RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Topic Specific Forums > CB Radio Forum

CB Radio Forum Discussions regarding Citizens Band Radio (CB)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-20-2012, 7:35 AM

Default Galaxy 959 No RX Please Help

I have been working on this rig for almost a month now. It has good TX with great Mod, but I can not hear anyone. I hear static on it, but never hear anyone talking and it is hooked to a good antenna. I have replaced the audio chip, but didn't do anything to it.

Can someone help me out and point me in the right direction?

Thank you for your help in advance.
Steve
Sponsored links

Old 10-26-2012, 5:11 PM

Maybe one of the adjustment pots on the inside of the radio got turned down? I was having received audio issues with another radio. It would receive but it was hard to understand most other stations except the strongest ones. Found the two pots on the board for it and adjusted them so everyone sounded clear. But if I turned them to far one way I could hear nothing.
Old 11-09-2012, 9:36 AM

Hello 25537: Trouble shooting from behind the keyboard isn't easy or the way to do it.

Here are some suggestions that might help.

Does the S-Meter work showing local stations are on the air? If so maybe a possible the Squelch is turned up too high, or the external speaker jack will only work with a external speaker. Worth trying a external speaker out.

By operating the controls and switches on the radio, will this bring up the audio?

While the radio is on, can you lightly tap the radio and listen for recived audio?

The Push to Talk (PTT) switch in the mic may have some sort of problem, try a another mic?

Is the RF Gain is turned all the way down (counter clock wise) ?

Can you switch thru the channels and then hear just a few channels?

A technican will put in a signal at the antenna jack and trace the signal thru the radio to find were it isn't, and repair the radio. May not cost too much.

Hope this helps, as not being there to share war stories, talk and annoy everyone for hours on end, and leavy way too late.

Jay in the Mojave
Old 11-11-2012, 7:17 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Default hairdryer

take a hairdryer and heat up the board you will find it is a crystal or bad solder joint, maybe first try flexing the board if that don't work use heat a crystal might be bad not unheard of. i have a 77 that i had many solider joints bad and a crystal go bad all led to same thing. time and trying figures it out . galaxy makes one hell of a radio just that you need to have some smarts and know how to keep them up and running mine is 17 yrs old and still works awsome deadkey 2watts and swings (dual final) 20
pm me if you need further info hams seem to shut the cb board down and give legal info and will bash you, I get nasty pm's from hams all the time . I'll probly get pm's from my post