• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Another one bites the dust

Status
Not open for further replies.

sloop

It seems that "CB" operator has learned the hard way that the FCC does indeed care if they run power and disturb others. Mr. Nathaniel Johnson of Pittsburg, PA has been fined $18,000 for interference and refusing to let the FCC inspect his station. He was operating on channels 5, 6, and 8.....sound familiar? I for one am glad that the FCC got him. CBers like that makes it harder for the rest of us to enjoy the hobby. You don't need power to communicate, just a good, well matched antenna.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
+1 !

Hopefully this will start a trend, since there's plenty of candidates out there! :twisted:

n9zas

brey1234

Banned

gaburbano

Premium Subscriber
It always amazes me when I read these type of things. This person obviously has complete and utter disregard for the commission and its rules, not to mention his neighbors. Its probably because of the same response that his neighbors got from him, when they asked him about the interference, that resulted in the complaints to begin with.

I always wondered what the commission does when people refuse to pay. Do they have the power to forcibly collect, impose liens etc..

Just curious.

George

dattaway

If he would have only been polite, cooperated, and allowed the inspection. I knew someone who drew complaints of neighbors and the FCC gave him a visit. He let them in, they took his equipment, and that was the end of that. No games were played and no big case was started.

ThomasMcKean

Does anyone know what this guy's handle is? I am guessing this is NOT Motormouth Maul, as he claims to be in California. (I will be doing cartwheels the day I hear HE gets busted.) Do we know who this PA guy is? What he calls himself?

n5ims

According to the FCC (http://transition.fcc.gov/eb/Orders/2013/DA-13-1089A1.html), they didn't indicate that he was running more than legal power, only that his "CB station was causing interference to his neighbors' telephone and television reception" and that he failed to allow the FCC to inspect his station. This caused the FCC to restrict his station operation to overnight hours (11:30 PM to 8:00 AM), which he ignored. The fine was for repeatedly violating the imposed "quiet period" and repeatedly ignoring requests to allow the necessary station inspection.

In this Notice of Apparent Liability for Forfeiture and Order (NAL), we find that Nathaniel Johnson, owner and operator of a Citizens Band (CB) station in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, apparently willfully and repeatedly violated Section 303(n) of the Communications Act of 1934, as amended (Act),^ and Section 95.426(a) of the Commission's rules (Rules),^ by failing to make his CB station available for inspection by authorized FCC representatives; and also willfully violated Section 95.423 of the Rules, by failing to comply with the restricted hours of CB station operation as required in an official FCC notice.^ We conclude that Mr. Johnson is apparently liable for a forfeiture in the amount of eighteen thousand dollars ($18,000). In addition, we direct Mr. Johnson to submit, no later than thirty (30) calendar days from the date of this NAL, a sworn statement confirming compliance with the operational restrictions of his CB station and specifying a date and time for inspection of his CB station.

gewecke

Banned
According to the FCC (http://transition.fcc.gov/eb/Orders/2013/DA-13-1089A1.html), they didn't indicate that he was running more than legal power, only that his "CB station was causing interference to his neighbors' telephone and television reception" and that he failed to allow the FCC to inspect his station. This caused the FCC to restrict his station operation to overnight hours (11:30 PM to 8:00 AM), which he ignored. The fine was for repeatedly violating the imposed "quiet period" and repeatedly ignoring requests to allow the necessary station inspection.

Even that being the case, I'm still betting he was stretching his 4 watts by a few. ;)

n9zas

n5ims

Even that being the case, I'm still betting he was stretching his 4 watts by a few. ;)

n9zas

That just can't be the case. Folks would never run illegal power on their CB, would they? This poor guy probably just had some components that had started to fail and were out of spec, causing his radio to radiate where it shouldn't and to make things worse, a neighborhood squirrel had chewed his coax that was closest to his neighbor's house, causing it to radiate where it shouldn't. He probably didn't read those notices from the FCC and didn't understand what a "quite period" was. He also was most likely changing from some old worn out cloths into something more appropriate when the FCC knocked on his door and they left shortly prior to him being finished so he missed their visits.

Sorry, this is getting too tough to type out with all the laughter. No doubt he was running a "kicker" and his "hot mic" was pushing his CB into the 300% + modulation range, causing it to splatter everywhere.

gaburbano

Premium Subscriber
Maybe someday the FCC would realize what the police departments have already. Theres alot of money to be made from people's stupidity and arrogance in violating laws.
So if they would go after the radio ops who deliberately jam repeaters, and operate irresponsibly, they can make more money and we can enjoy the hobby better.

george

peterwo2e

$18,000 fine

It seems that "CB" operator has learned the hard way that the FCC does indeed care if they run power and disturb others. Mr. Nathaniel Johnson of Pittsburg, PA has been fined $18,000 for interference and refusing to let the FCC inspect his station. He was operating on channels 5, 6, and 8.....sound familiar? I for one am glad that the FCC got him. CBers like that makes it harder for the rest of us to enjoy the hobby. You don't need power to communicate, just a good, well matched antenna.

sadly this fine would never get paid, guy can't afford it!! but wait he can afford a high power amp? and those amps are not cheap. the real world there is not enough money to be made for the federal goverment to bust every guy on the chicken bowl. i read the story of Mr. johnnson. look what it took to nail this idiot! the fcc was begging this guy to go away for a while. in other words Mr. johnnson might as well get a pen and write his own fine. no brains + big amp = problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.