RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Topic Specific Forums > CB Radio Forum

CB Radio Forum Discussions regarding Citizens Band Radio (CB)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-08-2011, 3:56 PM

Default Superscope not so super

Hi there, new member looking for a little advice.

Many years ago I was given a Superscope AirCommand CB radio. I recently dug it out and was toying with the idea of installing it in my truck.

I bought an antenna, hooked it all up, and nothing. I have power in the device, the dial lights up. If I crank up the volume to the max, I hear faint static, but thats it.

What should I be looking into to try and get this thing working? I've tried hooking up external speakers, and I hear the faint static just the same.

Any advice?
Sponsored links
Old 04-08-2011, 6:37 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Hmm, first, is the squelch up? Just turn it all the way down if it is. Other than that, I'm not sure.
Old 04-09-2011, 11:36 AM

Squelch down (and up) doesnt change much. Oh, well, maybe the radio is just toast. I think I'll start looking for another unit.

Thanks anyways.
Old 04-09-2011, 9:05 PM

How is the SWR on the antenna? Is it properly grounded?

Also check the mic wires for continuity, and the pins if possible.
Old 04-09-2011, 9:09 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

could be a bad mic wire, wiggle the mic cord near the mic and see if the static comes up, some radio's use a circut through the mic switch to tx and rx
Kenwood TM-281
Sponsored links
Old 05-08-2012, 4:57 AM

I know this is an old thread but I am having the same issues with an old Superscope Aircommand CB-640 that I picked up off of craigslist for $25.00. The radio seems to be in mint condition but for some reason it will not transmit or receive anything. All I get is some faint static noise and that's it. Do any of you guys have any suggestions?
Old 05-08-2012, 10:05 AM
Completely Banned for the Greater Good
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

If you have a known to be working antenna connected and it sounds like there is no antenna look inside for a broken connection. If at first you don't succeed use a bigger hammer. If all else fails dynamite works.
Old 05-08-2012, 6:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DionW View Post
I know this is an old thread but I am having the same issues with an old Superscope Aircommand CB-640 that I picked up off of craigslist for $25.00. The radio seems to be in mint condition but for some reason it will not transmit or receive anything. All I get is some faint static noise and that's it. Do any of you guys have any suggestions?
What do you have the switches / controls set on? Have you tested your antenna? I apologize if you knew enough to try that all ready.
Old 05-08-2012, 7:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb2vxa View Post
If you have a known to be working antenna connected and it sounds like there is no antenna look inside for a broken connection. If at first you don't succeed use a bigger hammer. If all else fails dynamite works.
lol...Yeah I haven't cracked the case yet but I guess that's going to be next.
Sponsored links
Old 05-08-2012, 8:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonperson View Post
What do you have the switches / controls set on? Have you tested your antenna? I apologize if you knew enough to try that all ready.
No need to apologize, I'm open to any and all suggestions. I have two other CB radios that the antenna(K40) works great on. I've tried the switches on every possible configuration and still nothing but static. Guess I'll have to crack it open this weekend and see what's up.
Old 06-23-2014, 5:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DionW View Post
No need to apologize, I'm open to any and all suggestions. I have two other CB radios that the antenna(K40) works great on. I've tried the switches on every possible configuration and still nothing but static. Guess I'll have to crack it open this weekend and see what's up.
Hi Dion, any update on this? I recently came upon a 640 with the same problem: no transmission although when I key up with another working CB nearby on the same channel, the other will go silent but no voice is received.
Old 07-05-2014, 4:14 PM

HI,
The Superscope radios are full of cold solder joints, particularly around the PLL system. I have encountered two radios so far. A 140 belonged to a friend--he got it free--and a 640--I got that one free myself. They both did the same thing: no rx/tx, or acting completely bananas; push on the pc board near the pll chip and it cleared up. I haven't fixed the 140 yet but I did get my 640 going. In this case I reflowed several cold joints just because they were so terrible. Had to help but didn't solve the problem. Then noticed that some channels worked, some worked but were wrong, and others completely bonkers (not locking). The service manual is online at CBTricks (what a gift) and I compared my radio's behavior to the binary programming chart for the pll. Discovered that bits 5 and 6 must have been stuck at "1". Reflowed the joints that provided power to the chip that interrupted the data between the channel selector and the pll chip and it worked. Incidentally, there are four chips added at that point because of the channel 9 scan function.
I would suggest if you really feel motivated to fix the unusual rare Superscopes check for bad solder joints where the circuit is failing. PLL will stop rx/tx function. Also, the mic cord was shot, adding to the problem. Good luck. It is a pretty cool radio once working. Mine was in good condition so it was worth the effort to fix/learn.