RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Topic Specific Forums > CB Radio Forum

CB Radio Forum Discussions regarding Citizens Band Radio (CB)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-18-2013, 10:20 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by WQJI916 View Post
I tried that internet CB. I hooked my Turner +3 to my computer and the first time I keyed the mic I fried my computer. Never again. I'll stick with the real CB, thanks!!
I still have my Turner +3 Basestation microphone and a RS CB/SSB unit with K-40 magnet antenna.
Sponsored links
Old 12-19-2013, 2:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stingray327 View Post
I still have my Turner +3 Basestation microphone and a RS CB/SSB unit with K-40 magnet antenna.
I've had a Turner +2 for years! Great mike, and it works well on a variety of radios.
Old 12-19-2013, 2:45 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Default P25 CB

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkman21218 View Post
Part 95 - Subpart D - Rules for CB Service
Citizens Band (CB) Radio Service
Rule 12 Permitted Communications
{A} You may use your CB station to transmit two-way plain language communications. Two-way plain language communications are communications without codes or coded messages. Operating signals such as "ten codes" (10-4, etc.) are not considered codes or coded messages. You may transmit two-way plain language communications only to other CB stations
I don't see anything here negating the possibility of having P25 CB's.
Old 12-19-2013, 3:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ensnared View Post
Really? Check the emmission designation for class D CB. Last time I checked, only AM and Sideband phone were permitted.
Old 12-19-2013, 3:40 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default The State of CB in 2013

...and as I see it P25 is a coding system. Now if they were all locked into the same digital code approved by the FCC you would be one step closer.
Sponsored links

Old 12-19-2013, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSpaceMan View Post
I've had a Turner +2 for years! Great mike, and it works well on a variety of radios.
Remember those D104 base station microphones?
Old 12-19-2013, 11:15 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by stingray327 View Post
I thought CB licenses ended in the late 70's.
Read this,
Citizens Band (CB) Service | FCC.gov
Old 12-19-2013, 11:18 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
It says You may use your CB station to transmit two-way plain language communications. Two-way plain language communications are communications without codes or coded messages. Like a few others have said P-25 is coded.
Old 12-20-2013, 12:38 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Default Definition Of Coded Message

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkman21218 View Post
It says You may use your CB station to transmit two-way plain language communications. Two-way plain language communications are communications without codes or coded messages. Like a few others have said P-25 is coded.
Since I've not investigated this information, I wonder which code they are making reference to in the statement. Does this mean 10 codes? I remain unconvinced that the term "coded" is referring to computer-coded messages. I believe it is referencing 10-codes, like APCO ten codes.

The same type of language was embedded in the Homeland Insecurity training I received when I worked for the Texas Department of Corrections.

Per Incident Command protocol, no coded transmissions were to be used, only plain English.

Laws can change. From what I understand, some Ham operators are using digital transmissions. If they were to go to 10 meters and use digital capabilities, what would be the difference? Of course, I'm still looking to see what Ham bands have gone to digital transmissions. This is a new area of interest to me & I'm in the process of learning more, including FCC-worded definitions.

Last edited by Ensnared; 12-20-2013 at 12:46 PM.. Reason: wording
Sponsored links
Old 12-20-2013, 2:39 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default The State of CB in 2013

10 codes and Q codes are common knowledge and are allowed on most, dare I say all bands. They do actually mean computer encoded or any other cipher or codes being disallowed on CB.
Old 12-20-2013, 3:00 PM

The emission designator 8K10F1E is for P25 Phase I C4FM voice

Per FCC regulation §95.631 Emission types.
(c) A CB transmitter may transmit only emission types A1D, H1D, J1D, R1D, A3E, H3E, J3E, R3E. A non-voice emission is limited to selective calling or tone-operated squelch tones to establish or continue voice communications. See §95.412 (b) and (c).

Do you see F1E anywhere in that list? No. P25 voice is not an authorized mode of operation on CB and it has nothing to do with codes and cyphers.

I read it on the internet, so it must be true.
Old 12-20-2013, 3:13 PM

Quote:
Since I've not investigated this information, I wonder which code they are making reference to in the statement. Does this mean 10 codes? I remain unconvinced that the term "coded" is referring to computer-coded messages. I believe it is referencing 10-codes, like APCO ten codes.
As was quoted in post 139 Part 95 §95.412 (CB Rule 12) What communications may be transmitted?

Clearly addresses this issue:
(a) You may use your CB station to transmit two-way plain language communications. Two-way plain language communications are communications without codes or coded messages. Operating signals such as “ten codes” are not considered codes or coded messages.

The full body of part 95 can be found here: http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx...1.1.5&rgn=div5

Old 12-20-2013, 4:11 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Default Spot-On

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhooten View Post
As was quoted in post 139 Part 95 §95.412 (CB Rule 12) What communications may be transmitted?

Clearly addresses this issue:
(a) You may use your CB station to transmit two-way plain language communications. Two-way plain language communications are communications without codes or coded messages. Operating signals such as “ten codes” are not considered codes or coded messages.

The full body of part 95 can be found here: eCFR — Code of Federal Regulations
I must have missed that written remark. Thanks for clearing this up.

Enough said, back to scanner forums.
Old 12-20-2013, 4:18 PM

No problem. That's why I added the bold. Sometimes it is easy to over look stuff.

In a few days we can put this one to bed and start a whole new one.

Old 12-27-2013, 2:46 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Take one look at EBay auctions featuring desirable CBs of yesteryear...the Cobra 2000s, President Madisons, TRC-457/459s, Tram D201 series...Browning Golden Eagles, Dak, SBE, Robyn, Lafayette SSB stuff...the list goes on.

Somebody is buying up all of those estate-sale rigs - and I doubt they're going back into storage.

The Akron area used to have a channel congestion problem: Too many disparate groups, not enough legal spectrum. Some folks got their amateur tickets and went that route. Others took to the so-called "freeband" and operated there until boredom, death or the FCC set in.

It's fairly quiet at the moment...no one is on Ch19 and our sole remaining chat channel has dried up for the night as well. But that doesn't mean people aren't listening; at any given time I monitor 38LSB and at least one more area channel simultaneously. Make no mistake that when skip's up - legal or not - people are going to DX. My receivers still roar when an Es or F-layer event sets up and the locals always rise to the occasion.

Earlier in the thread it was mentioned that no mobile antennas are ever seen. Not only isn't that the case here, but the number of them seems to be increasing a bit - if you know where to look. The same goes for fixed-station 11M antennas.

If I listen above or below the CB band with a general coverage receiver I can almost always find some sort of activity, skip or not. That little slice of RF spectrum is far from dead.

All four of my touring motorcycles and one of our cars have some form of CB rig installed. We use them (along with the accompanying ham gear) often while on the road.

"Reports of my demise have been greatly exaggerated!"
Sponsored links

Old 12-27-2013, 6:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8YX View Post

Earlier in the thread it was mentioned that no mobile antennas are ever seen. Not only isn't that the case here, but the number of them seems to be increasing a bit - if you know where to look. The same goes for fixed-station 11M antennas.

I find the same thing around here as I am always looking at antennas on vehicles. I have noticed a slight increase as of late. A lot of young guys with 4X4's etc seem to have em. I think they think it's "cool" to have. (which yes it IS cool!) They are too young to remember the fun and how busy the CB used to be. However I think they have seen it in movies and such. How much they are using their radio's or if they really know how is another question though. I guess I will have to fire up my base station and educate them!!! When I go up logging roads I will often put on channel 4. I can hear tons and tons of guys 4X4ing on both sides of the lake. A short drive down the highway will also find lots of activity. Even though a lot of truck drivers are investing in VHF equipment they still have CB.
Old 12-27-2013, 7:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8YX View Post
Take one look at EBay auctions featuring desirable CBs of yesteryear...the Cobra 2000s, President Madisons, TRC-457/459s, Tram D201 series...Browning Golden Eagles, Dak, SBE, Robyn, Lafayette SSB stuff...the list goes on.

Somebody is buying up all of those estate-sale rigs - and I doubt they're going back into storage.

The Akron area used to have a channel congestion problem: Too many disparate groups, not enough legal spectrum. Some folks got their amateur tickets and went that route. Others took to the so-called "freeband" and operated there until boredom, death or the FCC set in.

It's fairly quiet at the moment...no one is on Ch19 and our sole remaining chat channel has dried up for the night as well. But that doesn't mean people aren't listening; at any given time I monitor 38LSB and at least one more area channel simultaneously. Make no mistake that when skip's up - legal or not - people are going to DX. My receivers still roar when an Es or F-layer event sets up and the locals always rise to the occasion.

If I listen above or below the CB band with a general coverage receiver I can almost always find some sort of activity, skip or not. That little slice of RF spectrum is far from dead.

All four of my touring motorcycles and one of our cars have some form of CB rig installed. We use them (along with the accompanying ham gear) often while on the road.

I have noticed an increase in 11 Meter activity as well! Perhaps because the sunspot cycle is still good for DX? There also seems to be an increase in local traffic in the NY, NJ and CT areas as well.
Old 01-01-2014, 7:20 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

The State of CB in 2013? It's over man.

(SOMEBODY had to make this post
Old 01-01-2014, 8:13 AM

N4JKD,

Would you like the honors of starting "The State of CB in 2014? 2013 has been a very popular thread.
Old 01-07-2014, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSpaceMan View Post
Mine is from the early 1970's.