RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial, Professional Radio and Personal Radio > CB Radio Forum

CB Radio Forum - Discussions regarding Citizens Band Radio (CB)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-26-2011, 11:50 AM

Default need CB advise

I am going to buy a CB for my truck, drive alot on the highways.
I would really like a high quality CB radio that recieves/transmits over far distances.

Many people are telling me to buy a ham and do a mod. Not sure about that, but if it is an option, also please give me your advise.

Any suggestions?

Thank you!
Sponsored links
Old 03-26-2011, 12:12 PM

You will get alot of people telling you not to buy a radio like that .They are illegal .
I have a Cobra 148 and a Wilson 1000 mag mount Antenna and do real well on trips and around town.
Old 03-26-2011, 5:40 PM

What people are telling you is to buy a 10 meter radio and do a conversion so that it works on the 11 meter D band.

Is this illegal?
-Technically yes, because you need an amateur radio license to transmit on the 10 meter bands.

PM me if you want more details on using 10 meter radios.
Old 03-27-2011, 10:43 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I am a licensed ham operator, and will say that for in general cb radio is dead, but for truck drivers it is still alive & kicking. I wouldn't risk the 10 meter conversion, as it is very risky, but I would recommend going & getting your general or extra class ham license and getting an HF mobile, than you can talk all over the world right from the cab of your truck.
Old 03-27-2011, 11:39 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by acepilot340 View Post
What people are telling you is to buy a 10 meter radio and do a conversion so that it works on the 11 meter D band.

Is this illegal?
-Technically yes, because you need an amateur radio license to transmit on the 10 meter bands.

No technically about it!! IT IS ILLEGAL pure and simple even with a ham licence!! Modify a CB OR a 10 meter rig makes it illegal!!!

Simply get a CB and a good antenna and call it good.
Sponsored links
Old 03-27-2011, 12:06 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by reedeb View Post
No technically about it!! IT IS ILLEGAL pure and simple even with a ham licence!! Modify a CB OR a 10 meter rig makes it illegal!!!

Simply get a CB and a good antenna and call it good.
Absolute truth, but the FCC has washed its hands of CB radio it seems like. The FCC rules state the max limit is 4 watts on AM & 11 watts SSB I believe, but CB seems to be nothing but everyone talking all over each other and using illegal high power amplifiers. The reason you hear people from far is they are using enough power to create skip. The only time the FCC steps in is if they hear of constant interference on the 10 & 12 meter bands. There has been a lot more people getting busted with these illegal rigs that can transmit 50+ watts on CB bands. Sad thing is, you can go on ebay and buy them cheap. If you want more legal power, get your ham license. As a ham, you can run up to 1,500 watts of power. You can run a 200 or 400 watt amp on 2 meters or 70cm and hit repeaters easily about 100 miles away, and more in higher elevations.
Old 03-27-2011, 12:40 PM

All good advise. Thank you!

The radio reference forum has been a great help in my scanner hobby and now CB.
I am giving some thought to getting my ham licence and will get the cobra 148, as mentioned above.

For now, lets see what happens and if I enjoy it.

Thanks again.
Old 03-27-2011, 12:44 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulca View Post
All good advise. Thank you!

The radio reference forum has been a great help in my scanner hobby and now CB.
I am giving some thought to getting my ham licence and will get the cobra 148, as mentioned above.

For now, lets see what happens and if I enjoy it.

Thanks again.
Hope you do get your license! You can get it with a week of study time. I got my tech license in April 2010, a d upgraded to general in october. Currently studying for my Extra, but Tech is a great start to talk locally on 2 meters, 70cm & 6 meters.
Old 03-27-2011, 2:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdailey1981 View Post
I am a licensed ham operator, and will say that for in general cb radio is dead, but for truck drivers it is still alive & kicking. I wouldn't risk the 10 meter conversion, as it is very risky, but I would recommend going & getting your general or extra class ham license and getting an HF mobile, than you can talk all over the world right from the cab of your truck.
CB is still alive in the Detroit area but it aint great durring the day its all trash talk but at nite it will let up and you can find some people that talk normal theres is about 3 - 4 channels that are real active all the time .We do have alot of freebanders
Old 03-27-2011, 5:50 PM
Completely Banned for the Greater Good
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

"The reason you hear people from far is they are using enough power to create skip."

Gee, I learn something new ever day, and I thought "skip" was ionospheric sky wave propagation. (;->)

Last edited by kb2vxa; 12-03-2011 at 8:59 PM..
Old 03-28-2011, 10:19 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb2vxa View Post
"The reason you hear people from far is they are using enough power to create skip."

Gee, I learn something new ever day, and I thought "skip" was ionospheric sky wave propagation. (;->)
You mean it was a fluke back in the 90's when I talked with folks from Austrailia when I lived in Maine using a simple Rad Shack CB [untouched ]and 102 " steel whip?
Old 03-28-2011, 10:25 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Well, if you are familiar with CB, you know about the "super bowl" which is where a bunch of people with amps meet up on channel 6. I remember in Indiana, we used to sit in the driveway and listen to people all over from Florida, Mexico & a few countries in Europe
Old 03-29-2011, 5:26 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
You mean it was a fluke back in the 90's when I talked with folks from Austrailia when I lived in Maine using a simple Rad Shack CB [untouched ]and 102 " steel whip?
No. Assuming by "untouched" you mean unmodified 4w am or 12w ssb it may have not been a fluke at all. I think you are misunderstanding Warren. What he was commenting on was the following incorrect statement by JDailey1981.
Quote:
The reason you hear people from far is they are using enough power to create skip.
Fact is, if the maximum usable frequency is less than 27 MHz, one can transmit megawatts, but will still only be heard line of sight. The skywave will be absorbed by the ionosphere. once the MUF reaches 27-28 MHz, THAT is when the skywave for 11 & 10 meters will reflect off the ionosphere back to earth. In the "skip zone" (the range between the end of a station's ground wave and where its signal returns to earth via skywave) that station is still not heard.

I once worked a station in New Zealand on 11m ssb on 12 watts in the mid '80's. It was so brief I heard the CQ, replied, copied name and location and was GONE in less than a minute at 0300 local. Since getting my ham ticket in 1989 I have worked Austrailia with 50 watts and Japan on 25 watts on 10m ssb. These were worked during the height of the solar cycle (cycle 22, I believe) which depending on when in the '90's you worked that aussie station would coincide. I would even hazard to guess that you may have "grey line" propagation helping you out a bit. Grey line is the enhanced propagation along the terminator between night and day.

Hope that clears things up for you.
Old 03-29-2011, 11:06 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc4jgc View Post
No. Assuming by "untouched" you mean unmodified 4w am or 12w ssb it may have not been a fluke at all. I think you are misunderstanding Warren. What he was commenting on was the following incorrect statement by JDailey1981. Fact is, if the maximum usable frequency is less than 27 MHz, one can transmit megawatts, but will still only be heard line of sight. The skywave will be absorbed by the ionosphere. once the MUF reaches 27-28 MHz, THAT is when the skywave for 11 & 10 meters will reflect off the ionosphere back to earth. In the "skip zone" (the range between the end of a station's ground wave and where its signal returns to earth via skywave) that station is still not heard.

I once worked a station in New Zealand on 11m ssb on 12 watts in the mid '80's. It was so brief I heard the CQ, replied, copied name and location and was GONE in less than a minute at 0300 local. Since getting my ham ticket in 1989 I have worked Austrailia with 50 watts and Japan on 25 watts on 10m ssb. These were worked during the height of the solar cycle (cycle 22, I believe) which depending on when in the '90's you worked that aussie station would coincide. I would even hazard to guess that you may have "grey line" propagation helping you out a bit. Grey line is the enhanced propagation along the terminator between night and day.

Hope that clears things up for you.

I was being sarcastic [no scarcasm icon] and joking a bit with Jason
Old 03-29-2011, 5:01 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Thanks guys, after getting the giggles from the posts following mine I decided to stir the pot a bit. There is one transmitting station powerful enough to create its own skip... name it.
Old 03-29-2011, 6:14 PM

Talking Galaxy

If you can buy a Galaxy pretty much any older model with a 3600 board , clip the modulation and do a pnp mod it will key low watts and swing like you wouldn't believe! all the hams are going to sling sh** at me but screww them I have been doing it for years. my 13 yr old galaxy has been running strong without burning the final and all the other BS they tell you will happen. I would NOT even think twice about keying it up with no anntenna hooked to it without it burning up. on a scope yeah it looks bad but can you honestly tell I'm over modulated NO!!!!!!! stay off the CB thread if you don't like what CB users do stick to your ham threads don't feed us your BS!!!!!!!
Old 03-30-2011, 3:47 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by 365newi View Post
if you can buy a galaxy pretty much any older model with a 3600 board , clip the modulation and do a pnp mod it will key low watts and swing like you wouldn't believe! All the hams are going to sling sh** at me but screww them i have been doing it for years. My 13 yr old galaxy has been running strong without burning the final and all the other bs they tell you will happen. I would not even think twice about keying it up with no anntenna hooked to it without it burning up. On a scope yeah it looks bad but can you honestly tell i'm over modulated no!!!!!!! Stay off the cb thread if you don't like what cb users do stick to your ham threads don't feed us your bs!!!!!!!
Wow!! Somebody must have tweeked you real bad. Mr Big Bad CBer lemme guess you gotta a REAL radio, right? [I used to hear that all the time from the big bad boys]
Old 03-30-2011, 4:38 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Wow!! Somebody must have tweeked you real bad. Mr Big Bad CBer lemme guess you gotta a REAL radio, right? [I used to hear that all the time from the big bad boys]
Tear into him! Lol, chances are he isn't even smart enough to pass the test so he is stuck on CB. He isn't a moderator, so can kiss it where the sun don't shine, cause maybe we like decent conversation with decent CBers, not some redneck trash talker. I personally don't give a rats a** what his bag bad Galaxy can do, cause my ht with the standard antenna can blow his pos out of the water. I don't care how long he has been doing it either. He can have his 40 channels, we will enjoy many different bands, and modes we have. Guess he probably feels better trying to act bada** in a forum, cause he is used to talking smack behind a mic
Old 03-30-2011, 11:12 AM

Buy a RCI2950 and have someone peak it to 25 watts. Buy a good noise cancelling amp'd mic. You'll have a good CB and 10 meter radio if you decide to go ham.

Last edited by CapnJon; 03-30-2011 at 11:15 AM..
Old 03-30-2011, 1:33 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

OK now simmer down and answer my question. Since it slipped your minds with all those brickbats flying I'll remind you; name the transmitting station powerful enough to create its own skip.

"If ye make me moderator I'll kill th' lot o' ye an' burn yer town ta cinders!"

Last edited by kb2vxa; 12-03-2011 at 8:59 PM..