• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Superscope not so super

Status
Not open for further replies.

truenorth

Hi there, new member looking for a little advice.

Many years ago I was given a Superscope AirCommand CB radio. I recently dug it out and was toying with the idea of installing it in my truck.

I bought an antenna, hooked it all up, and nothing. I have power in the device, the dial lights up. If I crank up the volume to the max, I hear faint static, but thats it.

What should I be looking into to try and get this thing working? I've tried hooking up external speakers, and I hear the faint static just the same.

Any advice?

KG4INW

Premium Subscriber
Hmm, first, is the squelch up? Just turn it all the way down if it is. Other than that, I'm not sure.

truenorth

Squelch down (and up) doesnt change much. Oh, well, maybe the radio is just toast. I think I'll start looking for another unit.

Thanks anyways.

methusaleh

How is the SWR on the antenna? Is it properly grounded?

Also check the mic wires for continuity, and the pins if possible.

SCPD

QRT
could be a bad mic wire, wiggle the mic cord near the mic and see if the static comes up, some radio's use a circut through the mic switch to tx and rx

DionW

Premium Subscriber
I know this is an old thread but I am having the same issues with an old Superscope Aircommand CB-640 that I picked up off of craigslist for $25.00. The radio seems to be in mint condition but for some reason it will not transmit or receive anything. All I get is some faint static noise and that's it. Do any of you guys have any suggestions?

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
If you have a known to be working antenna connected and it sounds like there is no antenna look inside for a broken connection. If at first you don't succeed use a bigger hammer. If all else fails dynamite works.

nonperson

I know this is an old thread but I am having the same issues with an old Superscope Aircommand CB-640 that I picked up off of craigslist for $25.00. The radio seems to be in mint condition but for some reason it will not transmit or receive anything. All I get is some faint static noise and that's it. Do any of you guys have any suggestions?

What do you have the switches / controls set on? Have you tested your antenna? I apologize if you knew enough to try that all ready.

DionW

Premium Subscriber
If you have a known to be working antenna connected and it sounds like there is no antenna look inside for a broken connection. If at first you don't succeed use a bigger hammer. If all else fails dynamite works.

lol...Yeah I haven't cracked the case yet but I guess that's going to be next.

DionW

Premium Subscriber
What do you have the switches / controls set on? Have you tested your antenna? I apologize if you knew enough to try that all ready.

No need to apologize, I'm open to any and all suggestions. I have two other CB radios that the antenna(K40) works great on. I've tried the switches on every possible configuration and still nothing but static. Guess I'll have to crack it open this weekend and see what's up.

hueyparker

No need to apologize, I'm open to any and all suggestions. I have two other CB radios that the antenna(K40) works great on. I've tried the switches on every possible configuration and still nothing but static. Guess I'll have to crack it open this weekend and see what's up.

Hi Dion, any update on this? I recently came upon a 640 with the same problem: no transmission although when I key up with another working CB nearby on the same channel, the other will go silent but no voice is received.

Inquietude

HI,
The Superscope radios are full of cold solder joints, particularly around the PLL system. I have encountered two radios so far. A 140 belonged to a friend--he got it free--and a 640--I got that one free myself. They both did the same thing: no rx/tx, or acting completely bananas; push on the pc board near the pll chip and it cleared up. I haven't fixed the 140 yet but I did get my 640 going. In this case I reflowed several cold joints just because they were so terrible. Had to help but didn't solve the problem. Then noticed that some channels worked, some worked but were wrong, and others completely bonkers (not locking). The service manual is online at CBTricks (what a gift) and I compared my radio's behavior to the binary programming chart for the pll. Discovered that bits 5 and 6 must have been stuck at "1". Reflowed the joints that provided power to the chip that interrupted the data between the channel selector and the pll chip and it worked. Incidentally, there are four chips added at that point because of the channel 9 scan function.
I would suggest if you really feel motivated to fix the unusual rare Superscopes check for bad solder joints where the circuit is failing. PLL will stop rx/tx function. Also, the mic cord was shot, adding to the problem. Good luck. It is a pretty cool radio once working. Mine was in good condition so it was worth the effort to fix/learn.

Status
Not open for further replies.