• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Cobra 75 WX ST

Status
Not open for further replies.

MartinSteele

Hows it going guys? Im new to CBs but have always wanted one. I drive a 2 door Chevy Blazer so space is tight. I saw this Cobra 75 WX ST and think it is a perfect idea for my car. I just need to know if you guys know of a better option and what are your thoughts about this radio.

r_eugene1

Hows it going guys? Im new to CBs but have always wanted one. I drive a 2 door Chevy Blazer so space is tight. I saw this Cobra 75 WX ST and think it is a perfect idea for my car. I just need to know if you guys know of a better option and what are your thoughts about this radio.
It looks like a nice little unit the good thing is all of the controls being in the microphone which will let you mount the control unit under the seat or behind it. Here are a couple of videos on the radio, the last one show an installation. Good luck on your radio.

Cobra 75 WX ST Remote Mount CB Radio Review Overview/Review by CBRadioMagazine - YouTube

Cobra 75 WX ST CB Radio Installed - YouTube

MartinSteele

I Found this radio on Craig's List for $25. I was going to pick it up but i received another email and after the owner hooked it up he said the resistor was fried. so he said i could have it for free. is it worth picking up to try to fix it.

jimbr1

Just a suggestion...look up the reviews on amazon.com...might give you some idea about people's experiences with this set-up. Personally, with all the controls mounted on the mic, it might take your eyes off the road while driving.

r_eugene1

Just a suggestion...look up the reviews on amazon.com...might give you some idea about people's experiences with this set-up. Personally, with all the controls mounted on the mic, it might take your eyes off the road while driving.
I agree with jimbr1. Need to keep both eyes on the road while driving. There are other smaller radios out there that will fit in your Blazer and not compromise on yours or your passengers leg room and still give you good visibility of the radio controls. Do a google search for CB radios and look at all the different sizes, styles etc.

As for the resistor being fried you didn't say what part the resistor was blown in the mic or the main unit. But something caused the resistor to blow. May be more problems deeper that what you know. So if it was me I'd stay clear of it unless you want to pay to get it repaired which can be costly.

MartinSteele

i went to pick this radio up today for free pretty much just to see if i like the layout. i will to try to get it fixed because it looks pretty bad. i work a security job and i pretty much sit in my car for 10 hours overnight and thought it could provide some entertainment.the apartment building i patrol sits right by the "Grandview Triangle" in the Kansas City Missouri area were 3 interstates come together.

RodStrong

I have had this radio in my last two work trucks for approx. 7 years now and listen to it every day I work. We have a hand full more in other trucks that my coworkers use. No problems at all. The soundtracker function is worthless in my opinion. I have never been able to see any reason to use it. It is one of the few CB's that scans if that is of interest to you. I rarely use that function, but it certainly works well.

Another neat feature that could be of interest is you can buy a second remote box for 20-25 bucks, and install it in another car. Then if you want to move the CB to another car, all you have to do is conveniently unhook the handheld unit from the remote box cable with a twist and move the CB to the other car. Almost like having two CBs for the price of one.

If I wasn't in a situation where install space was at a premium, or I was a heavy business user (I moderately transmit on it, but have it on daily), I would likely choose a higher quality dash mount type CB vs. an all in one handheld unit, but this radio works fine for me and my co-workers.

If you do buy one, I would recommend you use an external speaker. These radios can be had new for less than a hundred bucks. There is also a discontinued, much rarer sister model (76XTR) that comes in blue neon color that pretty much does the same thing. You can still find them out there if you look around. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.