RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Topic Specific Forums > CB Radio Forum

CB Radio Forum Discussions regarding Citizens Band Radio (CB)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-19-2010, 11:21 PM

Default retractable antenna

Wonder why no one has come up with a retractable CB antenna. Seems like it would sell....
Sponsored links

Old 11-20-2010, 12:57 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Probably not what you're talking about, but my Midland portable CB had a telescopic antenna when I got it in 1970. One issue was that it would quickly drop off full power if it wasn't fully extended when you transmitted. I also had a power AM/FM/CB antenna for my car that would raise up when you started the car and collapse down when you shut it off. This was in the mid-70s. It looked close to this one I found with a quick google search Automatic Triband Power Antenna AM / FM, CB
Old 11-20-2010, 9:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by n5ims View Post
Probably not what you're talking about, but my Midland portable CB had a telescopic antenna when I got it in 1970. One issue was that it would quickly drop off full power if it wasn't fully extended when you transmitted. I also had a power AM/FM/CB antenna for my car that would raise up when you started the car and collapse down when you shut it off. This was in the mid-70s. It looked close to this one I found with a quick google search Automatic Triband Power Antenna AM / FM, CB
That's more then I found, probably could wire it up to a switch as opposed to the ignition. Looking for something I could lower or fold back with a switch, to get into the garage, without having to get out of the car and take it off or fold back manually. My garage, like a lot of garages, is only about a foot (from the door) above my AV's roof. Knowing ME, maybe radio control switch to my garage remote, cause I know I'll forget....lol...I can see me knocking the antenna off pulling into the garage. Just trying to be proactive...lol
Old 11-20-2010, 7:56 PM

I've seen remotely controlled tilting devices for antennas. Never had a need for one so didn't keep track of them. If you're really serious about it (as in they are NOT cheap) I can try to find them again.
- 'Doc
Old 11-20-2010, 8:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoNavy View Post
That's more then I found, probably could wire it up to a switch as opposed to the ignition. Looking for something I could lower or fold back with a switch, to get into the garage, without having to get out of the car and take it off or fold back manually. My garage, like a lot of garages, is only about a foot (from the door) above my AV's roof. Knowing ME, maybe radio control switch to my garage remote, cause I know I'll forget....lol...I can see me knocking the antenna off pulling into the garage. Just trying to be proactive...lol
I just put a spring at the base of the antenna, never broke an antenna that way - although it sometimes sounded like everything was coming apart as the antenna hit a low overhang.
Sponsored links
Old 11-20-2010, 8:52 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Over the years there have been many retractable AM/FM/CB combo antennas that replace the stock AM/FM car antennas.
prcguy