to make the radio seem like it has improved performance without actually improving the performance. A "mod kit" typically consists of a resistor and a diode, sometimes they are installed in plastic containers and sold for a lot of money to give the appearance that it's doing something. This is absolutely not what we did to your radio, nor any other radio for that matter. You can test this by calling our store and ask any random employee that answers the phone if we install mod kits. You will get a universal "No" as a response. Alternatively I invite you to bring your radio to any reputable shop to verify that a mod kit has not been installed.

Furthermore, if a "mod kit" were installed in your radio, you would have a deadkey less than the radio has stock. Generally mod kits reduce the AM carrier, or deadkey to around 2 watts and increase the modulation slightly, generally around 20-25 watts. Your radio has an 8w deadkey with 35w modulation. These readings alone strongly suggest a mod kit was not installed.

As you noted, and as the service ticket included with your radio noted, we replaced the final transistor in the output section with a higher output transistor to increase the output power. The "final", in large final transistor, relates to it being the last transistor in the output section of the radio. It's the primary component that determines the output power of the radio. For lack of a better analogy, if your radio was a computer, we installed a bigger processor.

If my explanations are not in depth enough, please don't hesitate to call and speak with one of our technicians who can describe, in detail, exactly what work is included with the large final peak & tune.

I realize it is hard for you to tell what is going on and who to trust. I can only provide the following advice, if anyone makes any sort of claim, make them back it up with evidence. This is one of the reasons why we included a detailed service ticket with every radio we service. We want you to be as informed as possible.

Thanks again for taking the time to ask.

Best regards,

Jason
Walcott CB - CB Radio, CB Radios, Antennas, Microphones, Mounts, Coax Cable, HAM, Amateur Radio -

rckydenver

Wondering if you have any reviews on this radio yet? Stop at a TA and they have a few left at $139.Looks a nice CB with that display. Just wondering how yours is working out. Thanks.

Speedkills

Review update.

I have had the radio for over a month now and it is working awesome. I did notice one thing on the SWR that was a bit interesting. You should use a external SWR meter when setting up the radio. If you do not get the SWR adjusted properly the radio will give you a high reading.

Example:

I had did my initial install out in a very empty Iowa 80 Truck stop parking lot. I had just bought the PDC1 SWR meter and was not using it properly and the radios internal SWR was telling me that I was off. Human error. I even went out and bought a new FGT5 antenna thinking that would fix my problem. nope. The radio kept telling my I was off. Once I learned how to use the meter, the PDC1 was indicating that I was high on ch40 and low (1.5:1) in ch1. Once I got everything adjusted evenly to 1.2:1 The radio was happy and even showed that the SWR was even lower then what the PDC1 showed.

The radio really looks great, sounds great, and broadcasts even better. You should look around at the Love's and the Pilot's, I have seen them for $128.

Last edited:

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I wanted to follow up on what was posted about Walcott CB.

Here is their response:

Hi

First of all, thank you very much for both taking the time to post about your experience and for taking the opportunity to ask us for our feedback.

The person you're asking about in the forum listing is making unfounded claims, that are an absolute fabrication. Or at the very least he's propagating misinformation.

He suggests we install mod kits. We resoundingly do not. A mod kit is considered a type of radio hack, a cheap way to make the radio seem like it has improved performance without actually improving the performance. A "mod kit" typically consists of a resistor and a diode, sometimes they are installed in plastic containers and sold for a lot of money to give the appearance that it's doing something. This is absolutely not what we did to your radio, nor any other radio for that matter. You can test this by calling our store and ask any random employee that answers the phone if we install mod kits. You will get a universal "No" as a response. Alternatively I invite you to bring your radio to any reputable shop to verify that a mod kit has not been installed.

Furthermore, if a "mod kit" were installed in your radio, you would have a deadkey less than the radio has stock. Generally mod kits reduce the AM carrier, or deadkey to around 2 watts and increase the modulation slightly, generally around 20-25 watts. Your radio has an 8w deadkey with 35w modulation. These readings alone strongly suggest a mod kit was not installed.

As you noted, and as the service ticket included with your radio noted, we replaced the final transistor in the output section with a higher output transistor to increase the output power. The "final", in large final transistor, relates to it being the last transistor in the output section of the radio. It's the primary component that determines the output power of the radio. For lack of a better analogy, if your radio was a computer, we installed a bigger processor.

If my explanations are not in depth enough, please don't hesitate to call and speak with one of our technicians who can describe, in detail, exactly what work is included with the large final peak & tune.

I realize it is hard for you to tell what is going on and who to trust. I can only provide the following advice, if anyone makes any sort of claim, make them back it up with evidence. This is one of the reasons why we included a detailed service ticket with every radio we service. We want you to be as informed as possible.

Thanks again for taking the time to ask.

Best regards,

Jason
Walcott CB - CB Radio, CB Radios, Antennas, Microphones, Mounts, Coax Cable, HAM, Amateur Radio -

NICE!! :lol: Admitted documentation of an ILLEGAL modification? This is special. Imagine where this could go,considering walcott's chop shop is an actual business! :twisted:
n9zas

GoNavy

Premium Subscriber
Nice, no BT

Odd they didn't include the BlueTooth. My 29 has the BlueTooth, LOVE this feature, would,'t be without it now. Being able to use my CB to talk on the phone is great, and I never miss a call now. More and more states are making cell phone use illegal, but CB use is ok, no way to tell the difference with a BT CB. I use the mic for the phone talk, since it hangs near my head, don't even have to touch it. Came with a separate mic to mount on the visor, but didn't need it, you can use either. BT works flawlessly, I think one of the best features Cobra came out with, so a little disappointed it was not included in the 50th Anv. unit.

rckydenver

I have mine for two weeks now and getting good reports on it, that being moble. CB is kinda dead here in Denver seems like 19 is somewhat busy not much, Channel 20 a little there. There are some days someone gets on a cusses but not bad.

kc4jgc

NICE!! :lol: Admitted documentation of an ILLEGAL modification? This is special. Imagine where this could go,....

As I was reading the letter, I was thinking the exact same thing....

I see an FCC inspector coming to Iowa 80 soon....:lol:
I also see Jason not being happy with Speed afterwards for posting the letter!

Speedkills

Judging from the pic, I must ask this. Do you drive a Cascadia? If so, where did you mount the antenna for it?

I have a 2011 Cascadia. Last winter my stock antennas beat the hell out of the roof, like a drum. So, I built a bracket to fit on the passenger door. I have never found a use for the spotter mirror that is in that location. I ran a ground down to a hood fender bolt to make sure the bracket has a good ground and than ran 12ft of good quality coax to the radio. The antenna works good for being on the passenger side of the rig.

Speedkills

I do have a follow up on the radio. Still works awesome. The NOAA weather alert notification is scary loud. Just not the standard alert tones that you expect, but a 110db tone that will drive you out of the cab. I have tried to turn it off. I also have noticed that another frq. must be triggering the weather alert, after the tone, no weather warnings. Very odd. I will ask Cobra what is up with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.