• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

I'm new and need help ASAP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris52

Premium Subscriber
I have a Crobra 29 NW LTD Classic CB radio with a 39 doller Radio Shack antenna on my merrier but when I key up the needle only goes up to to the "9" in the green NOT all the way up to the +30dB like I thought it should. Could this be an issue with the way I hooked it up ? A antenna issue ? What can I do to get the max power out of this thing ? I know it works because I talked to someone who was right behind me but I know that's not far. Then the next day i tried it and nobody answered me while i was on the (capital beltway) Any help with this would be appreciated.

ScanWI

MN & WI DB Admin
Database Admin
Your CB is working just fine, that is exactly what your meter needle should do. The only reason it might go farther is if the radio was tweaked(illegally). The radio should be putting out the Max legal power but would only be able to be tested with a SWR meter. The best way to increase your RF footprint is going to be a better antenna. I am not a CB antenna expert but I'm sure someone on here could suggest some quality antennas.

sdeeter19555

Did you try looking into the SWR with the radio's internal SWR meter? I would start by looking at the SWR.

I would hazard a guess the radio is just fine, the meter can be made to show whatever just by adjusting the pots inside the radio...don't get hung up on the meter.

You may not have gotten any responses because it was Sunday, and the noise floor was extremely high (at least it was in SE PA), which will cause others not to hear you (either you can't get above the noise floor or they turned their radio off because they don't want to listen to it).

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Your radio is just fine, don't let the relative power function of the S meter fool you. The key word is "relative" so all it tells you is RF is coming out on transmit, nothing more.

There is nothing wrong with your CB set. Do not attempt to adjust anything. We are controlling transmission. If we wish to make it louder, we will bring up the volume. If we wish to make it softer, we will tune it to a whisper. We can change the modulation to a soft blur or sharpen it to crystal clarity. For the next hour, sit quietly and we will control all that you hear. We repeat: there is nothing wrong with your CB set. You are about to participate in a great adventure. You are about to experience the awe and mystery which reaches from the inner mind to — The Outer Beltway.
The Outer Limits (1963 TV series) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jimru

Premium Subscriber
Your radio is just fine, don't let the relative power function of the S meter fool you. The key word is "relative" so all it tells you is RF is coming out on transmit, nothing more.

There is nothing wrong with your CB set. Do not attempt to adjust anything. We are controlling transmission. If we wish to make it louder, we will bring up the volume. If we wish to make it softer, we will tune it to a whisper. We can change the modulation to a soft blur or sharpen it to crystal clarity. For the next hour, sit quietly and we will control all that you hear. We repeat: there is nothing wrong with your CB set. You are about to participate in a great adventure. You are about to experience the awe and mystery which reaches from the inner mind to — The Outer Beltway.
The Outer Limits (1963 TV series) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Warren, you are going to frighten the horses, poor things...

KC4RAF

Davenport,Fl.- home to me and the gators and the s
"...frighten the horses,..."

7734 he frightens me most times!!! lol
But as others posted, that meter is just a relative thing and that's all. An external swr meter would give you a better idea of what's happening, but you have to understand what it's telling you though.
(BTW, that 7734 above is the numerical for h*e*l*l.)

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I frightened the horses a long time ago. When was the last time you saw a horse on your street?

BTW that was just one of my speeches back in my CB daze, another was a one word change to the lyrics of I Am The Slime by Frank Zappa. My favorites were lyrics by Mark Bolan of T Rex, bizarre to say the least. Sometimes you feel like a nut, sometimes you don't. When the former turn on the CB, when the latter turn on the ham rig. Then there is the gang on 3885 who don't know the difference. (;->)

Status
Not open for further replies.