RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Topic Specific Forums > CB Radio Forum

CB Radio Forum Discussions regarding Citizens Band Radio (CB)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-18-2013, 8:05 AM

Default Another one bites the dust

It seems that "CB" operator has learned the hard way that the FCC does indeed care if they run power and disturb others. Mr. Nathaniel Johnson of Pittsburg, PA has been fined $18,000 for interference and refusing to let the FCC inspect his station. He was operating on channels 5, 6, and 8.....sound familiar? I for one am glad that the FCC got him. CBers like that makes it harder for the rest of us to enjoy the hobby. You don't need power to communicate, just a good, well matched antenna.
Sponsored links
Old 05-18-2013, 8:42 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Thumbs up

+1 !

Hopefully this will start a trend, since there's plenty of candidates out there!

n9zas
Old 05-18-2013, 10:26 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Smile cb'er busted

In this Notice of Apparent Liability for Forfeiture and Order (NAL), we find that Nathaniel
Johnson, owner and operator of a Citizens Band (CB) station in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, apparently
willfully and repeatedly violated Section 303(n) of the Communications Act of 1934,

http://transition.fcc.gov/Daily_Rele...-13-1089A1.pdf
Old 05-18-2013, 10:48 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

It always amazes me when I read these type of things. This person obviously has complete and utter disregard for the commission and its rules, not to mention his neighbors. Its probably because of the same response that his neighbors got from him, when they asked him about the interference, that resulted in the complaints to begin with.

I always wondered what the commission does when people refuse to pay. Do they have the power to forcibly collect, impose liens etc..

Just curious.

George
Old 05-18-2013, 11:32 AM

If he would have only been polite, cooperated, and allowed the inspection. I knew someone who drew complaints of neighbors and the FCC gave him a visit. He let them in, they took his equipment, and that was the end of that. No games were played and no big case was started.
Sponsored links
Old 05-18-2013, 12:54 PM

Does anyone know what this guy's handle is? I am guessing this is NOT Motormouth Maul, as he claims to be in California. (I will be doing cartwheels the day I hear HE gets busted.) Do we know who this PA guy is? What he calls himself?
KK4ISK / WQPK331
Old 05-18-2013, 8:57 PM

Default cb'er busted

This was already posted

Sent from my iPhone yes iPhone using Tapatalk app thingy
Old 05-18-2013, 10:07 PM

how much power wae this guy putting out?
Old 05-18-2013, 10:09 PM

how much power was this guy putting out?
Sponsored links
Old 05-19-2013, 12:23 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

1.21 Gigawatts
Old 05-19-2013, 12:40 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkube396 View Post
how much power wae this guy putting out?

Obviously more than the allowed 4 watts...

n9zas
Old 05-19-2013, 12:54 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

According to the FCC (http://transition.fcc.gov/eb/Orders/...13-1089A1.html), they didn't indicate that he was running more than legal power, only that his "CB station was causing interference to his neighbors' telephone and television reception" and that he failed to allow the FCC to inspect his station. This caused the FCC to restrict his station operation to overnight hours (11:30 PM to 8:00 AM), which he ignored. The fine was for repeatedly violating the imposed "quiet period" and repeatedly ignoring requests to allow the necessary station inspection.

Quote:
In this Notice of Apparent Liability for Forfeiture and Order (NAL), we find that Nathaniel Johnson, owner and operator of a Citizens Band (CB) station in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, apparently willfully and repeatedly violated Section 303(n) of the Communications Act of 1934, as amended (Act),^ and Section 95.426(a) of the Commission's rules (Rules),^ by failing to make his CB station available for inspection by authorized FCC representatives; and also willfully violated Section 95.423 of the Rules, by failing to comply with the restricted hours of CB station operation as required in an official FCC notice.^ We conclude that Mr. Johnson is apparently liable for a forfeiture in the amount of eighteen thousand dollars ($18,000). In addition, we direct Mr. Johnson to submit, no later than thirty (30) calendar days from the date of this NAL, a sworn statement confirming compliance with the operational restrictions of his CB station and specifying a date and time for inspection of his CB station.
Old 05-19-2013, 1:04 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by n5ims View Post
According to the FCC (http://transition.fcc.gov/eb/Orders/...13-1089A1.html), they didn't indicate that he was running more than legal power, only that his "CB station was causing interference to his neighbors' telephone and television reception" and that he failed to allow the FCC to inspect his station. This caused the FCC to restrict his station operation to overnight hours (11:30 PM to 8:00 AM), which he ignored. The fine was for repeatedly violating the imposed "quiet period" and repeatedly ignoring requests to allow the necessary station inspection.
Even that being the case, I'm still betting he was stretching his 4 watts by a few.

n9zas
Old 05-19-2013, 3:42 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by gewecke View Post
Even that being the case, I'm still betting he was stretching his 4 watts by a few.

n9zas
That just can't be the case. Folks would never run illegal power on their CB, would they? This poor guy probably just had some components that had started to fail and were out of spec, causing his radio to radiate where it shouldn't and to make things worse, a neighborhood squirrel had chewed his coax that was closest to his neighbor's house, causing it to radiate where it shouldn't. He probably didn't read those notices from the FCC and didn't understand what a "quite period" was. He also was most likely changing from some old worn out cloths into something more appropriate when the FCC knocked on his door and they left shortly prior to him being finished so he missed their visits.

Sorry, this is getting too tough to type out with all the laughter. No doubt he was running a "kicker" and his "hot mic" was pushing his CB into the 300% + modulation range, causing it to splatter everywhere.
Old 05-19-2013, 4:04 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Maybe someday the FCC would realize what the police departments have already. Theres alot of money to be made from people's stupidity and arrogance in violating laws.
So if they would go after the radio ops who deliberately jam repeaters, and operate irresponsibly, they can make more money and we can enjoy the hobby better.

george
Sponsored links

Old 05-19-2013, 6:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gewecke View Post
Obviously more than the allowed 4 watts...

n9zas
yeah i get that 50, 100, 500, 1000?
Old 05-21-2013, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioDaze View Post
1.21 Gigawatts
???? Where did this figure come from?
KK4ISK / WQPK331
Old 05-21-2013, 12:19 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

"Back To The Future"
It's the amount of power required by the "Flux Capacitor" to enable Doc Brown's (Christopher Lloyd) DeLorean to travel backwards or forwards in time.
1.21 gigawatts?! - Dr. Brown & Marty - Back to the future - YouTube
Old 05-21-2013, 4:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioDaze View Post
"Back To The Future"
It's the amount of power required by the "Flux Capacitor" to enable Doc Brown's (Christopher Lloyd) DeLorean to travel backwards or forwards in time.
1.21 gigawatts?! - Dr. Brown & Marty - Back to the future - YouTube
Yay!

Wouldn't surprise me if he WAS using that much. Great day he was even getting into the telephones!
KK4ISK / WQPK331
Old 05-22-2013, 6:42 AM

Default $18,000 fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloop View Post
It seems that "CB" operator has learned the hard way that the FCC does indeed care if they run power and disturb others. Mr. Nathaniel Johnson of Pittsburg, PA has been fined $18,000 for interference and refusing to let the FCC inspect his station. He was operating on channels 5, 6, and 8.....sound familiar? I for one am glad that the FCC got him. CBers like that makes it harder for the rest of us to enjoy the hobby. You don't need power to communicate, just a good, well matched antenna.
sadly this fine would never get paid, guy can't afford it!! but wait he can afford a high power amp? and those amps are not cheap. the real world there is not enough money to be made for the federal goverment to bust every guy on the chicken bowl. i read the story of Mr. johnnson. look what it took to nail this idiot! the fcc was begging this guy to go away for a while. in other words Mr. johnnson might as well get a pen and write his own fine. no brains + big amp = problems.