• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Help in making a NEW CB Santa selection

Status
Not open for further replies.

darticus

Help in making a CB Santa selection
What would be the best pick for a CB for a base if you could buy it. Santa has been asking me questions on what I would want. I do have a tech ham license so this may help you guys that are up on this to make a suggestion. I don't stay up to date on stuff but use the older radios usually. Can you help with a great pick for me. PS Any options to add when buying please include. Thanks Ron

Last edited:

k8krh

Get a magnum 257, you can use it on 10 and 11 meters 2 for 1 ...
DOCTOR 795

SCPD

QRT
older galaxy moded awsome audio if done right.77hml,99v,88 what u prefer. don't listen to the ham ops that come here and tell u illegal and all there garbly goop. I have a 77 hml that blows serious smoke and runs a high drive 4 pill linear easy 300 watts. and it's 17 yrs still kicken *** moded 120% modulation and clear to the ear. been told that time and time again, on scope no, but real life awsome audio, walk all over town

Last edited:

Rt169Radio

Premium Subscriber
Well I don't have these radios, but they seem good to take a look at.

Cobra 148 GTL

Cobra 29LX

Uniden Bearcat 980SSB

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Motorola system 500 base station with stock mic. and no mods. ;)

n9zas

TheSpaceMan

How much to spend?

What would be the best pick for a CB for a base if you could buy it. Santa has been asking me questions on what I would want. I do have a tech ham license so this may help you guys that are up on this to make a suggestion. I don't stay up to date on stuff but use the older radios usually. Can you help with a great pick for me. PS Any options to add when buying please include. Thanks Ron
If you want a great HAM radio that will work well on CB, just,pick up an Icom IC-718. Simple modification will put you right on the CB band for AM and SSB. Around $600 new, $400 used.

JayMojave

Hello Darticus:

I have always liked the Corba 148 GTL, 148GTL DX, which is a close copy in the S9 Magnum. Yeah I agree the Motrola System 500 or 550 are great radios, but hard to find. The Mic's on the Motorola Radios will usually fail the extremely fine wire that makes up the dymanic mics will break. Can modifiy a Commerical Motorola Mic.

The Icom 718 will work, but I prefer the 746, or 746 Pro Icom Radios. I am gonna go look at a new Icom 7410 Radio this weekend, and may use it for a while before buying it. These radios have exelent adjecent channel rejection, sensitivity, and have spoiled me in their great performance. The DSP Digital Signal Processor, allow for fantastic ability to hear stations and signals in the mud and near other stations in frequency.

These Icom radios are user friendly, but reading the manual is a big help of course, I have run into a few radios that are user hostile, a hand held VHF/UHF radio that I sold for cheap, but paid dearly for. The radio needs to user friendly, so that you don't need the manual out all the time to do the simplist functions. Button-Olgy forward, or agin user friendy. Be advised some radio manufactures allow the software types to design the radios operating button-olgy, not a good thing. Like putting the cart in front of the horse!

CC: Santa Claus, North Pole USA

Jay in the Mojave Location, Mojave Desert, USA Just down the road ah ways from the fillin station.

falcon2950

Premium Subscriber
Base radio

I see allot of mobile radios being mentioned here. I agree they are great radios but you said base. I have 8 high end mobile radios so I know the radios mentioned. If you want a mobile to act as a base I saw somebody mention the Galaxy 99v. I agree GREAT radio but no longer made and you would need to find used that hasn't been tampered with to much. I had one and sold it. Bad move, so I got the replacement, Galaxy 94 big rig series. GREAT RADIO and more power than the 99v but no robot voice. But then again who needs that.
Now for a BASE radio I have a Galaxy 2517. Now this radio has been great to have. Talks real good (depending on the antenna you have) and I hit skip everywhere. Other radios I have may have more power but this has always been my fav base I have had yet.

Rt169Radio

Premium Subscriber
Along with a good radio you also need a good antenna, do you have any in mind?

falcon2950

Premium Subscriber
Along with a good radio you also need a good antenna, do you have any in mind?

Good antenna? Yes, but depends on your space and if your looking for a ground plane or beam.
I haven't been able to put up a beam yet. Still gonna be some time but I have a few ground planes and I prefer the Maco 5/8. I had fiberglass type antennas and they are good but after years of being up and weather in Ohio they tend to develope hairlins little cracks and cause RF around the neighborhood. Maco 5/8 aluminum works great and weather hasen't phased it at all.
If or when I can put up a beam I want to try to find a Moonracker 4 preferably. Otherwise Shooting star or something alog those lines.

k3cfc

Silent Key

For my money i would buy a uniden president hr 2510. make sure the first digit on the pll chip is an ( A ) so it can be converted. these are the simplest to do. you get 26.000 flat through 10 meters no skips no problems. and with a little know how you can get a whole lot more POWER from this radio than any other.

falcon2950

Premium Subscriber
Do you have a good reliable site with a good price to buy. What model is the best base? Thanks Ron

I have bought some equipment from Copper Electronics. Prices are not bad. Also check out Ebay when you decide what you want. Just check out the seller. There's allot of places to buy from out there, just make sure you check them out first. If you know of someone to do the conversion and peak it for you go that route. I do my own or a friend of mine does it. The only company I will let do it is Bells CB but he is a little pricey. His tuning methods are very similar to mine and he stands behind his work. But, like I said, if you know someone you trust locally,,,,,,

darticus

Do they make just a CB base or do they always have 10 meters in them? Is bell a good place to buy? Thanks Ron

I have bought some equipment from Copper Electronics. Prices are not bad. Also check out Ebay when you decide what you want. Just check out the seller. There's allot of places to buy from out there, just make sure you check them out first. If you know of someone to do the conversion and peak it for you go that route. I do my own or a friend of mine does it. The only company I will let do it is Bells CB but he is a little pricey. His tuning methods are very similar to mine and he stands behind his work. But, like I said, if you know someone you trust locally,,,,,,

falcon2950

Premium Subscriber
Do they make just a CB base or do they always have 10 meters in them? Is bell a good place to buy? Thanks Ron

I will assume your thinking Galaxy, or at least I will use Galaxy as the model manufacture with the reply.
Yes, they have 11 meter CB base radios. The Galaxy base is the DX 2547. Real nice radio. Friend of mine has one and another local in the area. The locals radio is not peaked and sounds good. My friends is peaked and sounds REAL good.
I do own a few "CB" radios but they are the radios on the side more or less. If you want versitility I would, and ALLWAYS do go 10 meters converted. Reasons are, they have the 10K switch so you can go to those frequencies between channels if you want to get away from the garbage and have a clean chat with someone else who has this type of radio capibilities. They can go below channel 1 and above 40 where you can find some good skip and talk around the world. Just dont want to stray to far off and upset the ham operators. They have open clarifiers so you have tuning capibilities and you get all the AM, FM, LSB, USB and FM. MAny more reasons but these are the prim reasons to go 10 meter converted. CB is good dont get me wrong, like I said I own,,, well more than a few and i use them but when I do serious talking and shoot skip there is no comparison to a 10 meter converted.
Hope this helps.

TheSpaceMan

For my money i would buy a uniden president hr 2510. make sure the first digit on the pll chip is an ( A ) so it can be converted. these are the simplest to do. you get 26.000 flat through 10 meters no skips no problems. and with a little know how you can get a whole lot more POWER from this radio than any other.
Yes, the HR-2510 is a really great 10 Meter radio that can easily be put onto 11 Meters. It is rock solid with a great receive.

Status
Not open for further replies.