• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

GE 3-5871B vintage Base station

Status
Not open for further replies.

skintner

Greetings... newbie here, just passed Ham Technician & General, waiting for call sign.

I was recently given a GE 3-5871B CB base radio without a microphone. I have searched and found very little about this radio on the internet. What I did find was mic cable colors and pinouts for some Cobra powered mics.

My question: Can I use any cb mic with this radio or must I make mods to a standard mic? I have a couple mobile rigs that I haven't used in awhile that I can borrow a mic from one of them.

When I drove semi, I always had a tech "tune up" my radios to maximize their xmit output. Can that be done with this particular radio?

Thanks in advance for your help.
steve

skintner

GE 3-5871B

I understand there is a difference between the GE mic and the Cobra... can anyone tell me what mic I can use with this base unit? I can't do anything with it until I have a mic that works with it.

Thanks
steve
KG7BVF

dispatch235

Premium Subscriber
Here is a mic wiring chart... tx is "usually" red, rx is "usually" black, audio white, and shield is the braided shield around the audio wire... some old turner mics etc the tx and rx are reversed colors... a cobra mic should work rewired to the GE pattern...
Microphone Wiring Diagrams - www.WalcottCB.com

if you can find a Turner +3 desk mic they are usually excellent, Astatic D104's are good too but often used with the gain up too high... i always liked the old cobra desk mics too

Last edited:

skintner

Dispatch235, Thanks and greetings from Washington to Missouri. Most of my family is down in that part of the country.

I will look for a Turner or Astatic... probably take the cover off the GE and see if I can tell what is what with it.

steve

k3cfc

Silent Key
Greetings... newbie here, just passed Ham Technician & General, waiting for call sign.

I was recently given a GE 3-5871B CB base radio without a microphone. I have searched and found very little about this radio on the internet. What I did find was mic cable colors and pinouts for some Cobra powered mics.

My question: Can I use any cb mic with this radio or must I make mods to a standard mic? I have a couple mobile rigs that I haven't used in awhile that I can borrow a mic from one of them.

When I drove semi, I always had a tech "tune up" my radios to maximize their xmit output. Can that be done with this particular radio?

Thanks in advance for your help.
steve

Click on this link it has what you require.

General Electric page 02.

skintner

Thanks so much, K3CFC... I can do this thing now.

Of course, that will be *after* I take my Extra class exam tomorrow ;-)

steve
KG7BVF

Uhm, upon further examination, it appears that 1 and 4 are both connected to pin 3, or common ground... wouldn't that short the two to each other?

Last edited:

timlake

Premium Subscriber
GE mics

They use the exact pin layout and therefore the microphones as the realistic/radio shack radios. I use the mics interchangeably, (I have 4 Realistic radios and 3 ge.

Dawn

Interchange pins 1&2 and then 3&4 should turn a cobra connector into a midland mic providing it uses a dynamic element. Join the PTT ground and mic shield together.

Instead of butchering the mic connector and making it useless on your other radios, buy a cobra to Midland adapter from Workman for 4 bucks off E-bay or a dealer.

comoman

Premium Subscriber
I've got a GE Superbase 3-5875A and 6 GE radios over different models and all of the stock microphones are interchangeable.

Status
Not open for further replies.