RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog
 

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Topic Specific Forums > CB Radio Forum

CB Radio Forum Discussions regarding Citizens Band Radio (CB)

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #81 (permalink)  
Old 07-16-2012, 11:11 PM
Member
   
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Hudson, MI
Posts: 28
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by g6urm View Post
god this has been a discussion point ( well more like a war actually ) since before i became licenced near on 30 years ago

statement : i use amateur radio - i use cb - there are idiots in both camps - but the ones i hate most ?? are those who where on or started on cb and became all self richious when they got their ham ticket

further : as a now disabled person ( whitestick op ) i have found that of late the amateur bands have lost their charm to an extent - but then this is mearly a reflection of society - whilst CB is as friendly as ever - i monitor the bands (both ham and cb ) to pass the time of days filled with pain ( arthritus ) - i get called rarely on ham - i get responses rarely on ham to general calls (cq ) - on cb i get called - on cb - i only have to pick up the mike and not only are there people there to talk to - but offers of assistance if required - i DON'T get them on ham radio

(example ) - i am no longer allowed to drive owing to my eyesight - i have asked for 2 years running if anyone could offer a lift to a local ham rally ( a rally I started 28 years ago incidently ) - not ONE reply or offer - result taxi each way - cost 50 quid - wont be bothering next year

local cb event in planning - lots of offers of a lift to event and even an offer of a trailer to take my mobility scooter so i can get round the site

draw your own conclusions

this is simple folks - if you dont like / think you are too good for CB dont use it but PLEASE dont insult those who do - yes there are people who have shall we say poor operating standards - BUT the same can be said for many hams too ( you lot listened to a contest weekend of late ?? - tune for max smoke and sod the rest - call over dx station - etc etc - this is GOOD operating ?? ) - there are many ops as good as any ham op on 11 meters

so give it a rest - none of us are perfect - and none of us have the right to dictate to others - its a frigging HOBBY people - not a matter of life or death

YOU ALL HAVE AN OPTION - THE OFF SWITCH - OR THE DONT EVEN TURN IT ON SWICH

simples ( IMO as always - which never has counted for much .lol )
I agree...as my Dad would say, "there's bad apples in EVERY barrel"...:/
Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
  #82 (permalink)  
Old 07-16-2012, 11:20 PM
Member
   
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Hudson, MI
Posts: 28
Default

And why do I keep hearing French speakers on 11 meters (I assume-since I don't speak French-it's from Quebec)?? Is it because I'm in Michigan?? Not so much the Spanish speakers here...
Reply With Quote
  #83 (permalink)  
Old 07-17-2012, 10:56 AM
Member
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Near Lakeview, LA (Caddo Parish)
Posts: 427
Talking "The Old Man", LOL!

Well,

When I first got into Part 95, the Class D, Citizens Radio Service was October of 1962. My first callsign was 8Q-3224, which was an illegal call the F.C.C. had issued. The F.C.C. only has the right to issue "A", "K", "N", & "W" calls. The F.C.C. changed it to KKR-2747. It was issued to me for my two-way radio repair shop. I also appied for a "personal license", KOR-0528. I kep these licenses up until 1973, when my repair shop closed down an I went to work at the Western Electric Telephone Manufacturing plant in Shreveport.

I reapplyed in 1980 and was issued the call, KAMF-7712 (figure out the phonetics for that, LOL!) I used it for "personel use" until one Monday when I discovered someone had broken into my car and stole my Royce 602. It pushed me into becoming a ham radio operator, KA5LQJ, a call I've had for over some 30+ years. About the time I got my ham ticket (Technician) the F.C.C. quit issuing callsigns for CB.

On the ocassion I've had to use CB (for vacation) I carry both my all-band, all-mode Icom 706MarkII-G rig and a 40-channel ssb/am CB. I U]ONLY[/U] use the regular CB channels,simply because I don't want to lose my ham ticket by using a non-assigned frequency. Should you want to contact me, try 27.375 (lower 37) OR 28.365 mHz.

I'm NOT the frequency police, so don't expect me to turn you in unless you use excessive vulgarity or make yourself a "pest" with an echo chamber or
tweety bird, tone pager. Then, I have a Heathkit SB-220 HF amp that I can use to drop the maul on ya',

I do a LOT of DXing' on the ham, longwave, short-wave, regular Broadcast band (BCB) and Part 90, Public Safety bands. When the weather (wx) is bad, you'll more than likely find me on a Skywarn repeater, giving out a report of wx in my area.

BTW, I'm looking for Skywarn Groups in Paris, Fort Worth, Austin, TX; Fort Smith, Little Rock, and Pine Bluff, AR; Greenwood & Jackson, MS, Baton Rouge and Lake Charles, LA. to please contact me. I have "information" that will help you do a better job.

Well, Keep it 'tween the ditches and Smokey out of yore britches, 69 on yore girlfriends, 100 on yore boyfriends, Keep yore shiny side-up and yore dirty side down, This is the ONE, World-wide, Famous Steamboat and I'm heading this away <Air horn blast> <Air horn blast> Toodle de deaux.
__________________
6th Louisiana Cavalry, C.S.A.
The Caddo Lighthorse Brigade

Last edited by ka5lqj; 07-17-2012 at 10:59 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #84 (permalink)  
Old 07-17-2012, 7:43 PM
kb2vxa's Avatar
Completely Banned for the Greater Good
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Point Pleasant Beach, N.J.
Posts: 6,127
Default

"...so don't expect me to turn you in unless you use ... tone pager."

I'll bet that drove you nuts when you were first licensed, back in the days of toobz selective calling was fairly common eg: Polytronics' Poly Call. If you heard fire station tone outs you know what I mean.

"This is the ONE, World-wide, Famous Steamboat and I'm heading this away..."

Oh no, another one who takes 10 minutes without a comma to sign off. When I hear CQ CQ CQ de W6BIZ on the whistle cord I'll know it's you.

LOL is right, CB is fun but CBers are funnier (and I've heard them all since my KMD7606 days).

Last edited by kb2vxa; 09-18-2012 at 6:44 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #85 (permalink)  
Old 07-18-2012, 8:21 PM
Member
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Near Lakeview, LA (Caddo Parish)
Posts: 427
Default American "Mud Duck" numbers???

Some years back there was an American Mud Duck Net on 27.440. Friend of mine talked on it all the time, that is until the F.C.C. paid a visit to his houses. They took ALL of his illegal (Non type accepted), his Texas Star Linear amp (not ALL rf amps are linear) and all his antennas over 20 feet above the roof peak and left him a pink ticket for illegal operation.

Well, he moved about 25 miles South of town and bought a farm and got ham gear, learned cw and got his general Class license. From then on, he never went back to the CB band, but enjoyed talking on 17,12, & 10 meters.

"Hollis" talked for well over two years, and then had 2 massive strokes, which left him down and not wanting to live anymore. All of us tried to cheer him up, but he was determined in that Hospital room. He had another massive stroke, despite the meds he was on and passed away.

Hollis had an American Mud Duck #, but I don't remember what it was.

GOD BLESS,
73,

Buck/KA5LQJ
__________________
6th Louisiana Cavalry, C.S.A.
The Caddo Lighthorse Brigade
Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
  #86 (permalink)  
Old 07-18-2012, 9:13 PM
Member
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Evansville, IN
Posts: 101
Default

I am also blind, and I agree with you. I always want to chime in on behalf of cb when the ham/cb fight gets going in a forum, but what gets on my nerves is the ham who now says, "Yeah, I used to talk on the cb, but I got my ham license, so I could get away from all that. They all just use such horible language, and everybody's running illegal power, and bla bla bla."

I got my license, because I like radio. I've gotten more than just a little disappointed in the ham culture over the years, because of their self-righteousness. I'm a christion, and one thing Jesus dealt with time and time again were the feracies and their attitudes. He hates that kind of thinking.

I say ham culture, because not every ham is this way. If there's mean folks everywhere, that leaves one guarantee, there's nice folks everywhere too, but I have noticed one thing.

I wish I remember your call, I know it was g6 something, but you have made an observation about radio that I have made about life. The lower the class, the warmer the people, for the most part. Statisticly, it's the poor who give to charity. Go ahead and walk in to your local anything high class, maybe the yacht club, maybe the upscale restaurant, art gallary, whatever, and tell them casually that your house burnt down. If you ask for some help, you might find a few folks who would help you, but take the same story to your neighborhood bar, the little blue collar place. You won't have to ask for help. Somebody will most likely pass around a hat for you, and folks will start offering you their stuff. They'll ask if you need furnature, dishes. Someone will ask what size clothes you wear, because they want to see if they've got some that might fit you, and you'll drink free the rest of the night most likely.

I hate to profile groups, because there's folks with money that use cb, and there's hams on a fixed income like me, but I'm just talking about majorities here. Plus, it's not really about money, it's about class. I know a man who's retired now, but he used to be an arkitect. You wouldn't know it though. He didn't dress like a rich guy, he hunted, fished, camped, got his hands dirty with everybody else, and everything I say about good ol blue collar boys also applies to him, and he ain't the only one. He's simply an example. That's why you find someone to talk to on cb more often than the amateur bands.
Reply With Quote
  #87 (permalink)  
Old 07-19-2012, 1:36 PM
kb2vxa's Avatar
Completely Banned for the Greater Good
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Point Pleasant Beach, N.J.
Posts: 6,127
Default

That's interesting, I first heard "mud duck" on channel 18 as Black slang for one who has sex with his mother. (;->)
Reply With Quote
  #88 (permalink)  
Old 07-19-2012, 6:01 PM
Member
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Near Lakeview, LA (Caddo Parish)
Posts: 427
Default

KC9CRA..?

I'm going to send you a private message from my G-Mail account. We have a lot in common <chuckle> that we could talk about.

GOD BLESS,
73,

Don/KA5LQJ
Reply With Quote
  #89 (permalink)  
Old 07-19-2012, 7:06 PM
Member
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Near Lakeview, LA (Caddo Parish)
Posts: 427
Question Channel 19 - (27.185)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb2vxa View Post
That's interesting, I first heard "mud duck" on channel 18 as Black slang for one who has sex with his mother. (;->)

Well,
I see that the dis-cussion it fastly becoming Channel 19 and so it starts.

I came in here because I saw the mention of the "triple Nickle". I've never
operated below or above the designated channels of the Class D service.
I became a "Ham" because that was what I originally intended to do, but
not having anyone to "practice" with, it delayed my becoming a ham until
1980. I'm a general class now and I don't look down my nose at anyone
who becomes a ham, no-coder or not. This is a multi-faceted hobby, one
that you can just about do anything and enjoy despite others who think
their job is to make your LIFE miserable. There are LOTS of very intersting
folks out there if you just take the time with them.. So, enjoy the good
operators and just tune the YAHOO's out.

I still enjoy trying to catch a new BCB AM station that runs less than 5kW
at night, all the ham band frequencies, the Public Safety bands, and short-
wave listening.

I'm in no way a snob or elitist, I pity them. They go through LIFE never really enjoying themselves, What a shame.

GOD BLESS,
73,

Don/KA5LQJ
__________________
6th Louisiana Cavalry, C.S.A.
The Caddo Lighthorse Brigade
Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
  #90 (permalink)  
Old 07-20-2012, 4:32 PM
Member
   
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Hudson, MI
Posts: 28
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ka5lqj View Post
Well,
I see that the dis-cussion it fastly becoming Channel 19 and so it starts.

I came in here because I saw the mention of the "triple Nickle". I've never
operated below or above the designated channels of the Class D service.
I became a "Ham" because that was what I originally intended to do, but
not having anyone to "practice" with, it delayed my becoming a ham until
1980. I'm a general class now and I don't look down my nose at anyone
who becomes a ham, no-coder or not. This is a multi-faceted hobby, one
that you can just about do anything and enjoy despite others who think
their job is to make your LIFE miserable. There are LOTS of very intersting
folks out there if you just take the time with them.. So, enjoy the good
operators and just tune the YAHOO's out.

I still enjoy trying to catch a new BCB AM station that runs less than 5kW
at night, all the ham band frequencies, the Public Safety bands, and short-
wave listening.

I'm in no way a snob or elitist, I pity them. They go through LIFE never really enjoying themselves, What a shame.

GOD BLESS,
73,

Don/KA5LQJ
Proper attitude to have...
Reply With Quote
  #91 (permalink)  
Old 07-20-2012, 6:24 PM
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Florida!
Posts: 1,398
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by a2phil View Post
And why do I keep hearing French speakers on 11 meters (I assume-since I don't speak French-it's from Quebec)?? Is it because I'm in Michigan?? Not so much the Spanish speakers here...
Probably a local company or like you said skip coming in from Canada or some other countries.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #92 (permalink)  
Old 07-22-2012, 12:15 PM
Member
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Near Lakeview, LA (Caddo Parish)
Posts: 427
Question French Canadiens

Well,
If they were French Canadiens, I could halfway understand those Cannucks.
I'm half Acadian French (Cajun). Mother's people came from Acadie when
the damn British ran them out of Nova Scotia. They settled in Avoyelles
Parish and they were Couvilions.

We have 'mud ducks' in Louisiana, so Warren you're wrong about your definition. Down here the bird is known by Pool-deaux or the "N-word Geese".
Their diet consist mainly of dead fish and they really 'stink' if you try to clean
one, they even taste worse when you cook one, .

Let's keep the "conversation" on the up-&-up, please. I never used the full
name of the bird, it's what black folks call them, They even call each other
that but it's NOT ok for us to mention the "N-word" when describing the bird. Just like Native American women being called "squaw", it's a French word ,meaning prostitute. You wouldn't want your wife being
called one. Well enuff for todays talk about words.

For those who can remember, I have an unassembled, Hy-Gain CLR-II 5/8ths wave CB antenna. When I put it up, it will be adjusted for 29.0 to
29.90 the AM & FM portion of 10 meters. I should do well with it.

GOD BLESS,
73,
Don/KA5LQJ
__________________
6th Louisiana Cavalry, C.S.A.
The Caddo Lighthorse Brigade
Reply With Quote
  #93 (permalink)  
Old 07-22-2012, 11:23 PM
kb2vxa's Avatar
Completely Banned for the Greater Good
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Point Pleasant Beach, N.J.
Posts: 6,127
Default

There's a lot of miles between Loosiana and New Jersey where we don't speak Cajun Patois and you say I'm wrong? Sorry OM but if you heard on the air how "mud duck" was used up here you wouldn't say my ears lied. Speaking of ducks, why is a gooey duck not a duck?
Reply With Quote
  #94 (permalink)  
Old 07-23-2012, 10:17 AM
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Mojave Desert, California, USA
Posts: 1,394
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb2vxa View Post
Sorry OM but if you heard on the air how "mud duck" was used up here you wouldn't say my ears lied.
People use different slang for different things in different locations. However, I am pretty sure we are in a CB forum here and "mud duck" has been in use by the majority of the CB world for decades to mean a weak station. I have heard the term used in Europe, Australia, Canada, Mexico, the US, and South America all to describe, on the air, a weak or hard to hear station. I think the first time I heard the use of the term for such was in the late 60's or early 70's. And I have a "CB Dictionary" from the 70's that also defines it as a weak station.

T!
Reply With Quote
  #95 (permalink)  
Old 07-23-2012, 12:26 PM
Member
   
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: SC Low Country
Posts: 162
Default

See also: "Stuck in the mud".

In my travels across the US in the last 38 years 'stuck in the mud' was the term used for a weak or unreadable station.

However, what does this have to do with the op question on 27.555?
__________________
RS Pro-164, Moto HT1000/UHF, 2xRS HTX202, Yaesu FT23R, RS Pro60, Sporty's JD100, 2x KW TK-250, RS 427, Uniden PC122X, Icom M55.
IF I HAD MORE EARS, I'D NEED MORE RADIOS!!!!
Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
  #96 (permalink)  
Old 07-27-2012, 11:45 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: plymouth (uk )
Posts: 4
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc9cra View Post
I am also blind, and I agree with you. I always want to chime in on behalf of cb when the ham/cb fight gets going in a forum, but what gets on my nerves is the ham who now says, "Yeah, I used to talk on the cb, but I got my ham license, so I could get away from all that. They all just use such horible language, and everybody's running illegal power, and bla bla bla."

I got my license, because I like radio. I've gotten more than just a little disappointed in the ham culture over the years, because of their self-righteousness. I'm a christion, and one thing Jesus dealt with time and time again were the feracies and their attitudes. He hates that kind of thinking.

I say ham culture, because not every ham is this way. If there's mean folks everywhere, that leaves one guarantee, there's nice folks everywhere too, but I have noticed one thing.

I wish I remember your call, I know it was g6 something, but you have made an observation about radio that I have made about life. The lower the class, the warmer the people, for the most part. Statisticly, it's the poor who give to charity. Go ahead and walk in to your local anything high class, maybe the yacht club, maybe the upscale restaurant, art gallary, whatever, and tell them casually that your house burnt down. If you ask for some help, you might find a few folks who would help you, but take the same story to your neighborhood bar, the little blue collar place. You won't have to ask for help. Somebody will most likely pass around a hat for you, and folks will start offering you their stuff. They'll ask if you need furnature, dishes. Someone will ask what size clothes you wear, because they want to see if they've got some that might fit you, and you'll drink free the rest of the night most likely.

I hate to profile groups, because there's folks with money that use cb, and there's hams on a fixed income like me, but I'm just talking about majorities here. Plus, it's not really about money, it's about class. I know a man who's retired now, but he used to be an arkitect. You wouldn't know it though. He didn't dress like a rich guy, he hunted, fished, camped, got his hands dirty with everybody else, and everything I say about good ol blue collar boys also applies to him, and he ain't the only one. He's simply an example. That's why you find someone to talk to on cb more often than the amateur bands.
hi yes it is G6URM - a well observerd comment - we have a bunch of guys here in plymouth ( uk ) that operate cb AND most of them have or are taking their ham exam ( either foundation or intermediate ) - salt of the earth types including another ham who has years of experiance like myself - who ALSO holds the viewpoint that it is very friendly down here

both of us try and help the lads with advice - and practical help , only yesterday one visited me as he was having problems fitting an N type connector - now some will say "WHAT ?? " - but bare in mind we ALL had to learn the skill of fitting these multi part plugs - i had to go to another ham the first time i did so for advice - never any shame in admitting you DON'T know how to do something

as he was interested in the hobby i furnished him with a book on vhf /uhf and had knocked up a DF loop so he could find a local interfering signal thats been plaguing him - + an adaptor he was short of , in short we here in this part of the uk try and HELP others interested in radio ( be it ham or cb ) to better their knowlage and stations - instead of critisising them because they dont have a ham licence / use cb

but as this chap observed and i know - its not often you get any help these days without someone wanting something in return - as i have observed in my last post - want a lift ?? - yea go whistle if you ask the ham community round here - but these guys ?? - do anything for you

and personally i would rather help a dozen - willing to learn cb'ers than one "i know it all - cb users are all ( add derogatory comment here ) " HAM as demonstrated by some of the comments on this thread

again its all very simples - cb is just THAT a citizens band - its not a ham band - its not a requirement to have technical knowlege - and like society in general - there are all sorts on there - good and bad - but at least the cb boys ( and girls ) don't have some of the pretentions some hams do

makes me laugh actually - some hams bemoan cb - and yet for a LOT of the time 28 mhz is as dead as a dodo - and yet the band is actually OPEN - i have spent time calling cq up there and got no where - it is NOT on the whole used for more local comms on fm - and of course its of no use when the sun spotcycle is not near max - oh yea ?? - well how is it that here in this part of the world one could find intenational sigals on 27 when 28 was supposedly "dead " even during the last low point ??

any ways - as i have opined before if you don't like cb - then dont use it - after all no one is forcing you to - any more than they are forcing you to use the ham frequencies

simples

( as always this is a personal opinion based on my experiances - and is offered in the spirit of general discussion - please accept it for what it is - an opinion - nothing more )

de G6URM ( who also uses that cb stuff .lol )
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 1:41 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
All information here is Copyright 2012 by RadioReference.com LLC and Lindsay C. Blanton III.Ad Management by RedTyger
Copyright 2011 by RadioReference.com LLC Privacy Policy  |  Terms and Conditions