RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Topic Specific Forums > CB Radio Forum

CB Radio Forum Discussions regarding Citizens Band Radio (CB)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-31-2013, 8:43 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

I would love to have a VHF or UHF "CB". Too bad it will never happen.
Sponsored links
Old 10-31-2013, 1:20 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

CB is already on VHF, UHF. As mentioned MURS, GMRS, FRS, and other, so called open frequencies. The profanity coming out of the mouths of users is strictly CB. And don't forget that VHF will duct so longer distances are possible. At least on MURS, GMRS, FRS we are not subject to the HHEELLLOOOs that 11 m has. At least not yet. In the early days of CB 11 m there was none of this crap either but as more and more got into it, CB went into the gutter of stupidity.
Old 10-31-2013, 3:50 PM

"MURS, GMRS and FRS are not subject to the HEELLLOOOs that CB has; at least not yet."

You must not monitor 462.5625 during summer/Christmas break periods or major national/federal holidays, do you? ;o)
Old 11-01-2013, 8:52 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I agree that MURS is a nice band. Like many farmers, we gave up our LMRS license several years back when cellphones became common. It was a mistake, you cannot beat the ability to pick up a mic or an H-T and just talk. We tried FRS but the range was horrible. Equipped with MURS H-T's this year and it is working great for us. The other day I was able to talk to my combine from about 4 miles away, amazing what you can do with 2 watts. Pretty silent in this area, I occasionally hear some people talking when I'm in town but never out where we're working. I think it is still a fairly well-kept secret in this part of IND.
Old 11-01-2013, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by washburn830 View Post
Since MURS came out I've found it really useful as a two way radio for real world use. I caravan a lot with my wife and we use for that and for backpacking, off road trips with my buddies. You name it, we use 'em for everything! Even the two watt hand held radios seem to talk further and more reliably than the AM 27Mhz CB.
I agree with everything you're saying, but I have found CB usable for 1-mile communication even when the skip is raging. I just find a channel without a lot of high-power stations and crank up the squelch. Sometimes channel 7 is nice b/c people avoid it b/c of splatter from high-power stations on 6.

I agree CB should have been on VHF b/c skip makes it hard to use during the day.

I agree with these other people who say CB is crap, BUT I like the fact that there's a band where it's a free-for-all with no rules. I would NOT want all radio to be that way, but I'm okay with about 1 MHz of spectrum being a crazy free-for-all.

If you and your friends/family don't like profanity, FRS is better. If you don't mind hearing it once or twice, you can use $20 antennas, dirt cheap CBs, crank up the squelch, and easily talk one mile while avoiding all the nonsense.
Sponsored links
Old 11-01-2013, 1:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N4JKD View Post
The 5th frequency of MURS was used my our local Walmart, and was calling for someone once and they told me to get off of frequency. I told them no, it is a free channel per the FCC, and perhaps they may want to refer to a business frequency, but that frequency is MURS and free for anyone to use. He got snooty with me so I went to the store and found the guy to prove the point to him. I showed him the rules and they now use a different frequency.

Jason, N4JKD
Old 11-01-2013, 1:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_vader View Post
"MURS, GMRS and FRS are not subject to the HEELLLOOOs that CB has; at least not yet."

You must not monitor 462.5625 during summer/Christmas break periods or major national/federal holidays, do you? ;o)
Is FRS Channel 1 worse than other channels?
Old 11-01-2013, 2:03 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I agree with the OP's ideas. The MURS channels are a wonderful resource. I've used them myself on caravans through the state and they work great. In our area Walmart does in fact use MURS channels 4+5 and they can be heard at least 1 mile away or more if you have a good antenna and receiver. I know of one report of MURS channels being dominated by a group with high-power equipment in the Los Angeles area. In San Diego, GMRS channels are occupied by Spanish speakers except for repeater outputs where I here English speakers. FRS is where the kids are at playing.

I don't have a CB nor have I ever used one. When I was scanning CB channels with the Uniden, all I heard was chaos and some crazy guy rapping non-stop.
Old 11-01-2013, 2:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KK6DXD View Post
I don't have a CB nor have I ever used one. When I was scanning CB channels with the Uniden, all I heard was chaos and some crazy guy rapping non-stop.
The only good thing about CB is there are no rules, so you can talk right over a crazy rapping guy and not worry about. It really wonder who those guys are who runs thousands of watts. They didn't just roll out of bed and get on there. They probably can power their station on a 15A 120V breaker. They had to do some work to get it set up. Then they get on the air and have unintelligible conversations.

I would never intentionally interfere with normal people having a conversation. But most of CB is just people screaming nonsense. So you can just key up and not worry about anything.

On that rare occasion where run into a normal person or group just ragchewing, it's like a special treat, like a rare band opening or something.
Sponsored links
Old 11-01-2013, 2:15 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I have three others here that have murs radio and we talk to each other often on 151.880 because walmart is on 154.570,we live about 5 to 6 miles from each other and have to problem with comunication.great form of local communication.
Old 11-01-2013, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrweather View Post
Unfortunately, that's the problem. CB was never meant to be a long-distance mode of communicating. That's what amateur radio is for.

There is GMRS which eliminates the "squawk boxes" issues.
But the Op is asking talking about VHF not GMRS.
Old 11-02-2013, 12:11 AM

[QUOTE=cgervasi;2064127]The only good thing about CB is there are no rules,

Sir,
You are totally wrong CB is license by rule same as MURS/FRS.While you may not find much enforcement on the CB band there is rules you are supposed to follow.I know hardly anyone does it any longer and you can tell it by listening to it for a very short period of time.

This is the fault of the FCC,when they created the mess after removing the CB license and went license by rule.When everyone did license themselves there was discipline on the radio,once it was dropped it seemed like a toilet overflowed and today's CB operators are now the result.

You have the ones who run excessive power and ruin it for the rest or someone always wanting to fight or sell drugs,etc.When you turn some good into a free for all what do you expect.I grew up in the CB era and watched,learned,listened.It was a time when people did the right thing and were fearful of getting caught.

The new generation seems to know it all have a chip on their shoulder and flaunt whatever they wish without fear of anything.People can see this in every day life if you look and it is not just radio related.it is in every thing people to,everyone now days thinks someone owes them something or complain about rules or regulations,oh let's not forget the entitlements...Have a good weekend!!!
Old 11-02-2013, 12:28 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

AMEN!
Old 11-02-2013, 12:28 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

MURS seems dead here. I often monitor but hear nothing.
Old 11-02-2013, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by washburn830 View Post
Imagine a CB that doesn't suffer from nasty skip blasting through when you're trying to talk to a guy a mile away! Think about how small and convenient a tiny mobile vhf mobile radio could be!

I know cell phones have taken over but there are still a lot of circumstances where a short range (5 miles) radio makes better sense.

Thoughts?
Since you asked, here are my thoughts...

Your ideas are a solution looking for a problem, and I strongly suspect the FCC will share that opinion. Here's why...

For starters, there IS essentially a UHF CB already. It's called GMRS, and it has it's roots as Class A Citizen's Band. It requires an easy to obtain license, and conveys enough performance to be able to make serious use of it. Drawback, it's probably crowded in some areas.

Then there's CB. An RF free-for-all. It has become a hobbyist band, although it was never intended for that. It's got lots of things to hate about it, not the least of which is a complete lack of decent quality radios. AM in and of itself isn't so bad. It works great for aircraft. But run on a cheap POS radio, on 27 MHz, and 4 watts. Well...

There is MURS and FRS... VHF and UHF portable radios. Great for things like camping, caravaning in cars, light job site usage, etc. etc.

Gotta need for a serious business radio? Then get a Part 90 license, or buy trunked service from someone. Drawback? It ain't cheap.

And then there is amateur radio. Pull the stops out on just about everything, and run what you want - with reason, and within the law. Drawbacks? You gotta take a test, and you can't use it for business purposes.

So, it seems to me there's already a radio service for just about every possible need. There really isn't a need for another. For the hobby types complaining about 27 MHz CB, get real, and get a license. It's NOT that difficult.
Old 11-02-2013, 1:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spd640 View Post
But the Op is asking talking about VHF not GMRS.
But why create a new service, or expand an existing service on VHF, when what the OP is asking for already exists on another band?
Old 11-02-2013, 2:23 AM

In Alberta and British Columbia in Canada they kind of have that with the Ladd channels aka basic 10 channels. some roads have a mandatory channel you must be on with certain ctcss codes. or the channel LADD# 1 acts similar to a channel 19 chat channel. Alot of truckers that run the mountains and logging/oil roads do not even have cb's in there trucks just these vhf radios
Old 11-02-2013, 8:28 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2FB071 View Post
Or had the FCC just done what many other nations did in the late '70s, they could have legalized FM on the 11-meter band.

This would still be a welcome modification to the existing service, the odd European FM capable radio slips in from time to time but since the introduction of UHF in Australia (and the new 80 channels) the 27Mhz segment remains almost unused, great place to chase DX and chat to locals as most of the foul mouthed neanderthals are now using UHF (thanks to those same users many repeaters have since been shut down).
Old 11-03-2013, 4:06 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by KB7MIB View Post
Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (BREW; Opera Mini/6.0.3/27.2338; U; en) Presto/2.8.119 320X240 LG VN530)

No, that makes them all Personal Radio Services. Only Part 95, Subpart D is CB.
(The GMRS used to be known as Class A of the Citizens Radio Service. It was never Class A of the Citizens Band.)
Correctly stated....

n9zas
Old 11-03-2013, 11:56 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (BREW; Opera Mini/6.0.3/27.2338; U; en) Presto/2.8.119 320X240 LG VN530)

And not to start a chicken-or-the-egg discussion, but CB radio didn't go down the toilet because the FCC went from issuing licenses to license-by-rule.
The FCC went to license-by-rule because too many CB operators weren't licensing to begin with, let alone following the other rules.
I honestly hope the GMRS doesn't suffer the same fate. But that's another thread.