• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

You know, I just thought of something.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevedogan

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
All these amateurs out here and on qrz.com whining at me for having a 5 watt CB, strange how I never heard anyone complain that there are so many people working on them without a First Class General Radiotelephone Operator's License. That's in FCC Part 95 too! Point being again that does anyone really CARE anymore? There are things Uncle Charlie, mainly because of time, manpower and $ (or lack thereof!) doesn't do anymore.

stevedogan

Banned
Not according to the several copies of Part 95 that *I* have. I don't know....I was told by several amateurs that it was still needed for, among other things, because CB frequencies are pretty much right in the middle of everything, so there's more CB can interfere with -including fire/EMS, Smokey Bears, and planes & control towers. So they wanna' make darn sure the people that play with CB's know exactly what's what. Hmmmmmm.......

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
That rule used to say that CBs could only be serviced by someone holding a license that no longer exists (Radiotelephone Operators Class A License, IIRC, but IPDRC). There is no longer any wording requiring licensing, even for servicing. Only that the technician be certified as technically qualified.

stevedogan

Banned
Maybe those regulation pamphlets stuck in every CB box manufactured are outdated. I think the date on them is 1983? (The little 8 or 9 or 10 page thing with the cheap generic picture of that guy squished inside his little car with the CB mike up to his mouth that says "Citizens band radio regulations part 95 subpart D" written on the front)....know what I mean? I think the date on those is like 1983. Shouldn't they be making an updated copy? I mean, for 1 thing that kinda' proves my point about just how much Uncle Charlie does anything about CB today. When they don't even care enough to make the booklets up to date......

Token

Maybe those regulation pamphlets stuck in every CB box manufactured are outdated. I think the date on them is 1983? (The little 8 or 9 or 10 page thing with the cheap generic picture of that guy squished inside his little car with the CB mike up to his mouth that says "Citizens band radio regulations part 95 subpart D" written on the front)....know what I mean? I think the date on those is like 1983. Shouldn't they be making an updated copy? I mean, for 1 thing that kinda' proves my point about just how much Uncle Charlie does anything about CB today. When they don't even care enough to make the booklets up to date......

Those booklets are not provided by the FCC, but rather they are provided by the radio vendor. As far as I know there is no requirement for those booklets to be in the box, and if there was it would be up to the vendor to make sure it was an updated copy.

If indeed you are talking about recently made and sold radios you are asking the wrong question. The FCC makes a current version available for free on their web site, why has not the profits driven radio maker included a new version in the radio box?

T!

stevedogan

Banned
Effective June 3, 1983 (last known publication)
95.669: A copy of Part 95 Subpart D of the FCC rules current at the time of packing of the transmitter must be furnished with each CB transmitter marketed.
Current at the time of packing? Oh, really?? Every CB I've ever bought still has these original regulations. -And people say Charlie cares! HA! :)

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
I just checked. The ones we ship with the PRO505XL (latest one I have at hand) has current rules. You must be talking about those other guys. :)

stevedogan

Banned
"other guys"....cute. :)
I'll admit I haven't bought a CB in....what....about 12 years. So maybe they finally did wake up in Washington DC! But you'd think that even 10 or 12 years ago, it would've been time for an updated printing! *shakes head, rolls eyes*

"The one's we ship" ...Good! Send me one, huh? :)

Token

95.669 is no longer the requirement for rules to be shipped, 95.669 is now "External Controls". However, 95.673 is the requirement for a copy of the rules to be included, I incorrectly thought that requirement had been removed in 1996.

So wait, you are complaining that the radio you got 12+ years ago did not have todays rules in it? And what was the production date of that radio?

I just looked at the box for a radio I got in the late 90's, maybe around 98 or so. It was new old stock then, and the production date for the radio (still have it) is 1991. That radio came with a 1988 copy of the rules.

T!

zz0468

QRT
Banned
...Point being again that does anyone really CARE anymore? There are things Uncle Charlie, mainly because of time, manpower and $ (or lack thereof!) doesn't do anymore.

Generally, no one cares until some clod who doesn't understand what he's doing starts fiddling with his radio and starts interfering with some licensed service somewhere. Then, people care a lot.

stevedogan

Banned
So wait, you are complaining that the radio you got 12+ years ago did not have todays rules in it? And what was the production date of that radio?

I just looked at the box for a radio I got in the late 90's, maybe around 98 or so. It was new old stock then, and the production date for the radio (still have it) is 1991. That radio came with a 1988 copy of the rules.

T!

Oh I'm not complaining, just mentioning.

stevedogan

Banned
Generally, no one cares until some clod who doesn't understand what he's doing starts fiddling with his radio and starts interfering with some licensed service somewhere. Then, people care a lot.

Or if some amateur operator who thinks they're better than us because THEY had to get a LICENSE to run THEIR equipment *nose in air* whines too much. A lot of them aren't that way, but so many of them are....policing everything and everyone without any use of discretion. "The law spells out this, and that's all there is to it!" kind of attitude. Those are the kind of guys that take the fun out of radio.

zz0468

QRT
Banned
Or if some amateur operator who thinks they're better than us because THEY had to get a LICENSE to run THEIR equipment *nose in air* whines too much. A lot of them aren't that way, but so many of them are....policing everything and everyone without any use of discretion.

Yeah, that can be a problem. Some people take themselves pretty seriously. And just as bad are the ones that don't take themselves seriously enough.

"The law spells out this, and that's all there is to it!" kind of attitude. Those are the kind of guys that take the fun out of radio.

You might do well to study up on the early days of radio, when it truly was a free for all. There are pieces of spectrum where that's the case now, CB comes to mind. Some of the Part 15 services are pretty chaotic. But you have to keep in mind that one of the things that keeps radio useful to a lot of people is the fact that there are rules. There is a strong desire to keep the chaos confined to it's cage and not let it spill into more disciplined services.

When it comes to rules taking the fun out of radio, I would beg to differ. Knowing the rules, and being licensed opens a lot of windows to some REAL experimentation, and making radios do some pretty cool tricks. All without being annoying to everyone else.

But I'm not getting the sense that you care about that part.

stevedogan

Banned
You might do well to study up on the early days of radio, when it truly was a free for all. There are pieces of spectrum where that's the case now, CB comes to mind. Some of the Part 15 services are pretty chaotic. But you have to keep in mind that one of the things that keeps radio useful to a lot of people is the fact that there are rules. There is a strong desire to keep the chaos confined to it's cage and not let it spill into more disciplined services.

When it comes to rules taking the fun out of radio, I would beg to differ. Knowing the rules, and being licensed opens a lot of windows to some REAL experimentation, and making radios do some pretty cool tricks. All without being annoying to everyone else.

But I'm not getting the sense that you care about that part.

No, no, no :) I think you misunderstood what I said/meant. Not that I don't care, but there are those who want radio run almost like a semi-military operation, for lack of a better term. I guess I'm just saying that a little elbow room would be nice. -Having a 5 watt CB is the same as going 56 in a 55 zone. There's a difference between that and bleeding all over everyone 10 miles away, messing up radio or TV stations or EMS/police or plane traffic, etc. If my analogy is showing you what I meant before....? Elbow room instead of police state to put it short I guess. That's what makes it fun for me. :)

zz0468

QRT
Banned
No, no, no :) I think you misunderstood what I said/meant. Not that I don't care, but there are those who want radio run almost like a semi-military operation, for lack of a better term.

Perhaps I did misunderstand you. You've mentioned several times how you like to be annoying on the air, so that leads one to draw conclusions...

I guess I'm just saying that a little elbow room would be nice. -Having a 5 watt CB is the same as going 56 in a 55 zone.

No. Having a 5 watt CB is more like going 15 mph on an autobahn where the speed limit is more defined by the laws of physics. But yes, I agree. Elbow room is nice. The thing to do there is find a collection of radio people (ham or otherwise) that share your views.

I've been a ham for 35 years now, and it's just as fun for me as it was the day I started. I don't feel constrained by the rules, even though I follow them. And I don't feel stifled by the boring old men that appear to dominate the hobby. There are clusters of really brilliant people doing really neat things, and one just has to go find them. They won't come looking for you.

There's a difference between that and bleeding all over everyone 10 miles away, messing up radio or TV stations or EMS/police or plane traffic, etc. If my analogy is showing you what I meant before....? Elbow room instead of police state to put it short I guess. That's what makes it fun for me. :)

Yep. There's plenty of room to experiment and have fun, and it doesn't have to be a problem for everyone around you. Read. Learn. It can be done.

roadranger

Cobra 29 PLX

Current Radio, current rules. Best you can do to "fix" a radio is (drum role) use a dummy load to tune a radio, use a meter to tune the antenna, and tune the receive all by adjusting the controls on the outside of the radio, without having being a liscenced anybody.

Status
Not open for further replies.