• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Taboo

Status
Not open for further replies.

zzdiesel

Why is so much of the CB discussion here so wrong? I just saw a thread locked down. I enjoyed CB radio in the 70's & 80's more than computers, smartphones & etc combined. It was good times.

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
It's not that the discussions are wrong, It's the Anti-CB faction that gets in and makes every thread into a giant pissing match. I can think of a couple members (both hams) that should be excluded from the CB forum either by the moderators and Admins, or by staying out of everything (fat chance)

zzdiesel

Thanks. That is so true. There is nothing more sickening than a former avid CBer who get their Ham ticket and then start trashing CB and then putting all the CB guys down. I gave up a few friends over that.

jhooten

It is a two way street guys. There are a couple anti ham CB types that have to get in the middle of someone asking about getting a ham license and telling them hams are a bunch of snobs, you don't want to get involved with that, just get a CB instead. Then go one to extol the virtues of freebanding and illegal power amps and such. Plenty of agitating going on on both sides.

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
It is a two way street guys. There are a couple anti ham CB types that have to get in the middle of someone asking about getting a ham license and telling them hams are a bunch of snobs, you don't want to get involved with that, just get a CB instead. Then go on to extol the virtues of freebanding and illegal power amps and such. Plenty of agitating going on on both sides.

Most hams are snobs. (Statement and HERESY!:twisted:) They worked to get their license and they're not going to let anyone forget it. I've had my license since 91..Doesn't mean I am better, or worse than someone that perfectly happy with CB, I still own a few, and as a truck driver, use them. It just means I took a little deeper dive into the hobby.

I agree, if both sides would just leave each other alone everything would be fine. I just keep chanting the mantra: "Don't feed the trolls....Don't feed the trolls" and help where I can.

nonperson

While it does go both ways, it appears that the HAM "snobs" do the more of the CB bashing. Just my observation. :)
Personally I like all aspects of two way radios and consider none better than the other. However one may be better suited, over the others, in certain environments and or terrain.

LtDoc

How to stop all the bickering? Easy, just don't participate and shun the ones who do. Not the easiest thing to do but it certainly works. It's been happening since forever and I doubt if it ever really ends. Why? Cuz it's just too easy to get a 'rise' out of someone, it's entertaining, and once it gets started, it almost never ends. Some people will tear up anything just because they 'can'....
- 'Doc

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Should you read Lou's post as to why he locked the thread you'd understand the anti-CB minority was only one of several problems. The rest may be summed up as misinformation, in so many words "if you don't know what you're talking about keep your hands off the keyboard".

"While it does go both ways, it appears that the HAM "snobs" do the more of the CB bashing."

I totally agree but there's a BIG difference between those who try to advise that staying legal keeps you out of some SERIOUS trouble and the snobs that just plain hate CB so please don't paint us all with the same brush. Then there are the die hard CB outlaws who openly say "I'll do as I please and you can go to hell" who may be considered as trolls best ignored. They're looking for a fight and when you give them one you're stooping to their level and become part of the problem to which there is no solution, you'll never change a closed and very small mind.

mike_art03a

@zzdiesel

Don't worry, this isn't just limited to Ham vs. CB. I've seen it on PC forums too. I'm a PC tech by trade and I've seen 'enthusiasts' bashing techs and vice-versa, then there's the age-old traditional Mac vs. PC argument as well. As a forum admin for a small anime community, I've seen my fair share of trolling, etc.

Sometimes things need to be locked down to stop the never ending arguments before things seriously get out of hand.

SCPD

QRT
Seems ham ops think they are god !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SCPD

QRT
not all

your right not all but alot forget where they started and what they did. Now there a HAM oh boy big fricken deal show me you ticket I could care less. yeah the fcc is going to hunt me down and fine me, fyi fcc watchdog came to my house and asked me to turn it down that was all. If you keep it up we will file charges. thats what I was told!! I was coming across the jukebox in the bar next door the daycare phone, the car lot phone and the tv of a niebor. big deal I moved to the country. I was never against HAM ops till I started coming to this site and they tried to push there ego on me!

mike_art03a

I'm a Ham in training, but that being said, nothing wrong with good ole CB. It's the only guaranteed way that I can find out where the logging rigs are when I'm driving up north to go visit family. Also, the best way to connect with locals to find neat points of interest that never appear on maps or GPS.

I can't knock it, that's what got me interested in trying to get my Ham ticket. Also, might be the fact that a number of my uncles have CB radios in their vehicles. :p

N1XDS

ÆS Ø
It's because some people that don't act civilize and have a decent conversation about the CB radio hobby.

Last edited:

KB7MIB

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux i686; U; en-US) Gecko/20081217 Vision-Browser/8.1 301x200 LG VN530)

I'm all for any and all radio services that I can legally utilize. They all have their place. Amateur, CB, MURS, FRS, GMRS, even 49MHz, TriSquare's eXRS and the Motorola Part 15 900MHz FHSS radios.

KB7MIB

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux i686; U; en-US) Gecko/20081217 Vision-Browser/8.1 301x200 LG VN530)

I do believe in operating within the rules and regulations for each service. Having the appropriate license(s), using certified/type accepted radios, observing output power limitations, etcetera. But that's just me.

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Like I said; "I totally agree but there's a BIG difference between those who try to advise that staying legal keeps you out of some SERIOUS trouble and the snobs that just plain hate CB so please don't paint us all with the same brush."

I guess I could tell some 'till the cows come home but a closed mind never listens, only talks. Go on with your anti-ham tirades, I just consider the source and shrug it off.

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
There are extremists in both camps, in abundance here, and everywhere..

All I have left on this topic is a quote, don't remember where I heard it, but it stands true in all facets of life.

"He who angers you, controls you."

jhooten

Seems ham ops think they are god !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That right there is what I was talking about. Nothing productive to add, just stirring the pot.

your right not all but alot forget where they started and what they did. Now there a HAM oh boy big fricken deal show me you ticket I could care less. yeah the fcc is going to hunt me down and fine me, fyi fcc watchdog came to my house and asked me to turn it down that was all. If you keep it up we will file charges. thats what I was told!! I was coming across the jukebox in the bar next door the daycare phone, the car lot phone and the tv of a niebor. big deal I moved to the country. I was never against HAM ops till I started coming to this site and they tried to push there ego on me!

Do "they" not teach the use of you're, they're, capitalization, punctuation, spelling, and sentence structure in schools any longer? The response you get is probably caused by your attitude. The rebel act only goes so far before it gets annoying. The "the hell with the rules I'll do as I damn well please" attitude will eventually catch up to you. Push their ego on you, "Son, your ego is writing checks your body can't cash."

It would appear you got a visit from one of the guys who views his job as bring the station operation into compliance not raising revenue. You were lucky not all inspectors are so mellow.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.