• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Palomar 2400 Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

fasteddy64

Picked up a rough looking Palomar 2400 at a garage sale today.
Powers up, decent power out.
Here is the problem: On bands A and B it is on 28.135, no matter where the channel knob is, freq doesnt change.
Bands C and D is on 28.585.
Bands E and F are on 29.035

Any ideas as to what the problem could be?

Is this radio even worth messing with?
thanks,
Ed

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
No problem, just sell it to a ham! :)
It's not a legal cb to begin with.

n9zas

JayMojave

Hello Ed: Yeah ignor the unfriendly ham radio guys in this fourm. they were hall monitors that had their lunch money taken from them many times.

This radio may not be worth the repair bill, but if you look around the internet I am sure you find some info on it.

This problem happens when the PLL or oscillator doesn't work right.If you have test equip you can find the problem, something isn't mixing right or ,maybe even a channel switch problem. Suggest you get a service manual for it.

This guy has helped me fix a few radios with having the parts I needed.

Jay

fasteddy64

Hello Ed: Yeah ignor the unfriendly ham radio guys in this fourm. they were hall monitors that had their lunch money taken from them many times.

This radio may not be worth the repair bill, but if you look around the internet I am sure you find some info on it.

This problem happens when the PLL or oscillator doesn't work right.If you have test equip you can find the problem, something isn't mixing right or ,maybe even a channel switch problem. Suggest you get a service manual for it.

Jay

Thanks for the info Jay, I will see what I can figure out.
I have been a ham for 23 years and have no problems at all with CB'ers or CB radios. I love all aspects of the radio hobbies!

Ed
KG5UN

gewecke

Banned

Jay

UN-friendly? Really? Now moody sometimes, yeah that tag can be hung on me. I brown bagged my lunch,ha!
I've been known to be ugly when dealing with the whole cb menagerie due to past experiences with them.
I have little to no patience for stupid people, present company excluded of course,lol. :twisted:
As far as palomar, Years ago I had a 6meter amp that I didn't have a radio for so I'm not much help there.
I do hope you find what you need tho.

n9zas

Last edited:

fasteddy64

Well my latest tip was that the adder circuits are not telling the PLL what channel to go to.
I have no idea how to check or repair that.

70cutlass442

Premium Subscriber
and yet a another reason why i could care less to surround myself with the ham crowd. A simple questions asked in a CB forum reverts to someone playing interweb police.

gewecke

Banned
and yet a another reason why i could care less to surround myself with the ham crowd. A simple questions asked in a CB forum reverts to someone playing interweb police.

Simple question + simple minds = cb forum!

Some questions beg to differ because they are not as simple as they seem....

n9zas

fasteddy64

Please dont take such a view towards all Hams. Many of us love all forms of radio and still remember fondly where we got our start in the hobby.

k3cfc

Silent Key
This is the same as a Lafayette 2400 fm. i had one of these with the same problem and i changed both adders and this repaired this radio. note these radios are a real blister to work on.

Good luck

Chuck

fasteddy64

This is the same as a Lafayette 2400 fm. i had one of these with the same problem and i changed both adders and this repaired this radio. note these radios are a real blister to work on.

Good luck

Chuck
Pardon my ignorance but what is an adder?
How would I fix it?
Thanks,
Ed

k3cfc

Silent Key
Look in the front of the radio close to the pll ic and there should be two chips that have the same id numbers on them. these are responsible to make the pll chip operate. oh and by the way this radio is NOT a ham radio it is a dx radio.

fasteddy64

Thanks for the info, I will look for the chips when I get home tomorrow.

And yes, I know it's not a ham radio, that's why I posted in the CB forum!

Ed
KG5UN

k3cfc

Silent Key
It has been many years that i had one of these radios but i do remember that what they have are called binary adders. i don't think they are expensive but a pain in da ---to change. this why i always choose to put sockets in and if they go bad again it is just a matter of unplugging them and installing new ones. it is best to change both of them at the same time. now for checking them you would need a schematic and a chart to figure how these work. they can be used for many different applications. as these types of radios are neither cb or ham they are dx radios and i did at one time have a book on them. i don't know if i still have it.

Later Chuck

gewecke

Banned
Look in the front of the radio close to the pll ic and there should be two chips that have the same id numbers on them. these are responsible to make the pll chip operate. oh and by the way this radio is NOT a ham radio it is a dx radio.

Dx radio = commonly used illegally in the u.s. exported to the u.s. and marketed as "ham" gear.

n9zas

gewecke

Banned
So are you saying these radios are illegal on the ham bands, CB band or both?

Many hams don't want them due to the poor quality unless they're on a tight budget. As so far as those being used on cb, they are illegal in every sense.
Freebanders love them, or used to....

n9zas

Status
Not open for further replies.