• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

FrankJ

Is this still the International Calling Frequency?

Been a lot of CB skip lately, but haven't heard anything on this channel.

riccom

Upstate S.C.
Premium Subscriber
Is this still the International Calling Frequency?

Been a lot of CB skip lately, but haven't heard anything on this channel.

Ahh the old triple nickel freq, yeah it is but its been overtaken by the illegal cb users, and well its pretty much usless now!

JeremyB

Who actually has control of the frequency? 27.555 is not a cb frequency. If its anywhere near a federal govt freq, it would be wise to stay clear

Token

Ahh the old triple nickel freq, yeah it is but its been overtaken by the illegal cb users, and well its pretty much usless now!

lol...I find that pretty funny, as pretty much everyone who ever talked there was "an illegal CB user". So, how is that different from today? Every cycle people forget what it was like last cycle, and bemoan the fact that "it ain't like it used to be". None of the previous was meant to be belittling or condescending, if it came across that way it was unintentional, I was just stating something I have seen cycle after cycle.

T!

CQDX11

27.555 is still the international calling frequency. Prop was dead for many years and finally seems to be coming back. The good news is that 90% of the morons that caused trouble on the frequency are gone. Spoke with Tahiti the other day. Nice 5 minute QSO with a really good signal.

n1iic

Geek
Why not? 10 and 6 are the magic bands!

@JeremyB while there are many allocations either side of CB, above and below the band has been used for decades by 'illegal' CB'ers freebanding.
Isn't it only illegal if you get caught? =]

Last edited:

CQDX11

Spoke with Tahiti....on that frequency?

Yes, I have spoken to over 200 countries on 11 Meters. Oliver is quite active. Heard him again today looking for stations is Europe. His call sign is 201AT101

201at101%20oliver.jpg

TroyLynx

I used 27.525 AM for the better part of the 80s and early 90s. called me CJ69. If you can listen from 27.535 to 27.755 LSB side very early in the morning when the Gray Line starts you can QSO with alot of the the Islands and South America.

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Do you REALLY think endorsement of illegal activities is a good idea? Have you ever considered such would be dragging the so far good name of RR down through the mud? Personally I think certain discussions are fine but giving praise and endorsement is where I draw the line, that's why I keep some of my "CB war stories" to myself.

n1iic

Geek
At no time did I say turn on your radio to an illegal frequency and transmit, or use it on a legal frequency and cause intentional interference. It could even be an SWL report.

Thank you for your attention to this matter, though.

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
Isn't it only illegal if you get caught?

Not. But that is the common thought today. I guess that is why people commit murder and and only feel it is illegal if they get caught. But CB has gone to the manure pile since the good days of the 1960s when one could have a decent conversation with family and friends without hearing the vulgar language that overtook CB. If you enjoy, use it but it is still illegal whether one is caught or not. After all, everyone that hears you knows!

freqs

How many members here speed thats a crime While illegal its not a violent crime same as freeband Illegal and a crime . I would bet most members do illegal things everday with or without knowing ,Ive been into CB since I was a kid in the 70's it has gone to hell I still use CB at work.From what I hear on the CB nobody is running anything legal . Echo Chmbers. Amps Freeband.Noise Toys .I dont condone illegal activity so dont key up as mentioned over and over .But illeagl or not its there and people want to know so thats why this site is here for info and talk about the subject .But practice what ya preach in a area's of life Illegal use of radios speeding j - walking swearing in public. murder illegal rite turns on red .

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
"At no time did I say turn on your radio to an illegal frequency and transmit, or use it on a legal frequency and cause intentional interference."

However you did say this which could be taken as endorsement:
"I think some more freeband stories would be great!"
"Freeband stories" often smack of making contact which naturally involve transmitting.

"It could even be an SWL report."
That would be a better way of putting it, however a CB set being a transceiver nobody's really going to use one as an SWL receiver. Are you guys getting my point?

"I would bet most members do illegal things everday with or without knowing..."
You win that bet hands down! I was licensed as KMD7606 in June 1965 and from a few months prior I operated as a unit under an uncle's license KKD9035 which is in itself illegal unless I was talking to him related to his business or personal communications. There's a sticking point under the rules which among several others are illegal even today because while licensing requirement was dropped the rules have not changed. Simply put, if all the rules were followed CB wouldn't even resemble what it has been for the most part all along, a hobby band. Yup, that's the stickiest one of all, hobby use is illegal and so are "noisemakers" to attract attention.

Heh, it didn't take long for me to build a "gooney bird" oscillator and wire in my tape deck as an echo chamber (not for everyday use mind you) so I'm not Little Mister Innocent either. The point I'm getting at here is before the band went to hell in a hand basket the FCC monitoring stations tended to ignore everyday violations and concentrate on "shooting skip" and other far more serious ones like foul language and deliberate interference. The only real trouble we had was with a local resident Field Engineer who had some sort of personal quest going on and the "pink slips" flew thick and fast until a storm of complaints finally put an end to him but that's a story in itself.

"But illeagl or not its there and people want to know so thats why this site is here for info and talk about the subject."
I've seen your point long before you made it and have made mine in several ways before, putting it all together we get to the well known phrase "it's not what you say but how you say it". Because everyone and every situation is different all I can do is outline it, when it comes to what is posted it is left to your discretion guys, be discreet about things that you say. In this way we won't drag Radio Reference through the mud as has become of many once great CB and other radio related publications I gave up on in disgust.

"But practice what ya preach in a area's of life Illegal use of radios speeding j - walking swearing in public. murder illegal rite turns on red."
Care to untangle that mess? (;->)

zz0468

QRT
Banned
"But practice what ya preach in a area's of life Illegal use of radios speeding j - walking swearing in public. murder illegal rite turns on red."

Care to untangle that mess? (;->)

LOL... I don't always agree with you Warren, but I always find you entertaining.

reedeb

I'm not sure I understand... You say an illegal frequency has been overtaken by illegal users?

In the US, ANYTHING under 26.965 and over 27.405 is considered illegal to use. Hence it is an illegal frequency and the folks on them are doing so with illegally modified radios and are illegal to talk on them

smason

In the US, ANYTHING under 26.965 and over 27.405 is considered illegal to use. Hence it is an illegal frequency and the folks on them are doing so with illegally modified radios and are illegal to talk on them

Yes, I get that. :)
My question was why the person I quoted thinks it's "useless now, as it's been taken over by illegal operators" as opposed to what?

Status
Not open for further replies.