• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

question right size power supply

Status
Not open for further replies.

pinhead

Will a pyramid ps-15- kx - 10a run a cobra 29 an a 175 watt power amp ,,,or do my buddy need a bigger power supply thanks ,,,if need bigger what size he need thanks

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Probably not.
A 100 watt amateur radio transceiver needs somewhere north of 20 amps. A 175 watt amp is going to need quite a bit more. The CB itself probably only pulls 2 or 3 amps.

I'd be looking for a 40 amp supply, just to cover things. That is, of course, if it really is 175 watts. Only way to know for sure is to use an ammeter to check the real current draw.

JayMojave

Hello Pinhead: Yeah what mmckenna said....

If it really is a 175 watt out put amp it will need 30 amps to run. But some amps are advertised as 175 watts but really only put out a little less like 120 watts.

175 x 2 = 350 / 12 = 29.16 amps.

A 40 Amp supply would run both the amp and the radio with ease. Good luck.

Jay in the Mojave

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
I haven't been censored for a while, so will ask, is a 175 watt power amp legal on the crappy band?

RC286

If you can find a dead older fat PS3 (that powers up) which you should be able to find quite cheap or free.
The power supply in those puts out up to 35A @12v

Very easy to interface. Just have to tie 2 wires from the control line together to power it up, and just switch the mains lead. This is how I did mine.

I use one on my base setup. works great.
My friend also uses one on his 80W PEP import rig.

Cheap easy and beefy SMPS supply, they put out very clean power too.

JayMojave

Hello PH: I know some amps use the number like 175 as a model number, so the output power probably isn't the same, probably less power. Based on experience. But some amps did do what there model number was, a few. My Maverick 250 did 250 on the nose with a General Radiotelephone Super MC-11A driving it.

Good call on the SMPS Power Supply.

Jay in the Mojave

Status
Not open for further replies.