RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Topic Specific Forums > CB Radio Forum

CB Radio Forum Discussions regarding Citizens Band Radio (CB)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-30-2012, 10:45 AM

Default DSP External Speaker

Hello All:

I have installed a West Mountain DSP External Speaker in my Pick-up Truck, and it works great!

The DSP (Digital Signal Processor) External Speaker goes for $219.oo American, but works quit well. Allowing me to hear far off stations normally heard with noise and such. Driving around near gas stations or intersections sometimes power line noise can be heard in the radio without the DSP External Speaker on, now with the DSP External Speaker on this noise is well attenuated, allowing some of the far away stations to be heard. This works well on my S9 Magnum Radio and HF Ham Radio in the Truck.

Anybody else use one?

Heres the West Mountain web site.

West Mountain Radio - Audio Ware

Jay in the Mojave
Sponsored links
Old 12-30-2012, 11:52 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

Yep, I have the first generation:

West Mountain Radio - CLRdsp ClearSpeech® DSP Noise Reduction Processor

with a Motorola HSN4030A:

HSN4030A External Speaker | eBay

In use in the shack, hooked up to my R75. Cant listen without it.
Old 12-30-2012, 3:10 PM

Jay, you're right. DSP works, but for the price I would buy a new Corba. Cobra has incorporated this technology into many of its radios, they call it 'Sound Tracker". I am wondering what type of HF ham rig you have since most (not all) of the newer ones come with DSP.
Old 12-30-2012, 6:51 PM

Hello Sloop: I didn't know that the cobra "Sound Tracker" was DSP, is it?

What is Sound Tracker?

The cost is yeah a little steep, for the DSP External Speaker, but what does a few dB of increased signal to noise ratio worth, that really works.

The Ham rig I have is Yazu 757 GTXII, a older radio, no audio or IF DSP. Its mostly used to listen in and around the bands.

Jay in the Mojave
Old 12-30-2012, 7:44 PM

Cobra Soundtracker technology is advertised by Cobra as DSP technology for CBs. It is available on the 25 and 29 nightwatch models. The only problem is that there is a set 'limit' on the processing levels with the Cobras where with the speakers you can vary the amount of processing. The HF rig you have was/is a good rig...and will last a long time if taken care of.
Sponsored links
Old 12-30-2012, 7:45 PM
Completely Banned for the Greater Good
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

You might want to read this: Cobra SoundTracker Technology
Old 01-01-2013, 8:19 AM

Hello Warren: Yeah I looked around at the Cobra Sound Tracker stuff.

This is what I was reading from the CB guys about it.

What's the verdict on Cobra's SoundTracker tech? [Archive] - Mauldroppers CB Radio Forum

I think I will try to contact the Cobra Co and get what they say. I didn't know "Sound Tracker" was both a transmit and recive function, per the Cobra web site there. I don't see how a inexpensive circuit put in a radio could come near the noise canceling and increased signal to ratio, the DSP Speaker gives.

Happy New Year

Jay in the Mojave
Old 01-01-2013, 1:53 PM

Don't confuse that 'SoundTracker' thingy with DSP, it isn't the same thing by any means. It amounts to transmitted signal processing. It changes the relationship between a transmitted signal's strength and the ambient noise of the frequency in use. And as 'they' say in their explanation, it isn't fool-proof by any means.
DSP comes in two 'versions, audio and RF. If you have the choice (and can afford it) the 'RF' version is preferred, it 'works' better. The audio DSP works too. The 'trick' with either of them is -moderation-! It can be over done until the results are completely not understandable. Another 'problem' with DSP is that it's never 'real-time', it always means a delay in what you hear. That delay isn't much at all, and doesn't amount to anything in most cases, but it certainly can be a problem.
- 'Doc
Old 01-04-2013, 7:04 AM

Hello Doc: Yeah good call there, I called Cobra In Ill and talked to a customer Rep, they agreed that the Sound Talker was NOT DSP. And from popular consists the Sound Tracker isn't a popular oprion.

The ever so slight delay and yes there is some audio distortion in the DSP External Speaker audio, but not enogh to care about.

But the difference is a significant increase in the signal to noise ratio, meaning stations once in the noise can be heard quit well. The analogy of this DSP External Speaker is like having your antenna leaning up next the house, and then having it at 50 Feet high. Or that old girlfriend you liked, calling you and asking out for a date. Or raising that new hot beam antenna on the tower, and not connecting the coax (did it once), then connecting it up, man what a difference.

This DSP External Speaker also has a 10 watt audio amp in it, and its plenty loud. I compared it to the Motorola 12 watt speakers, and its neck and neck for audio power.

Oh by the way I don't work for West Mointain Radio, I work for old, penny pinchening, hard to deal wirh, self centered, unshaven, penney wise and dollar foolish, hilter type, Formen. A Great guy!

Jay in the Mojave
Sponsored links
Old 01-04-2013, 12:52 PM

i just ordered one of there Noise Reduction Processors,, cant wait to try it out, and they are in wisconsin too shipping should be fast.
Old 01-06-2013, 9:06 AM

Hello Jay: Let us all know how that works out for you.

Jay in the Mojave
Old 01-08-2013, 3:01 PM

got it all hooked up last night, then of course there were no locals or dx happening,, did listen to a couple truckers for about 2 min and i can say it really cuts out the static, id say probly 50-60% reduction when the knob is in the 10-12 oclock position on am. it makes the am static sound like ssb static,, then in ssb mode with min static to start with it almost cuts it right off, to a very minimal level.. hopefully there will be some local talk tonight

jay
Old 01-08-2013, 7:13 PM

just playing with this unit talking to a guy on sideband, wow does it work great, it cuts out so much of the static and brings out the actual speech so much. i was able to turn up the volume and just here his audio clean and clear, i then turned it off and his voice was 1/2 covered in static/noise
Old 01-29-2013, 11:19 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Default Squelch Full Counterclockwise

When I roll on the road, I generally keep the RF gain on maximum while twisting the squelch all the way to the left. If I engage the squelch function, turning until the background noise goes silent, I can no longer hear distant transmissions.

Will a DSP speaker help in this type of situation?

Last edited by Ensnared; 01-29-2013 at 11:20 AM.. Reason: word removal