RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Topic Specific Forums > CB Radio Forum

CB Radio Forum Discussions regarding Citizens Band Radio (CB)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-12-2012, 6:34 AM

Default I'm new and need help ASAP

I have a Crobra 29 NW LTD Classic CB radio with a 39 doller Radio Shack antenna on my merrier but when I key up the needle only goes up to to the "9" in the green NOT all the way up to the +30dB like I thought it should. Could this be an issue with the way I hooked it up ? A antenna issue ? What can I do to get the max power out of this thing ? I know it works because I talked to someone who was right behind me but I know that's not far. Then the next day i tried it and nobody answered me while i was on the (capital beltway) Any help with this would be appreciated.
Sponsored links
Old 11-12-2012, 8:01 AM
Database Admin
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Your CB is working just fine, that is exactly what your meter needle should do. The only reason it might go farther is if the radio was tweaked(illegally). The radio should be putting out the Max legal power but would only be able to be tested with a SWR meter. The best way to increase your RF footprint is going to be a better antenna. I am not a CB antenna expert but I'm sure someone on here could suggest some quality antennas.
Old 11-12-2012, 1:07 PM

Did you try looking into the SWR with the radio's internal SWR meter? I would start by looking at the SWR.

I would hazard a guess the radio is just fine, the meter can be made to show whatever just by adjusting the pots inside the radio...don't get hung up on the meter.

You may not have gotten any responses because it was Sunday, and the noise floor was extremely high (at least it was in SE PA), which will cause others not to hear you (either you can't get above the noise floor or they turned their radio off because they don't want to listen to it).
Old 11-12-2012, 2:17 PM
Completely Banned for the Greater Good
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Your radio is just fine, don't let the relative power function of the S meter fool you. The key word is "relative" so all it tells you is RF is coming out on transmit, nothing more.

There is nothing wrong with your CB set. Do not attempt to adjust anything. We are controlling transmission. If we wish to make it louder, we will bring up the volume. If we wish to make it softer, we will tune it to a whisper. We can change the modulation to a soft blur or sharpen it to crystal clarity. For the next hour, sit quietly and we will control all that you hear. We repeat: there is nothing wrong with your CB set. You are about to participate in a great adventure. You are about to experience the awe and mystery which reaches from the inner mind to — The Outer Beltway.
The Outer Limits (1963 TV series) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 11-12-2012, 3:31 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb2vxa View Post
Your radio is just fine, don't let the relative power function of the S meter fool you. The key word is "relative" so all it tells you is RF is coming out on transmit, nothing more.

There is nothing wrong with your CB set. Do not attempt to adjust anything. We are controlling transmission. If we wish to make it louder, we will bring up the volume. If we wish to make it softer, we will tune it to a whisper. We can change the modulation to a soft blur or sharpen it to crystal clarity. For the next hour, sit quietly and we will control all that you hear. We repeat: there is nothing wrong with your CB set. You are about to participate in a great adventure. You are about to experience the awe and mystery which reaches from the inner mind to — The Outer Beltway.
The Outer Limits (1963 TV series) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Warren, you are going to frighten the horses, poor things...
Old 11-12-2012, 6:05 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Location: Davenport,Fl.- home to me and the gators and the skeeters.
Default "...frighten the horses,..."

7734 he frightens me most times!!! lol
But as others posted, that meter is just a relative thing and that's all. An external swr meter would give you a better idea of what's happening, but you have to understand what it's telling you though.
(BTW, that 7734 above is the numerical for h*e*l*l.)
Old 11-12-2012, 8:39 PM
Completely Banned for the Greater Good
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I frightened the horses a long time ago. When was the last time you saw a horse on your street?

BTW that was just one of my speeches back in my CB daze, another was a one word change to the lyrics of I Am The Slime by Frank Zappa. My favorites were lyrics by Mark Bolan of T Rex, bizarre to say the least. Sometimes you feel like a nut, sometimes you don't. When the former turn on the CB, when the latter turn on the ham rig. Then there is the gang on 3885 who don't know the difference. (;->)