• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Thread Sealer

Status
Not open for further replies.

TeRayCodA

I have used RTV silicon caulk before to seal out moisture on connectors before.That way,the connector can easily be taken apart.If you really want to do it 'the right way',Use some rubber self-fusing tape,around the connector,then,some Scotch electrical tape over that.Better yet,use the appropriate size of heat shrink tubing.

W2NJS

No.

If you're talking about thread sealer that gets put on the male plug just prior to connection i wouldn't do it. The only reliable way to get the connection apart later would be to heat the connection with a torch, and that would not be good at all for the coax near the connectors, or for the connection itself it if's soldered and not crimped. I would use the methods suggested above, and make sure you're using that yellow "stretchy" tape as part of the sealing operation.

KC4RAF

Davenport,Fl.- home to me and the gators and the s
As mentioned above, NO!

Should you ever need to work on that antenna, your s.o.l.
The previous posters gave you good ways to do it. There's also the liquid electrical tape found at Wally-World or Lowes box stores.

Also, before you apply the tape, RTV, or other methods, CLEAN the area you're going to apply the seal to. Did I say CLEAN the area? (alcohol comes to mind.)

Last edited:

LtDoc

I think in general, covering the connector with tape or whatever, then coating it with a sealant is a good way of doing it. If I have it, that liquid electrical tape is something I like to use over a layer of electrical tape. The tape is basically for easy removal of the liquid stuff without damage to the connector or feed line. Will it last forever? I have no way of knowing how long it'll last. Most of the connections I do like that last as long as the antenna does, which doesn't mean that it won't come down because I wanna try something else.
Good luck.
- 'Doc

JayMojave

Great replies here.

Yes you need to seal not only the treads, but the connector itself. PL-259 and "N" Type Connectors are not sealed from the elements, rain, moisture, and such. So sealing the connector from the elements is a must. I can't beleive how many antennas have been fixed just properly soldering the connectors after years exposed to the elements. And replacing the old date coded 1968 RG58 coax that is water logged. Most all these ways can have the seal removed with a exacto or stanly knife.

Good Luck

Jay in the Mojave

TeRayCodA

Wal~Mart carries the rubber self-fusing tape.Great stuff! It's in the plumbing section.Keep in mind,it is NOT,UV protected,so you will need to cover it with some good 3M electrical tape.I use the appropriate size heat shrink tubing.The stuff is all over eBay,and,pretty inexpensive.I think I gave about $4.00 for a 6ft roll that will fit a Type 'N',or, PL-259/SO-239 connector.

Status
Not open for further replies.