RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Topic Specific Forums > CB Radio Forum

CB Radio Forum Discussions regarding Citizens Band Radio (CB)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-08-2013, 2:48 PM

Default 2006 Kenworth

I drive a 2006 Kenworth Roll Off truck iam having issues with SWR being high I get a sqeal in the speaker with talk back on .The antenna's are 3 ft fiberglass Whips I put on but the mounts are factory mounted as well as the coax.
Will grounding the antennas help?.SHOULD I sand the mounts where the studs go to get a better connection there .
It looks like they never had a CB in the truck and there is some road grime on the mirrors and mounts so I will be cleaning that off
Sponsored links

Old 12-14-2013, 4:41 PM

Likely the antennas are not tuned for that truck. Clean off any grime and try clipping your antennas and see if that improves your situation. Could also be getting feedback through your coax, so if it is feasible, get good low-loss cable like RG-8.
Old 12-14-2013, 5:29 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

The squeal may be happening if your mic and speaker are facing each other or get too close to each other.
Old 12-14-2013, 7:30 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Sounds like he is running dual antennas on the mirrors and that requires a phasing harness of a very specific length made from 75ohm coax. In this case RG-8 would not be appropriate. Even with a single antenna, RG-8 is overkill in a mobile unless your running maybe 500w or more.
prcguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redneck0410 View Post
Likely the antennas are not tuned for that truck. Clean off any grime and try clipping your antennas and see if that improves your situation. Could also be getting feedback through your coax, so if it is feasible, get good low-loss cable like RG-8.
Old 12-14-2013, 7:46 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by freqs View Post
I drive a 2006 Kenworth Roll Off truck iam having issues with SWR being high I get a sqeal in the speaker with talk back on .The antenna's are 3 ft fiberglass Whips I put on but the mounts are factory mounted as well as the coax.
Will grounding the antennas help?.SHOULD I sand the mounts where the studs go to get a better connection there .
It looks like they never had a CB in the truck and there is some road grime on the mirrors and mounts so I will be cleaning that off
The issue sounds like it is am aftermarket Talkback job. Any reputable CB shop can change the resistor value in the talkback to eliminate that for you.
I've seen this a bunch with 'aftermarket' talkback jobs.
Sponsored links